ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha DXR12 vs JBL PRX612  (Read 17323 times)

Richard Stringer

Yamaha DXR12 vs JBL PRX612
« on: September 30, 2012, 04:57:57 PM »

Hi ya guys, i'm wanting to know which is the cab with the higher spl output between the two, i'll be using a pair for dj monitors but don't know which would be louder. I can't demo either cab because no shop within 150 miles of me has them and even that shop said they can't demo them on very loud which defeats the point of choosing one or the other.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 05:01:27 PM by Richard Stringer »

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Yamaha DXR12 vs JBL PRX612
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 05:08:14 PM »

Hi ya guys, i'm wanting to know which is the cab with the higher spl output between the two, i'll be using a pair for dj monitors but don't know which would be louder. I can't demo either cab because no shop within 150 miles of me has them and even that shop said they can't demo them on very loud which defeats the point of choosing one or the other.

According to published specs, the JBL is 1dB "louder"...........
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 05:58:13 PM »

According to published specs, the JBL is 1dB "louder"...........

All these years DJ's used headphones... or held a mic to the ear with it plugged in to the headphone jack. Nowadays you don't even have to back cue the record.  Why do DJ's need monitors for themselves? 

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 05:59:40 PM »

i'll be using a pair for dj monitors

The Yamaha stays cleaner when pushed so I have to vote JBL in this case ;D

Josh Billings

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 09:45:55 PM »

Spend the extra money on the DSR cabinets from Yamaha. We use them @ Focus and haven't had a DJ complain yet

Josh Billings

Richard Stringer

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 05:41:25 AM »

Spend the extra money on the DSR cabinets from Yamaha. We use them @ Focus and haven't had a DJ complain yet

Josh Billings

I can't afford the DSR cabs, the most I can afford is £600 a cab which is the DXR612 and PRX612. DJ's needs need monitors because when we're mixing, a lot of time all we can hear is bass behind the decks and at best, we can hear a muffled sound, so dj monitors are essential. And published specs don't mean much really, not in the real world.

Matteus Köza

• SWEDEN - Västerås
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 06:52:07 AM »

Im totaly with you on this, Im woundiring this too hahaha. why the heck does a dj need monitors. whats wrong with a good headphone like bose quietcomfort 15 or something like that.

All these years DJ's used headphones... or held a mic to the ear with it plugged in to the headphone jack. Nowadays you don't even have to back cue the record.  Why do DJ's need monitors for themselves?
KORG PA2x & KORG PA3x PRO
RCF TT25a

Richard Stringer

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2012, 08:37:48 AM »

Im totaly with you on this, Im woundiring this too hahaha. why the heck does a dj need monitors. whats wrong with a good headphone like bose quietcomfort 15 or something like that.

I've answered that already. When you've a sound system in front of you its different to mixing in the position which sound engineers sit because dj's get dj's get bass boom and muddy midrange from the front of house p.a because dj's are behind it. So dj's need monitors next to them so they can put one headphone cup on their ear and the other behind their ear, in which case they usr THAT ear to listen to sound from the dj monitor.

Surely you lot are intelligent enough to know that, right? lol

Scott Harris

• Subwoofer forum
  • Worcester, MA
    • Running Sound
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, 08:44:29 AM »

Don't the DJs have a headphone mixer so they can adjust the levels or the current live music and whatever they are blending?

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2012, 09:47:05 AM »

Don't the DJs have a headphone mixer so they can adjust the levels or the current live music and whatever they are blending?

Yep.. every DJ mixer I've seen has a little knob that blends Cue with Program.

Richard Stringer

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2012, 01:46:44 PM »

Yeah but come on, that's a crap way of mixing and for anyone used to using a dj monitor, it totally messes things up because mixing using the dj mixer headphone mixer section takes some getting used to. And thanks for the help with my original question, you lot have been about as useful as a marshmallow strap on dildo.

George Friedman-Jimenez

• NYC
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2012, 02:06:02 PM »

Richard, do you use hearing protection? The scientific evidence is very convincing that being exposed to the SPLs that either of these speakers would produce in the nearfield when run anywhere close to their limits put you at very high risk for occupational hearing loss. Either of those speakers is very capable of producing 120 dBA slow continuously without breaking a sweat. Even if you run each of a stereo pair at an average of 118 dBA slow at 1m and have the speakers each 2 m from your head, you would be exposed to an average of 118 dBA during your workshift.

