ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Countryman E6 versus Pyle PMEMS10 headset mics  (Read 15009 times)

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
Countryman E6 versus Pyle PMEMS10 headset mics
« on: October 02, 2012, 12:47:40 PM »

This is the result of a discussion in the LAB about cheap Chinese knock off headset mics.  The Pyle was a purchase on Ebay and was compared to one of our stock Countryman E6 headset mics.  The E6 was fitted with a 'flat' capsule ring. Please check the photo and measurements for references.  Both of the mics tested are omni capsules with TA4 style connectors to mate to Shure beltpacks.  The Pyle is over all stiffer in the mic boom, ear loop and cable.  This is probably a plus for the target market as the Countrymans are quite delicate.  The cable is permanently attached to the earloop despite a very similar looking connection.  The mic head is slightly larger than the omni E6 as well.  The Countryman cable is 15" longer than the Pyle and the Pyle was 15db higher in output than the E6 I used for test.  The E6s are available in several sensitivities while the Pyle website does not list any options in this regard.

How did they compare in sound?  I have yet to test them on show site.  The tests, both acoustic and aural were simply done in our warehouse.  Comparing the E6 to the Pyle on sound alone I would certainly not hesitate to use the Pyle on all but the most high end applications. Clarity was good, handling noise was no worse than the E6.  Stability around the ear was good but still requires surgical tape for the cable.  The mic boom is slightly longer than the E6 so for small faces the mic will protrude more.  Having only one on hand ( the supplier had only one ) I can't assess unit to unit consistency and this has been a problem with Chinese clone mics before.

The measurements were done at 3.15ft from an EAW JF100 on its back on the floor with the mics suspended over head and the capsules gathered together.  Almost by definition the extreme high frequencies show some phase problems but more than I would have expected with the difference in spacing being under 2 mm.  Any observations on the measurements are welcome

The screen shoots are in order :
- Picture of the mics side by side
- Transfer function of the E6 and Pyle only
- Transfer functions of the E6, the Pyle and a Countryman B3 lav that I used as a control
- Transfer function of the three mics in pairs measured against each other to measure the difference in response.  The onscreen legend from SpectraFoo shows which mic is which color trace.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 12:00:28 PM by Craig Leerman »

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
TF of three mics
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 12:48:33 PM »

Had to add the pictures incrementally as they exceed the size limit

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
Transfer of E6 & Pyle
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 12:49:54 PM »

E6 & Pyle

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
E6 versus Pyle versus B3 transfer curves
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 12:51:45 PM »

The three mics compared to each other in pairs. Check marks on the legend show the active traces.

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
Re: Countryman E6 versus Pyle PMEMS10 headset mics
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 10:30:07 PM »

Guess I flipped that coin wrong.  :P

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 11:40:18 PM »

$17?  Use it 'till there's trouble, then bin it.

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 03:01:01 PM »

The 'too good to be true' element surfaces.  Bought four more on Ebay to round out a 16 RF headset rental to a community group.  One of the chinese headset mics broke at the point were the stiff wire tube that forms the mic boom at the point were the boom made a greater than right angle bend to enter the cable interface at the ear. 

So the bottom line is that the mics are perfectly usable but go in the expendables column with the gaff tape.

Sean Chen

• Pristine Audio
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2013, 10:34:01 PM »

The 'too good to be true' element surfaces.  Bought four more on Ebay to round out a 16 RF headset rental to a community group.  One of the chinese headset mics broke at the point were the stiff wire tube that forms the mic boom at the point were the boom made a greater than right angle bend to enter the cable interface at the ear. 

So the bottom line is that the mics are perfectly usable but go in the expendables column with the gaff tape.

I guess at this price it's not an expensive experiment. The next closest thing I know is Shure MX153 costing 10 times as much. I am gonna get 2 and see how they hold up.
Pristine Audio
Authorized dealer for Allen & Heath, Countryman, Danley Sound Labs, Dynaudio, Electro-Voice, Gator Cases, HK Audio, K&M, Mackie, MiPro, RCF,  Yorkville
www.pristine-audio.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2013, 10:34:01 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 24 queries.