L Acoustics Kara
- 16 (61.5%)
ELectro Voice XLD 281
- 6 (23.1%)
EAW NTL 750
- 1 (3.8%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Help: Choice in Line Array need listener's advice  (Read 18048 times)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Help: Choice in Line Array need listener's advice
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2012, 09:56:13 AM »

Sound qualtiy-as based on what criteria?  Loudness?  freq response? evenness of coverage?

Or is the question  "I plan on using one of these as reference monitors-which one sounds better?"

If it is the last question-I would say you are taking the wrong approach to the solution you are looking for.

I know it is not.

There are many factors that go into choosing a loudspeaker system.  Sound "quality" is but one of them-and is VERY subjective.

Some people actually prefer the "ice pick in the forehead" type of "sound"-while others are looking for a more accurate sound.  Some people prefer an "imbalance" in the sound (not a flat response)-other like a ruler flat response.

So who is to say the basis of which opinion you are getting.

Loudspeakers are simply "tools".  And for different uses you need different tools.  YOU have to figure out what tool is best for you and YOUR situations.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2012, 11:19:15 AM »

What about Adamson Spektrix? It has much better low-end then Kara...

It comes with Brock Adamson.  For some that's a liability...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2012, 11:20:58 AM »

"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2012, 11:27:14 AM »

None of the above.

If I was in the market for a professional level loudspeaker system for my business, I'd want to make my decision based on random Internet advice rather than taking the trouble to audition the gear myself.  What the hey........it's only money.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2012, 11:35:54 AM »

If I was in the market for a professional level loudspeaker system for my business, I'd want to make my decision based on random Internet advice rather than taking the trouble to audition the gear myself.  What the hey........it's only money.

You are perceptive, as that was the intent of my response.

TJ had it right, and young Nathan would do well to study and understand every word of his response:

If you're a real business, you'll start with an analysis as to what product will make you money - i.e. what equipment your customers are willing to accept, equipment in your area available for cross-renting, the size and format of the gigs you intend to be doing, your transportation logistics, etc.  What you want or what sounds best are usually fairly far down the list.

paul bell

Dave Rickard

• SR Forums
Re: Re: Help: Choice in Line Array need listener's advice
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2012, 12:15:45 PM »

Not to argue, but I wouldn't consider opinions by respected regulars on this site to be mere random advice. The collective knowledge and experience base here is immense.  I've made purchases based solely on this board.  This time, the collective has given the solid advice of business planning and personal auditioning. That's good stuff right there. I hope the OP follows it.
The wrong piece of gear at the right price, is still the wrong piece of gear.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2012, 12:18:19 PM »

A listener's Vote
Nathan,

Now that you have removed all the important information from your posts this becomes a real useless discussion.

As others have said, if this is a business you need to determine what your business goals are and the best way to meet them. Availability of cross-rental equipment is a critical factor is running a sound business. Without it you are left with only your own gear for every job. You can't expand your system for bigger shows, and you can't get extra income by renting to others who need to expand their system for bigger shows.

Unless you are looking at a minimum of 6-8 boxes per side, and know you will always be able to fly the system, I wouldn't go with any line array as my only solution. Ground stacking line arrays is something you do when you have no other choice, it is definitely sub-optimal.

Please explain what you want to do with this system, why you think a line array is a better choice than some other system, and what you would do if a client ask you to do a bigger show for them, or else this is a completely pointless exercise that will be closed.

Mac

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2012, 12:56:43 PM »

Nathan,

Now that you have removed all the important information from your posts this becomes a real useless discussion.

As others have said, if this is a business you need to determine what your business goals are and the best way to meet them. Availability of cross-rental equipment is a critical factor is running a sound business. Without it you are left with only your own gear for every job. You can't expand your system for bigger shows, and you can't get extra income by renting to others who need to expand their system for bigger shows.

Unless you are looking at a minimum of 6-8 boxes per side, and know you will always be able to fly the system, I wouldn't go with any line array as my only solution. Ground stacking line arrays is something you do when you have no other choice, it is definitely sub-optimal.

Please explain what you want to do with this system, why you think a line array is a better choice than some other system, and what you would do if a client ask you to do a bigger show for them, or else this is a completely pointless exercise that will be closed.

Mac
+1

And right now we are assuming there is an UNLIMITED budget.  I wonder when that part will start to rear it ugly head.

Something like  "OK- so we have determined that XYZ is the best system to use-But I only can afford 2 of those a side".

NOW it all starts to change-and the whole process starts all over again.

It doesn't matter how good it sounds-how cross rental it is or accepted-if he can't afford to do it right (ie the correct number of boxes), then it is NOT a solution for him.

As with anything-FIRST you have to define the REALISTIC goals-THEN and ONLY THEN-can you start to figure out what is the best approach to reach those goals.  Without well defined goals-he is only shooting in the dark-at targets that doesn't know what they are-what they look like etc.

You might get lucky.  But probably the real winners will be the equipment manufacturers-who get to sell him new and different gear-because of the "undefined" goals.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2012, 01:30:17 PM »

Not to argue, but I wouldn't consider opinions by respected regulars on this site to be mere random advice. The collective knowledge and experience base here is immense.  I've made purchases based solely on this board.  This time, the collective has given the solid advice of business planning and personal auditioning. That's good stuff right there. I hope the OP follows it.

I would tend to agree with you on this, IF the OP would give complete information and take into account more than "sounds best".  Otherwise this is little more than a random request to validate a choice from an arbitrary list.  And now what little info there was has been deleted.

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2012, 01:30:17 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 27 queries.