ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Multi Track Recording with the x32 help?  (Read 44818 times)

Mark McFarlane

Re: Multi Track Recording with the x32 help?
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 01:15:10 AM »

That would be great!

I didn't ask one of my questions the clearest, but this is what I emailed to customer support:

"Is there a way to set the gain structure of the XUF output, independent of the gain for FOH? I tried to record to Logic, but levels were very low going into Logic, while the preamp gain for FOH was clipping."

FWIW, there is no need to record high levels with a digital system. -12db or -18db peaks are fine, there is a lot of dynamic range in modern digital systems and there is no reason to run close to 0. Your 'low' level may be exactly what you want. 

Digital recording is not like an analog system where '0' is good, '0' in digital is where horrible clipping starts to happen so you want to stay far away from 0.

Like Mac said, play some reference material (sine wave and music), record it, watch the meters on the x32 and in Logic. Learn how they respond.  It's common for digital meters to be non-linear, and to use different non-linear scales between different products (x32 and DAW), and to color 'red' in different places,... all this can really throw off a quick assessment of 'its too high or too low'.
Mark McFarlane

Brian Kilpatrick

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2012, 12:52:58 AM »

FWIW, there is no need to record high levels with a digital system. -12db or -18db peaks are fine, there is a lot of dynamic range in modern digital systems and there is no reason to run close to 0. Your 'low' level may be exactly what you want. 

Digital recording is not like an analog system where '0' is good, '0' in digital is where horrible clipping starts to happen so you want to stay far away from 0.

Like Mac said, play some reference material (sine wave and music), record it, watch the meters on the x32 and in Logic. Learn how they respond.  It's common for digital meters to be non-linear, and to use different non-linear scales between different products (x32 and DAW), and to color 'red' in different places,... all this can really throw off a quick assessment of 'its too high or too low'.

That's pretty much the case, i am not used to the x32 way of metering, and yes, I'm always trying to get to unity in all my gain structuring. Thanks much on the advise!

On a side note, does anyone know if its possible to set Mac OSX system sound(i.e iTunes) to use the XUF card? It doesn't show up as an option in system settings on my Mac.

Sidenote 2: does this board automatically revert back to the state it was left in when turned off? It seemed so with some settings until I noticed all my monitor mixes were gone.

3: also, it seems my monitor mixes are distorting in the bands ears, but it was fine a couple days ago, and still is fine when I solo the bus mixes at the board and monitor them. Muting that bus did not mute the ears on one particular mix. Routing issue? I couldn't figure it out in the 5 mins I had with the board.

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2012, 03:03:55 AM »

On a side note, does anyone know if its possible to set Mac OSX system sound(i.e iTunes) to use the XUF card? It doesn't show up as an option in system settings on my Mac.

iTunes should be able to see any device that is either a USB Compliant audio device or that has a CoreAudio driver.  Behringer claims the x32 is CoreAudio compliant but I couldn't find a driver for it. I don't know if there is a way for a multi-channel interface to be CoreAudio compliant without having a driver,... They also claimed there were ASIO drivers but I didn't see that on the download tab http://www.behringer.com/EN/products/X32.aspx
Mark McFarlane

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
Multi Track Recording with the x32 help?
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2012, 12:48:39 PM »

Multi-channel interfaces can definitely be core audio compliant without a driver. Some require drivers for sure, but some don't. I've never installed a driver for my Presonus Firepods, for example.

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2012, 04:19:59 AM »

Brian, assuming you are running OSX 10.5 (Behringer's requirement for CoreAudio), sounds like you need to place a call to Behringer.
Mark McFarlane

Brian Kilpatrick

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2012, 12:01:58 AM »

Brian, assuming you are running OSX 10.5 (Behringer's requirement for CoreAudio), sounds like you need to place a call to Behringer.

I was using USB originally, but when i tried firewire, it actually showed up, without a driver. Thanks guys

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2012, 12:01:58 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 24 queries.