ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Line level sound - How Far?  (Read 20557 times)

Steve Moland

Line level sound - How Far?
« on: October 10, 2012, 03:00:44 PM »

For outdoor sporting events I currently send mixed PA voice and music via speaker output 500-600 feet to Peavey PR15 speakers using 12 ga wires. I can't tell the difference in the sound from speakers 100 feet away. These distance speakers point to separate area where the sound delays don't clash.

I have a need to get the same mix on the far side of a large building, total run about 1000 feet. I plan to put a second amp in the middle and feed it a Line level signal.

Does line level carry as far as normal speaker output. I know it seems to go well between powered speakers at 200 feet but I've never tried anything longer.

If need be I've got plenty of smaller mixer amps that can take line-in on an input channel [where I can ad gain] and then feed line out forward in a chain.
Steve Moland
Announcers/Emcee and sound systems
Endurance Sports Event Announcing & Management
Road Races  -Triathlons
Adventure Races - Open Water Swims

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
Re: Line level sound - How Far?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 03:19:20 PM »

For outdoor sporting events I currently send mixed PA voice and music via speaker output 500-600 feet to Peavey PR15 speakers using 12 ga wires. I can't tell the difference in the sound from speakers 100 feet away. These distance speakers point to separate area where the sound delays don't clash.

I have a need to get the same mix on the far side of a large building, total run about 1000 feet. I plan to put a second amp in the middle and feed it a Line level signal.

Does line level carry as far as normal speaker output. I know it seems to go well between powered speakers at 200 feet but I've never tried anything longer.

If need be I've got plenty of smaller mixer amps that can take line-in on an input channel [where I can ad gain] and then feed line out forward in a chain.
If balanced, thousands of feet - much farther than speaker level.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 03:27:21 PM »

Put the amp next to the speakers. Eventually you will get losses with balanced line level through shielded twisted pair, but they will be barely measurable at 1000', not noticeable. I have run line level over 3000' that then went to broadcast.

Mac

Steve Milner

• DcSoundOp Audio Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 03:37:28 PM »

Balanced line level audio can travel 1000' quite easily. Depending on what gear you are specifically using to send the signal, you may or may not find a need to add gain with an additional device. I would bet you will not need anything additional.

Running speaker level signal 600 feet however, even using 12 gauge speaker cable, can result in quite a bit of loss. It would be far more efficient to locate the amplifier closer to the speakers, and keep the speaker level run as short as possible (<100').

Steve

Steve Moland

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 04:25:40 PM »

Thanks to all you guys for the encouraging news on line level travel.

As to speaker placement, I normally keep my total runs to about 200 feet but every so often the venue is split into separate areas. As I mentioned the perceived loss hasn't been an issue because I normally use lots of speakers with lower volume (run from mixers with dual internal amps at 2 ohms per amp. IE 8 8 ohm speakers).  This gives better coverage without blasting any one area.

regards

Steve
Steve Moland
Road Races  -Triathlons

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 04:30:23 PM »

As to speaker placement, I normally keep my total runs to about 200 feet but every so often the venue is split into separate areas. As I mentioned the perceived loss hasn't been an issue because I normally use lots of speakers with lower volume (run from mixers with dual internal amps at 2 ohms per amp. IE 8 8 ohm speakers).  This gives better coverage without blasting any one area.

regards

Steve
2 ohms isn't good practice.  It's hard on your amp, as well as the 2 ohm speaker load accentuates your line losses.  You'd be far better off doing a series-parallel wiring scheme to get it back to 8 ohms per leg.

Steve Milner

• DcSoundOp Audio Blog
Line level sound - How Far?
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 04:46:02 PM »

regards

Steve

Fwiw; eight x 8 ohm speakers in parallel would be a 1 ohm load on the amp, figuring in the added ~600' of 12 gauge cable on the run and it's rather impressive that you haven't let the magic smoke out of those amps yet.

I would seriously consider a different deployment / wiring scheme, before any costly or permanent damage is done. It's great to use more (distributed) boxes at a lower SPL per box, but its gotta be done correctly if you want it to be reliable and safe for your gear.

Steve Moland

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 04:55:56 PM »

2 ohms isn't good practice.  It's hard on your amp, as well as the 2 ohm speaker load accentuates your line losses.  You'd be far better off doing a series-parallel wiring scheme to get it back to 8 ohms per leg.

I know 2 ohms isn't really all that good but I'm between a rock and hard place as to what I do and where.

BTW, I wasn't clear on the eight 8 ohm speaker use.  Only 4 speakers are used on each of two internal power amp. All my amps are dual amps with each output channel rated at 2 ohms.

I often have to set up in the dark early AM, rain or shine. They don't cancel road races. Total time on site is 5 to 6 hours unless it's a marathon.  Triathlons are often near water. That means sand, fog and salt spray if near the ocean. My cables take a beating but my wife makes them and I replace connectors regular for corrosion.

I have to use gear that travels well and survives handling by event volunteers. These are not  gigs where they pay for roadie crews and during the event gear may have to be moved because starts, finishes  pre and post race areas may not be in the same place.

I use Mackie 1400i power amps front ended with little XenyX mixers and Mackie 808 mixer amps. All seem to handle 2 ohms. The 808s will pop out once in awhile if running in the hot sun under a higher volume. I always use 2 of those together when I've sun exposure. A quick switch some wires and I'm back running in 30 seconds. The 1400i amps are tanks. The speakers are all Peavey PR12 and PR15 which can be handled roughly and fair well in the rain, often better than the voice that is driving them :)
Steve Moland
Road Races  -Triathlons

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, 05:26:03 PM »

Fwiw; eight x 8 ohm speakers in parallel would be a 1 ohm load on the amp, figuring in the added ~600' of 12 gauge cable on the run and it's rather impressive that you haven't let the magic smoke out of those amps yet.

I would seriously consider a different deployment / wiring scheme, before any costly or permanent damage is done. It's great to use more (distributed) boxes at a lower SPL per box, but its gotta be done correctly if you want it to be reliable and safe for your gear.
600' of 12ga wire is about 1 ohm.    Add in all the jacks to plug in the amp plus 8 speakers and it wouldn't be hard to find another ohm.  The cable length would make this significantly easier on the amp than if it was truly a 1 ohm load.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2012, 05:30:01 PM »

I know 2 ohms isn't really all that good but I'm between a rock and hard place as to what I do and where.
For speech reinforcement you can probably get away with what you're doing.  If you're attempting to do music or get much level out of the system, going series-parallel will make a big difference - both on how hard your amp has to work, and in the cable losses, which cost you output.

Depending on how you generally set up your 8 speakers, I'm pretty confident you could do a series-parallel setup easily with a couple project boxes, some jacks, and creative wiring.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2012, 05:30:01 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 22 queries.