ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Continue buying JBL PRX 600 series/or save up for line array?  (Read 22877 times)

Kai Lydgate

Continue buying JBL PRX 600 series/or save up for line array?
« on: October 02, 2012, 12:38:44 am »

Hey all you sound guys out there, I'm 20 years old and over the last two years have been throwing parties and gigs for small events on the island. My current equipment consists of 1 JBL PRX 618 XLF, 1 JBL PRX 635, and a powered peavey mixer amp for 2 peavey monitors.

I play a lot of bass heavy music, so my ideal sound system would need have lots of headroom in the low end...ie 30-40 hz. I play mostly reggae, dub, Drum & Bass, funk, hip hop. I have heard sound systems all around the world...the one company that always stood out was Martin Audio. I have heard their line array system in whistler last year and the bass blew me away. Of course, these kinds of speakers are way out of my budget range...so I can only dream of that.

Anyways, considering that I want to build up my sound system/company over the years...is it worth it for me to save up money and buy an expensive large scale sound system all at once, or slowly keep buying more smaller speakers (ie PRX600 line) ?

What are the limits of "b-grade" powered speakers like JBL,QSC,Yorkville,EV etc? Theoretically....if I spent $5000 on 4 PRX 618 XLFs, wouldn't it make more sense to just buy a single high powered subwoofer (ie. Martin audio ASX, DB, L'acoustics etc)?

It just somehow feels that im wasting my money buying this "b-grade" speakers when I could just invest in expensive but quality speakers that will last for ages.
Then again, I don't have that kind of money to spend all at once...its hard for me to save up! Should i consider trying to build a DIY subwoofer stack?

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
Re: Continue buying JBL PRX 600 series/or save up for line array?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 04:21:29 am »

Kai,
For a 20 year old you appear to be ambitious, and very short of knowledge, apparent in your statement classifying JBL and EV as "B" grade hardware. Both companies have ankle biter level hardware, yet both companies have lines more than capable of supporting the largest acts in the largest venues.

And, although you might win the lottery, having the money for an "A" class touring rig and actually knowing what to do with it are two different things and miles apart.

I suggest you buy a pair of cabinets to match what you have, a good board to go with them, and attempt to find some gigs that are not in a basement. Eventually you'll get off of your island and have a chance to see what other people at you level are working with.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

James A. Griffin

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 07:23:48 pm »

I suggest you buy a pair of cabinets to match what you have, a good board to go with them, and attempt to find some gigs that are not in a basement. Eventually you'll get off of your island and have a chance to see what other people at you level are working with.

+1

Buy a rig that you can actually afford and learn to make it pay for itself.
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

Nathan Salt

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 07:26:02 pm »

yeah you'll make a better ROI on some small powered speakers compared to a big line array
Nathan Salt

Kai Lydgate

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 09:41:52 pm »

Bob,
Thanks for the quick reply, just to be more specific about what I meant with "B-rig" powered speakers...Lets take the PRX 600 series for example, I called this series B-grade in contrast to other powered speakers in the JBL point source line (VP Series)...so VP is "A-grade" in that sense I suppose?
So... theoretically, how would a stack of 4 PRX 618-XLFs compare to a single (Dual 18) high powered array type subwoofer that puts out 2500-3000 watt continuous. 4 XLF subs is $5200...so I figure for that money I could buy a single high end sub that puts out the same if not better/deeper sound? You see what i'm getting at?

You are right about me...i'm no expert! I guess i'm drawn into all this live sound stuff because I am often dissatisfied with sound systems very picky about stuff like that. So for me, its feels like i'm on a mission to provide people with beautiful sound. I wish I knew more about acoustics and the technical side of sound...but i'm learning !

Kai,
For a 20 year old you appear to be ambitious, and very short of knowledge, apparent in your statement classifying JBL and EV as "B" grade hardware. Both companies have ankle biter level hardware, yet both companies have lines more than capable of supporting the largest acts in the largest venues.

And, although you might win the lottery, having the money for an "A" class touring rig and actually knowing what to do with it are two different things and miles apart.

Robert Weston

• Power is cheap, reputation is not.
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 10:23:37 pm »

Bob,
Thanks for the quick reply, just to be more specific about what I meant with "B-rig" powered speakers...Lets take the PRX 600 series for example, I called this series B-grade in contrast to other powered speakers in the JBL point source line (VP Series)...so VP is "A-grade" in that sense I suppose?
So... theoretically, how would a stack of 4 PRX 618-XLFs compare to a single (Dual 18) high powered array type subwoofer that puts out 2500-3000 watt continuous. 4 XLF subs is $5200...so I figure for that money I could buy a single high end sub that puts out the same if not better/deeper sound? You see what i'm getting at?

