ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: danley th115 and th118 used togrther  (Read 9915 times)

Kim Clark

danley th115 and th118 used togrther
« on: October 01, 2012, 09:31:25 PM »

anybody out there using th115 and th118 together ? any advantages in combing the two ?
Thanks  Kim

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: danley th115 and th118 used togrther
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 09:48:28 PM »

anybody out there using th115 and th118 together ? any advantages in combing the two ?
Thanks  Kim
There is no real advantage to using them both.

But on the other hand-(unlike many subs) there is no disadvantage.

They have (for all practical purposes) have the exact same phase response-so they "play well" together.  Same physical size and the interlocking skids keep them from sliding around.

A possible disadvantage would be if they were both getting the same signal.  The TH115 would "run out of gas" while the TH118 is just getting going.  So different amp sizes would be ideal-which would mean that if set up properly-the TH118 would be louder-for a couple of reasons.

First the TH118 has a higher sensitivity and with more power going to it-it would be close to 6dB louder.

I would suggest using the same HP and LP filters-so the phase response would stay the same going to both cabinets.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Eric D Hite

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 08:49:40 PM »

Thanks  Kim

Well my comment would be it will probly work fine, but I would adjust them so they produce the same spl..If one box is louder than the other the the difference in pressure can "steer" the sound wave.  Now this might be something you want or need, and then it might make things worse depending on your setup.  Although I have never used those particular subs i have used some of the LABhorns.. But my personal preferance is to use the same subs all the way across, unless there is some good reason not to.
Eric D. Hite
Engineer
Pantera Productions - TX
[email protected]

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 09:26:11 PM »

Well my comment would be it will probly work fine, but I would adjust them so they produce the same spl..If one box is louder than the other the the difference in pressure can "steer" the sound wave.  Now this might be something you want or need, and then it might make things worse depending on your setup.  Although I have never used those particular subs i have used some of the LABhorns.. But my personal preferance is to use the same subs all the way across, unless there is some good reason not to.
I would not run them at the same SPL level.  If you do, the TH118 would be nowhere near its maximum output at the point the TH115 would be at its' maximum.  So in essence the TH115 would be "working harder".  And the maximum output of the whole rig would be less (limited by the TH115).

If they were run at the same "potential", then they would both be working less hard-for the same SPL from the rig-as if they were run at the same SPL.

Unless you are running a large number of them in some unconventional manner, there will be very little steering.  As a general rule "steering" is done by adjusting signal delays.  Just because one cabinet is louder than another does not mean the sound is "steered"-except that it is louder in front of that cabinet.

The Tapped horn is a very different design than the Lab sub-which is a conventional bass horn-albeit it with a different approach to the drivers.  But that has nothing to do with the cabinets could be run together.

The phase response between the 2 cabinets is identical-so mixing and matching is not going to be an issue. 

Where you run into problems is using subs that have a different phase response-and the cancellations that occur because of that.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Frederik Rosenkjær

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 07:26:12 AM »

For what it's worth my own both tests and in the field experience shows that the TH-212 also is very close to the TH-118 in phase up to at least 100 Hz (single digit (degrees) difference all the way except from 70 to 80 Hz where it briefly climbs to about 30 degrees - still should sum alright.

Also in practice I've found no problem combining these two models. It just gets louder at all frequencies quite evenly.
Affiliations: Danley Sound Labs, Yamaha (MI)

DanielRobin

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 02:51:17 AM »

I almost bought a pair of TH115's myself but opted for the EV QRX218s instead.
The TH115 cost approx. $2500.00/ea., but from everything I have read on them they seem like a worth while investment. When I made my decision not to buy them it was because the QRX218 suited my needs better.
I would still like to get a pair someday!

Paul Huss

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2021, 12:19:52 AM »

They have (for all practical purposes) have the exact same phase response-so they "play well" together.  Same physical size and the interlocking skids keep them from sliding around.

would the TH115 and TH118XL “play well” together?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 10:54:22 PM by Paul Huss »

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber