L Acoustics Kara
- 16 (61.5%)
ELectro Voice XLD 281
- 6 (23.1%)
EAW NTL 750
- 1 (3.8%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Help: Choice in Line Array need listener's advice  (Read 18062 times)

Nathan Thakur

Help: Choice in Line Array need listener's advice
« on: October 05, 2012, 11:05:49 AM »

A listener's Vote

COPYING MY RECENT POST AS MY FIRST POST FOR NEWCOMERS:

The reason I can't audition the sound is because there's no availability for the same. I am planning to purchase 4 to 6 boxes per side and reinforce within a year with a bigger array. I am more into concert sound and that's the only reason I am planning to buy a rig. I already use JBL DAS Audio and have EAW JFL210s but JFLs are not powerful enough to cater to larger venues.

I am looking to invest in any of the above systems for the same reason. L' Acoustics Kara is out of my budget for now as even the cabling and connectors are different for this system which makes my recent cables & accessories purchase a total waste.

I am not asking which system sounds better but which system is suitable to cater larger audience, high SPL + Coverage and with good tonal quality. I am little doubtful trusting paper sheets and want people out there who have had a listen to the system or have used it to give me their honest review.

For Eg: For me JBL highs are crappy but hey that's me for others it may be good. I don't like DAS Line Array but that's me. I used EAW JFLs and they are good sounding speakers but I am looking at something that can cater to larger audience.

I am confused majorly between Outline and Electro-Voice. Where Electro-Voice speaker specs state they are much louder I don't know how the tonal quality is. Outline on the other hand is always compared with L' Acoustics which states it has good tonal attributes and coverage. I like the fact that u can reinforce it with Butterfly or GTO later.

About my business: I am not interested in cross rental as that won't work with me. I plan to use the system and reinforce in a year with a larger system. My outlook is simple. Give them a system that sounds good and is different in the cluttered market. While other peeps are running after JBL etc I want to invest in a good sound that is different and has a good tonal tune that people can appreciate other than the engineer's work.

I confirmed this with my EAW JFL210 purchase. I started touring with these and cut 60% of the competition. People appreciated the sound and to be honest the look of it aswel lol. Now I need a bigger rig and am looking at the above for the same.

I realize that putting Kara up was a mistake as everyone is voting it. So for now please don't vote Kara and if you do use your second vote to vote ur second preference :D
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 12:44:57 AM by Nathan Thakur »

Greg_Cameron

• Cameron Pro Audio
Re: Help: Choice in Line Array need listener's advice
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 01:08:31 PM »

1. Outline Mantas
2. Electro-Voice XLD280
3. EAW NTL720
4. L Acoustics Kara

If you can afford KARA, I don't see why you wouldn't go that route. Fantastic sounding box and L'Acoustics is accepted by everyone.
"Procrastinators of the world - contemplate uniting!"

Cameron Pro Audio

Nathan Thakur

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 01:42:14 PM »

I am gonna put a poll for an answer
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 01:49:22 AM by Nathan Thakur »

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 01:49:14 PM »

I am little more interested in Outline as it saves me a good amount of money. Prices for Outline and Electro-Voice models are pretty close and this is where the confusion is. Outline has proved to be a sound comparable to L'Acoustics while Electro-Voice is a pretty old establishment. The lack of demo is making my choice pretty darn difficult.
Proved by whom?  How do you know this if you've never heard them?

Why have you decided that these are your choices?  What about Nexo?  JBL? RCF? DB Technologies?  Why are you interested in this size array, and how often do you expect to be able to do a gig with just 4/side?

If you're a real business, you'll start with an analysis as to what product will make you money - i.e. what equipment your customers are willing to accept, equipment in your area available for cross-renting, the size and format of the gigs you intend to be doing, your transportation logistics, etc.  What you want or what sounds best are usually fairly far down the list. 

If you're not a business and/or don't care about profitability, then I agree with Greg - shoot the moon and get Kara.

paul bell

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 06:11:18 PM »

I agree with TJ. Cross-rental compatibility should weigh heavily in a major cabinet purchase.

Nathan Thakur

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 11:16:47 PM »

Please Vote
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 01:48:40 AM by Nathan Thakur »

Shane Gavin

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 02:38:46 AM »

If you can afford KARA, I don't see why you wouldn't go that route. Fantastic sounding box and L'Acoustics is accepted by everyone.

The KARA's sound incredible right out of the box with the factory LA-8 presets.  And they are very versatile with a surprising amount of low end, even with a six cabinet array.  They are my current favorite medium-ish size box.

Miha Plohl

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2012, 03:47:33 AM »

What about Adamson Spektrix? It has much better low-end then Kara...

Ivan Feder

• Paris, France
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2012, 08:31:38 AM »

I am gonna put a poll for an answer
Useless poll

Yosi Melamed

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2012, 09:27:53 AM »

Proved by whom?  How do you know this if you've never heard them?

Why have you decided that these are your choices?  What about Nexo?  JBL? RCF? DB Technologies?  Why are you interested in this size array, and how often do you expect to be able to do a gig with just 4/side?

If you're a real business, you'll start with an analysis as to what product will make you money - i.e. what equipment your customers are willing to accept, equipment in your area available for cross-renting, the size and format of the gigs you intend to be doing, your transportation logistics, etc.  What you want or what sounds best are usually fairly far down the list. 

If you're not a business and/or don't care about profitability, then I agree with Greg - shoot the moon and get Kara.
+1
Don't bring up facts that can ruin our good argument.

Crown i-Tech 8000
Allen & Heath ZED60-14FX
4 X Cerwin Vega ProStax PS-12 II
1 X Cerwin Vega Sub 15
1 X Rolls RS-80 Tuner
1 X MaxxBass 101
1 X Weekend warrior

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2012, 09:27:53 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 28 queries.