You are right about me...i'm no expert! I guess i'm drawn into all this live sound stuff because I am often dissatisfied with sound systems very picky about stuff like that. So for me, its feels like i'm on a mission to provide people with beautiful sound. I wish I knew more about acoustics and the technical side of sound...but i'm learning !

Kai - your getting focused too much on products and prices without understanding what you are needing to accomplish.  Stacking speakers presents physics issues/anomalies that simply are  not present in single high powered subs (what you referenced) - you can't compare these two.

You certainly sound enthusiastic about sound (and it's good to see younger people taking an interest in this field!)   Take some time and do research (internet or otherwise) on basics of sounds, speaker design, and anything else you find interesting in the audio field.  After a while, you will be able to better analyze your own questions and know how to better present your questions to the group.

Try searching this forum using keywords; there's a ton of information on here from some very knowledgeable people.

Good luck. 

eric lenasbunt

• Bunt Backline Event Services, LLC
Continue buying JBL PRX 600 series/or save up for line array?
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 10:25:41 pm »

I would take 4 XLF because you can scale them. Bigger gigs get all four, small gigs 2. This also works well if you ever end up doing 2 rooms at once.

Randall Hyde

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 11:41:05 pm »

Hey all you sound guys out there, I'm 20 years old and over the last two years have been throwing parties and gigs for small events on the island. My current equipment consists of 1 JBL PRX 618 XLF, 1 JBL PRX 635, and a powered peavey mixer amp for 2 peavey monitors.

I play a lot of bass heavy music, so my ideal sound system would need have lots of headroom in the low end...ie 30-40 hz. I play mostly reggae, dub, Drum & Bass, funk, hip hop. I have heard sound systems all around the world...the one company that always stood out was Martin Audio. I have heard their line array system in whistler last year and the bass blew me away. Of course, these kinds of speakers are way out of my budget range...so I can only dream of that.

Anyways, considering that I want to build up my sound system/company over the years...is it worth it for me to save up money and buy an expensive large scale sound system all at once, or slowly keep buying more smaller speakers (ie PRX600 line) ?

What are the limits of "b-grade" powered speakers like JBL,QSC,Yorkville,EV etc? Theoretically....if I spent $5000 on 4 PRX 618 XLFs, wouldn't it make more sense to just buy a single high powered subwoofer (ie. Martin audio ASX, DB, L'acoustics etc)?

It just somehow feels that im wasting my money buying this "b-grade" speakers when I could just invest in expensive but quality speakers that will last for ages.
Then again, I don't have that kind of money to spend all at once...its hard for me to save up! Should i consider trying to build a DIY subwoofer stack?

I think the STX line would be a better upgrade path than going straight to line arrays.
Yes, MI gear (PRX is an example of this) doesn't scale well -- You can't build a bigger/better system by adding more cabinets.

I've got 4 PRX 625 cabinets in my "B" rig ("A" rig is SRX). Because of the 90-degree coverage angle coming from those cabinets, I have to run them in a "wall of sound" arrangement (backline through one speaker on each side, vocals through the other speaker on each side). Not perfect, but far better than running the same sound through both speakers on each side.

The subs will scale reasonably well. However, you'd be better off with STX 818 cabinets and a decent-sized amp IMO.  If you want to stick with powered cabinets, oh well. Wish I could afford the VP stuff, but that's a pipe dream at this point.
cheers,
Randy Hyde

cliff truesdell

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 02:10:25 am »

The VRX918sp might be worth a look. Pretty much a powered SRX718.

Kai Lydgate

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 02:22:38 am »

Randy,
Thanks for the reply, what exactly does "MI" stand for? So lets take my PRX 635 for example...it has a 90 x 50 nominal coverage, while the STX825 has a 90˚ 50˚ nominal coverage. You say that PRX speakers don't scale well...so why is that not the case for the STX line?
 The STX series seems like the best option for me...it looks to me like unpowered version of the VP series, but if that was the case then why such a great price difference? Well considering that the amps/dsp is all built in, it might end up costing me around the same after buying amps/dsp/eq etc?

If not the STX, even the SRX seems better than PRX 600...looks/specs/scale-'ability' wise! What do you think?

I think the STX line would be a better upgrade path than going straight to line arrays.
Yes, MI gear (PRX is an example of this) doesn't scale well -- You can't build a bigger/better system by adding more cabinets.

I've got 4 PRX 625 cabinets in my "B" rig ("A" rig is SRX). Because of the 90-degree coverage angle coming from those cabinets, I have to run them in a "wall of sound" arrangement (backline through one speaker on each side, vocals through the other speaker on each side). Not perfect, but far better than running the same sound through both speakers on each side.

The subs will scale reasonably well. However, you'd be better off with STX 818 cabinets and a decent-sized amp IMO.  If you want to stick with powered cabinets, oh well. Wish I could afford the VP stuff, but that's a pipe dream at this point.
cheers,
Randy Hyde

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 02:22:38 am »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 23 queries.