ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: EV DH-7 magnet question  (Read 9365 times)

Goerge Thomas

EV DH-7 magnet question
« on: October 08, 2012, 03:22:22 AM »

I have a set of EV QRX 212's that I got from a seller. I opened them up and it turns out the boxes have two different HF driver magnets. Both use DH-7 diaphrams but one uses an EV magnet that the QRX boxes comes with
http://www.electrovoice.com/product.php?id=391

One looks like that, EV OEM magnet
the other has a magnet a whole 2 inches more in size , also older magnet and thicker. Yet it has a DH-7 diaphragm mounted to it on the QRX 212 horn.

My question is what magnet is this? and what are the possible outcomes of using this much heavier and larger magnet on my QRX 212 HF driver. will it sound different or be mis matched? Wouldn't I want an exact HF driver magnet match for them all to same the same? Or is this just fine and I won't notice?

Conrad Muzoora

• Mbarara, Uganda. www.koolinvestments.co.ug
    • Kool Events Uganda
Re: EV DH-7 magnet question
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 06:18:24 AM »

I Have a buch of qrx 115/75 boxes(Which use the same HF Drivers) and have never seen that big magnet before.
The bigger(More powerful) magnet may make the HF section of the particular box more sensitive than it should be and may create an imbalance between the woofers and the HF if it is not corrected for in the cross over. Listen to how they sound and decide whether its worth the trouble to buy the original (They cost around 400$ or so!)
Conrad
www.kooleventug.com

Jared Bartimus

• Normal, IL
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 06:50:11 AM »

I have a set of EV QRX 212's that I got from a seller. I opened them up and it turns out the boxes have two different HF driver magnets. Both use DH-7 diaphrams but one uses an EV magnet that the QRX boxes comes with

the other has a magnet a whole 2 inches more in size , also older magnet and thicker. Yet it has a DH-7 diaphragm mounted to it on the QRX 212 horn.

My question is what magnet is this? and what are the possible outcomes of using this much heavier and larger magnet on my QRX 212 HF driver. will it sound different or be mis matched? Wouldn't I want an exact HF driver magnet match for them all to same the same? Or is this just fine and I won't notice?

It looks like the DH6 driver in my XI-1152's.

Using the XI-1152 datasheets to compare, the DH6 is about 2dB more sensitive than the DH7, has identical power handling, and a similar frequency response.

paul bell

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 07:16:34 AM »

Not the first time I've seen weird stuff from EV. Maybe they ran out of the proper magnets and used the larger one to get a cabinet order out.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 08:15:49 AM »

What does EV say about this?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Goerge Thomas

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 08:26:47 PM »

What does EV say about this?

I will contact them soon. I did not buy them from EV like this,. I bought them second hand like this. It appears to be a DH-6 magnet with a DH-7 diaphragm. Interesting. I will do a few side by sides to see if I can tell a difference. I have 4 QRX 212's with 2 a side so I think it won't be noticeable if it's 2 a side with ONE box like this. I will report back after I hear from EV and after My first show with them this friday

Conrad Muzoora

• Mbarara, Uganda. www.koolinvestments.co.ug
    • Kool Events Uganda
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 01:52:37 AM »

I will contact them soon. I did not buy them from EV like this,. I bought them second hand like this. It appears to be a DH-6 magnet with a DH-7 diaphragm. Interesting. I will do a few side by sides to see if I can tell a difference. I have 4 QRX 212's with 2 a side so I think it won't be noticeable if it's 2 a side with ONE box like this. I will report back after I hear from EV and after My first show with them this friday

Its more likely that the drivers were switched by the previous owner that by EV. There is however a great deal on a used DH7 on ebay right now for 199$ this is usually the price of the diaphragm alone! You can buy this and sell the DH6 if only for the peace of mind.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Electro-Voice-EV-DH7-Compression-Driver-8-Ohm-/190736487108?ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

Conrad
www.kooleventug.com

Peter Morris

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 07:32:38 AM »

Its more likely that the drivers were switched by the previous owner that by EV. Conrad
www.kooleventug.com

Exactly ... and I think the large magnet is from a old DH1A ...

Peter

Mark Oakley

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 02:55:56 PM »

Exactly ... and I think the large magnet is from a old DH1A ...

Peter

Exactly. I was going to chime in and say it looks just like the DH-1A magnets I have in my 1122A Deltamax's and Adamson MH-225's. Which sound quite different due to the design of the horn flare.

-Mark
Oakley Audio

Jared Bartimus

• Normal, IL
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 05:07:09 PM »

I am not sure about the DH6-8/DH7-8 but the DH6-16/ND6-16/DH7-16 use the same diaphragm.  Since the ND6-8 and DH7-8 use the same diaphragm I would guess the DH6-8 does as well.  It is harder to find information on the DH6 because I believe they were not sold except as a replacement part.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 05:07:09 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 21 queries.