ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multizone music playback  (Read 6082 times)

Chris Clark

• Jack of many trades, Master of few.
Multizone music playback
« on: October 08, 2012, 03:10:56 PM »

Trying to reorganize and consolidate a multizone system at my employer since it has been hodgepodged together from the start.

Long story short, multiple BGM sources to multiple zones, router based so not everything goes to the same place all the time.

What products are out there that could potentially play different files to different outputs (say, something that plays files from folder A to output 1, folder B to output 2, etc) or the like? This is continuous BGM, not message repeating (that's already taken care of, more or less). Or are you just using racks full of multiple players?

Right now we're using a PC for the main areas, and then a couple cd players for the smaller areas. I'd like to get off of CD players if possible just to make it easier to dynamically change the playlists as necessary. Is there anything capable of playing separate "playlists" simultaneously to different outputs or would my best bet be to just get a rack of SD players (SS-R100 or DN-F300/400)?
Technical Services Coordinator
Entertainment System Designer
Darien Lake Theme Park, Darien Center NY

Patrick Moore

Multizone music playback
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 04:21:35 PM »

I've seen multiple instances of playback software opened on a PC and routed to different outputs in the sound card.  Down the chain a little, a dbx ZonePro handled local zone level control, and was networked back to the playback PC for easy adjustments.  Worked pretty well.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
Re: Multizone music playback
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 07:56:54 AM »

Before getting into the technical side, how are you addressing the legal side in terms of rights for public performance, potentially having or creating copies (or even multiple copies) of copyrighted content, etc.?  Also, how often do you envision changing playlists or content and who is going to be responsible for creating and managing the content and playsists?  I ask these questions as many Clients I have worked with have found it simpler to contract the music content services, which may then affect the sources involved and how they can be addressed.

Chris Clark

• Jack of many trades, Master of few.
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 11:52:08 AM »

We do report playlists and attendance to BMI and/or ASCAP (or something along those lines... that's above my pay grade though, I'm just the sound guy... There is reporting done though, I know that, I've seen the checks cut for that purpose)

The powers that be wish to keep the song selection within our control, many years ago we did use DMX for music, but that was a time when it was one source of music going everywhere, and the new owners wanted more control over what was played.

That said, I'm well aware there are legal ramifications if things are not taken care of higher up the chain of command, but as an employee and not a contractor I'm just designing as I'm told. I know they are aware of potential legal issues and I know they are aware of reporting, etc...
Technical Services Coordinator
Entertainment System Designer
Darien Lake Theme Park, Darien Center NY

Jason Lavoie

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 06:51:48 PM »

We do report playlists and attendance to BMI and/or ASCAP (or something along those lines... that's above my pay grade though, I'm just the sound guy... There is reporting done though, I know that, I've seen the checks cut for that purpose)

The powers that be wish to keep the song selection within our control, many years ago we did use DMX for music, but that was a time when it was one source of music going everywhere, and the new owners wanted more control over what was played.

That said, I'm well aware there are legal ramifications if things are not taken care of higher up the chain of command, but as an employee and not a contractor I'm just designing as I'm told. I know they are aware of potential legal issues and I know they are aware of reporting, etc...

There are many companies like http://www.pcmusic.com/ that work like DMX but using their PC based music server on your premises that gets updated with their content so you can make custom playlists and categories.. last I checked they had multi-zone versions.

Jason

Jimmy Wright

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 06:59:32 PM »

Use NUVO.  The have an interface that logs into your itunes, or media folder (for those against itunes) and allows the user to select playlists, folders, ect via a web gui.

Trying to reorganize and consolidate a multizone system at my employer since it has been hodgepodged together from the start.

Long story short, multiple BGM sources to multiple zones, router based so not everything goes to the same place all the time.

What products are out there that could potentially play different files to different outputs (say, something that plays files from folder A to output 1, folder B to output 2, etc) or the like? This is continuous BGM, not message repeating (that's already taken care of, more or less). Or are you just using racks full of multiple players?

Right now we're using a PC for the main areas, and then a couple cd players for the smaller areas. I'd like to get off of CD players if possible just to make it easier to dynamically change the playlists as necessary. Is there anything capable of playing separate "playlists" simultaneously to different outputs or would my best bet be to just get a rack of SD players (SS-R100 or DN-F300/400)?
Jimmy Wright
Tolar AVL

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 01:05:09 PM »

PC's can be acquired for so cheap -if not free -and it doesn't take much to make a box play music.  also using something like Ubuntu instead of windows makes the cost even less.  Just set up a stack of PC's as players.  Used ipods work good too, but being so small they tend to "walk".  There are also even cheaper no-apple players too
I have seen a friend run several instances of music players simultaneously on a large linux PC with multiple soundcards.  Never asked him how he did it but it took quite a bit of customizing and terminal usage to make it run stable.

Craig Hauber
CSA Productions Inc.

Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Wei Lu

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 08:00:58 PM »

« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 12:24:20 PM by Wei Lu »

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 09:53:31 PM »

Here's a rack-mount system with up to 12 sound cards (buy only as many cards as you need). Each sound card independently plays WAV/MP3 off a flash card.

http://eletech.com/Products/Audio_Repeaters/QuikWave_Systems/RM31A/rm31a.htm

By the way, I work for the manufacturer.

Hello Wei Lu -

Please read the rules regarding manufacturers' participation on the PSW forums. 

You may not suggest your own products.

Thank you for your cooperation. 
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 09:53:31 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 24 queries.