ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Any reviews of the new JBL PRX400 series?  (Read 43684 times)

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
Re: Any reviews of the new JBL PRX400 series?
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2012, 10:04:24 PM »

So JBL puts 20 year old speakers in their new line and they sound better than the SRX series, which share some of the same drivers as the VRX and Vertec line.  And on top of that, those new, well built cabinets have increased the power rating of those old drivers by 33%!   Moving manufacturing to Mexico has worked miracles for JBL. ;)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 11:10:19 PM by Chuck Simon »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2012, 11:26:06 PM »

So JBL puts 20 year old speakers in their new line and they sound better than the SRX series, which share some of the same drivers as the VRX and Vertec line.  And on top of that, those new, well built cabinets have increased the power rating of those old drivers by 33%!   Moving manufacturing to Mexico has worked miracles for JBL. ;)

It probably has more to do with the passive crossover design than anything else.  The transducers are mostly mature technology that has been proven to thousands of world-wide users.  We still use some of them in our proprietary speaker systems, and I'd hazard a guess that companies like Clair still do, too.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mike Stewart

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2012, 12:13:52 AM »

Ok, so back to me (and the PRX400's)...  ;)

I've spoken with a local JBL rep and it seems that despite the fact that the PRX400 series has the same prefix as the PRX600, and despite the fact that the JBL rep at NAMM referred to the PRX400 as "the passive version of" and "the passive brother to" the PRX600 series, apparently the two series share exactly none of the same components.  Not brothers at all.  Not even distant cousins. 

That said, the general consensus (coming exclusively from people selling or marketing these speakers) is that the PRX412M sounds notably better than the JRX112MI.  For an extra $300 / pair (+40%), I would hope so, but I'm not convinced.  I just don't want to pay the extra money and end up with a JRX level speaker in a new fancied up cabinet that clearly isn't even as road-worthy.  I'm going to try to find some PRX412's so I can actually hear them first-hand but I rather suspect in the end I may just end up redirecting my $1000 speaker budget to the Yamaha Club S112V's and spending the difference on one of those cool fog machines. ;D

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2012, 01:58:55 AM »

Despite the statement that Harmon owns Selenium, this is the first time that I am aware of that JBL has used drivers that don't have the JBL label.  I don't know, they might sound great, but I would consider used SRX or even 4700 series speakers if I were in the market for  speakers in that price range.

Mike Stewart

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2012, 12:39:37 AM »

Just got this back from an exceptionally helpful JBL distributor who contacted JBL's "chief engineer / designer" who provided this clarification on the PRX400 series.  This is likely the best component information available on this series anywhere on the internet.  It's clear from this description that part (maybe even most) of the upcharge from JRX to PRX400 is based on the cabinet itself, although there are component differences to consider as well.

"The 15” woofer in the PR415M and PRX425 is the same model as is used in the JRX115 and JRX125, as stated on the individual model specification sheets.  The PRX418S uses a JBL Selenium 18” woofer, and the PRX412M uses a new 12” woofer, both of which are different from their JRX counterparts.

Compared to the JRX100 Series, the PRX400 Series uses a higher performance compression driver, plywood instead of MDF enclosure construction, a more professional grille, handle and overall enclosure design and appearance, DuraFlexTM finish instead of carpet, and includes ten M10 suspension points.  All of these elements combine to make the PRX400 Series a more professional and premium product than the entry-level JRX100 Series.
"

Travis_Valois

« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2012, 10:58:10 PM »

As a long time "fan" of JBL I hope that is true.  I just find it curious how the same 2206 and 2226 drivers have gone from 600 watts in the 4700 series to 800 watt drivers in the STX series!
The 800 watt rating is based on 2 hours of pink noise test duration, not a 100 hour duration as was done previously to give the 600 watt rating.

Travis_Valois

« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2012, 11:03:52 PM »

he subs seem to have more "chest thump" and the tops seem to have a more rich and fuller sound for vocals. But I've only heard the single 18" sub and 15"/horn top speaker all power by ITechs.

All the cabinets are well built.
The subs should sound better, as they use 2242 transducers instead of the 2241. The 2242 is superior to the 2241 in both sound, performance, and power handling.

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2012, 12:05:22 AM »

The subs should sound better, as they use 2242 transducers instead of the 2241. The 2242 is superior to the 2241 in both sound, performance, and power handling.

What subs are you talking about?  The PRX418 uses a Selenium driver.

Travis_Valois

« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2012, 08:51:08 AM »

What subs are you talking about?  The PRX418 uses a Selenium driver.
The PRX400 series is not a direct replacement for the MRX. It's more like between the JRX and MRX.

I think the STX sounds a little better than the SRX. The subs seem to have more "chest thump" and the tops seem to have a more rich and fuller sound for vocals. But I've only heard the single 18" sub and 15"/horn top speaker all power by ITechs.

All the cabinets are well built.
Chuck, I was referring to Jamin's comment on the STX subs sounding better than the subs from the SRX series. I know the PRX400 series uses Selenium components.

Bill Hornibrook

« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2012, 01:10:41 PM »

Compared to the JRX100 Series, the PRX400 Series uses a higher performance compression driver
This could potentially make a big difference in the performance of this new line. The JRX compression driver is frankly horrible.
The PRX418S uses a JBL Selenium 18” woofer, and the PRX412M uses a new 12” woofer, both of which are different from their JRX counterparts.
Then the only driver the PRX400 series has in common with the JRX line is the 15. Hopefully the 18" sub will sound better than it's JRX counterpart too.

It would appear that the two series really don't have all that much in common. I hope not anyway.

ProSoundWeb Community

ยซ Reply #29 on: October 13, 2012, 01:10:41 PM ยป

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 25 queries.