ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need Help Choosing Sub  (Read 15116 times)

Ian Murphy

Re: Need Help Choosing Sub
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2012, 01:28:56 PM »

I'm using a dbx 223XL as a crossover.  I have some limited eq and compression ability on my mixer, but that will probably be the next thing to add on.

Jay, what do you mean by pricing expectations?  I've found prices I'm willing to pay for the MRX518.  I'm just looking for equipment for small setups (25-50 people) for inexpensive gigs.  I'm not trying to compete for best sound in town, or start a career in professional sound, I just enjoy supporting local musicians while paying back some of the money I spent on the gear.  Thanks for your input, and I will consider renting.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2012, 01:41:12 PM »

I'm just looking for equipment for small setups (25-50 people) for inexpensive gigs.  I'm not trying to compete for best sound in town, or start a career in professional sound, I just enjoy supporting local musicians while paying back some of the money I spent on the gear.  Thanks for your input, and I will consider renting.

The reason you should be charging enough to cover rental is to avoid being one of these guys:

http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,140292.msg1301695.html#msg1301695

If you're going to work in an arena where folks are charging enough to stay in business and maybe even make a living, the least you can do when asking them for advice is to make sure you're not "ankle biting" and yanking the rug out from under your "sound peers".

Respect the community.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2012, 01:43:43 PM »

I'm using a dbx 223XL as a crossover.  I have some limited eq and compression ability on my mixer, but that will probably be the next thing to add on.

Jay, what do you mean by pricing expectations?  I've found prices I'm willing to pay for the MRX518.  I'm just looking for equipment for small setups (25-50 people) for inexpensive gigs.  I'm not trying to compete for best sound in town, or start a career in professional sound, I just enjoy supporting local musicians while paying back some of the money I spent on the gear.  Thanks for your input, and I will consider renting.

Hi Ian-

One of the reasons to rent - it allows you to evaluate how different products will work for you, in the places and manner you use them.  It might be that the Seismic will work for the limited use you mention, but the caveat is that it isn't likely to do much more should your needs expand, even marginally.  Finding a product that exceeds your current needs by 100% but only increases your expenditure by 50% makes for a better value, IMHO.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Ian Murphy

« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2012, 02:52:06 PM »

Dick, are you referring to people on the forum or local professional sound companies?  That first gig I did, I first referred the customers to the local production services company, but they couldn't afford it.  I ended up having them still rent out a mixer from this company for almost half the cost, because I know they are experts with high quality equipment.  In general I'm hoping to lend this out to friends who are musicians, running small events and not make a profit out of it.  I also hope to setup a small mobile system so my friend has some decent equipment for DJ gigs. I'm also not planning on piling a bunch of crappy speakers together in hopes to take business from local pro sound companies :/ 

Sorry, I'm not trying to sound disrespectful by trying to look or ask about lower budget speakers.  My intention also isn't to try to just undercut the professional companies with cheap gear. Everyone has to start somewhere right?  I see why this can be a sour subject.

And thanks Tim, that definitely is a good view on the matter.  I'm also lending out this equipment for some groups I'm part of, etc, and I would feel bad trying to charge and/or rent.  If I do end up doing more paid gigs, it gives me a chance to at least test out what I have.  This maybe not the best time to buy, but if I do, I just want to make sure its a sound investment.  From this post I think I have a much better idea of what is a sound investment, so I appreciate all of your input.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 03:09:48 PM by Ian Murphy »

Dave Rickard

• SR Forums
Re: Re: Need Help Choosing Sub
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2012, 04:28:43 PM »

With a powered unit, proper processing is included.  Good gear has protection built in, and is less likely to get accidentally blown up when loaned out to others who have no investment in your gear.

I'm not trying to sell you on something you don't want, just offering my thoughts.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 04:31:09 PM by Dave Rickard »
The wrong piece of gear at the right price, is still the wrong piece of gear.

Ian Murphy

« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2012, 04:32:13 PM »

Yes, good point Dave.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2012, 04:32:13 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 25 queries.