I don't know the noise standards in England work, but I do know very well how they work in the US. This is not really about regulatory actions against you or your employer, but rather that the regulatory standard for loud sound reflects very solid scientific information that you can use to help protect your own hearing. The US Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) has set limits for sound levels in the workplace, based on scientific evidence of risk of hearing damage. OSHA standards are usually negotiated upward from the most health protective values (allowing higher SPLs) by industry for financial reasons. OSHA says an SPL of 90 dBA slow, Time Weighted Average, is permissible for 8 hours a day. This level is not guaranteed safe for all, but it will cause hearing damage in only a very few workers.

A much better and more protective guide to safe sound levels is the set of recommendations by the National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH), which recommends a maximum TWA of 85 dBA slow for 8 hours a day. The NIOSH recommendations have been much less affected by pressure from industry to relax the limits, and correlate better with the known scientific evidence. NIOSH recommends that no worker be exposed to 94 dBA for more than 1 hour per day, 100 dBA for more than 15 minutes a day, 110 dBA for more than 1 minute 29 seconds a day or 120 dBA for more than 9 seconds a day. These recommendations assume no additional loud sound exposure that day. For example, the recommended limit of 9 seconds for 120 dBA would be even less if the person also had been exposed to 100 dBA for 5 minutes that day. So if you use your 118 dBA monitors for more than 14 seconds a day, you will be increasing your risk for long term permanent hearing loss.

Here is the NIOSH recommendation table, Table 1-1 on p. 2 of this document.
http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/98-126/pdfs/98-126.pdf

All this may sound silly to you, but I can tell you from both first hand and professional experience, as a musician with a 55 dB hearing loss due mainly to loud music, and a physician who specializes in occupational medicine, that the risk of hearing loss is very real and very high when you expose yourself to sound as loud as you are suggesting in your posts.

I recommend that you go to an ENT physician and get a thorough hearing evaluation including a baseline audiometry if you have not yet had one. As a professional DJ you should also get repeat audiometry testing every year by a qualifiied audiologist, to screen you for long term progressive hearing damage. In addition, if you experience temporary symptoms after you leave a gig, such as ringing in your ears or difficulty hearing or understanding conversation when there is background noise, you should get before- and after-gig audiometry tests to look for Temporary Threshold Shifts (TTS). TTS are warning signs that often occur before permanent hearing damage occurs, and can alert you to take steps to reduce your exposure to loud sound before the damage becomes permanent.

Brian Wilkinson

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2012, 02:12:53 PM »

Yeah but come on, that's a crap way of mixing and for anyone used to using a dj monitor, it totally messes things up because mixing using the dj mixer headphone mixer section takes some getting used to. And thanks for the help with my original question, you lot have been about as useful as a marshmallow strap on dildo.

ROTFLMAO!!!!

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
Yamaha DXR12 vs JBL PRX612
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2012, 04:37:29 PM »

I don't think so - the answer is that it doesn't matter which one is louder because you'll hurt yourself either way.

Matteus Köza

• SWEDEN - Västerås
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2012, 05:06:38 PM »

Richard, try to get used to the headphones it will be better and cheaper. And like I said try the BOSE QUIETCOMFORT 15, they will issolate the outside sound and give a crystal clear sound to be perfect to mix with.

I have a DJ friend and he is really good. And he dosent use any monitors ;)

Anyway a answer direct to your question, the Yamaha have good HF for clearity, and would fit good for you ;)

ROTFLMAO!!!!

ROTFLMAO = ?
KORG PA2x & KORG PA3x PRO
RCF TT25a

Richard Stringer

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2012, 06:08:16 PM »

Sorry I could of put it a better way and said the information was about as useful as sulphuric acid thrush cream. But anyway.......george, no I don't think what you said is silly at all. I decided i'm gonna go for the Yamaha but i'm gonna get the DXR12 though because I should think it might have better midrange than the 15" cab.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 06:12:05 PM by Richard Stringer »

Brian Wilkinson

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2012, 10:07:33 AM »

Richard, try to get used to the headphones it will be better and cheaper. And like I said try the BOSE QUIETCOMFORT 15, they will issolate the outside sound and give a crystal clear sound to be perfect to mix with.

I have a DJ friend and he is really good. And he dosent use any monitors ;)

Anyway a answer direct to your question, the Yamaha have good HF for clearity, and would fit good for you ;)

ROTFLMAO = ?

Rolling on the floor laughing my arse off

Richard Stringer

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2012, 11:40:11 AM »

Rolling on the floor laughing my arse off

What I said was about about as funny as being put in a prison cell with a big tough gayboy. Is there much spl difference between the DXR12 and DSR12?

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Done
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2012, 11:44:23 AM »

You can take the childish behavior somewhere else. Contrary to some opinions, it is neither funny nor called for.

Mac

ProSoundWeb Community

Done
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2012, 11:44:23 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.