ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Whats the real specs on the Yorkville Ls1208 subs?  (Read 21286 times)

Conrad Muzoora

• Mbarara, Uganda. www.koolinvestments.co.ug
    • Kool Events Uganda
Whats the real specs on the Yorkville Ls1208 subs?
« on: September 30, 2012, 08:33:31 AM »

Just received my long awaited pair of brand new yorkville ls1208 subs! Not yet taken them out for a gig but have tested them in my yard. There is a sticker right on the grill that states 2000watts program, 4000watts peak but on the back socket there is written 1200watts program @8r. Question is what do i believe? Will be running these on a qsc 5050 stereo but may consider a bridged qsc 4050hd if the 2000w prog is indeed true! These will be used for live sound and DJ gigs.

Conrad
www.kooleventug.com

John Sabine

Re: Whats the real specs on the Yorkville Ls1208 subs?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 09:09:58 AM »

Normally I would say go with the sticker but today i say contact Yorkville. I did a quick calculation and in order to achieve the spl listed in the spec sheet you would indeed have to run 2000w program to each sub.

Just received my long awaited pair of brand new yorkville ls1208 subs! Not yet taken them out for a gig but have tested them in my yard. There is a sticker right on the grill that states 2000watts program, 4000watts peak but on the back socket there is written 1200watts program @8r. Question is what do i believe? Will be running these on a qsc 5050 stereo but may consider a bridged qsc 4050hd if the 2000w prog is indeed true! These will be used for live sound and DJ gigs.

Conrad
www.kooleventug.com
"I think it needs more barn"

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 10:02:26 AM »

Seems like it may be the usual issue of numbers being stated with little or no identification of how they were obtained.  What was the test procedure?  What signal was used for testing?  What were the test conditions?  Change any of those and you could get different results.  Also note that the published specs for the LS1208 state "Specifications subject to change without notice", so maybe they changed without notice.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 05:54:42 AM by Brad Weber »

Ron Behro

• Adventures Of Sound Tech Guy
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 11:44:16 PM »

Conrad
www.kooleventug.com

Hello Conrad,

Just read your question here and I decided to send an email to a contact I have at Yorkville Sound. I asked him your question about the LS1208 subwoofer and its published power ratings. As soon as I get a response, I will post it.

Ron

paul bell

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 07:26:54 AM »

It's 1,000 watts RMS, 2,000 watts program, 4,000 watts peak.

I would feed it 2,000 watts of amplifier power per cabinet.

The sticker on the back may be stating it's only 600 watts RMS. They may have had some warranty issues and this is the way to reduce the claims.

Conrad Muzoora

• Kool Events Uganda
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 07:31:59 AM »

Hello Conrad,

Just read your question here and I decided to send an email to a contact I have at Yorkville Sound. I asked him your question about the LS1208 subwoofer and its published power ratings. As soon as I get a response, I will post it.

Ron

Greatly appreciated. I really need to know if its safe to bridge a qsc rmx 4050 into the pair.

Conrad

John Sabine

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 11:15:17 AM »

I'm a Yorkville Dealer. I called Yorkville this morning and they say not to bridge that amp on those speakers. The speakers are rated at 1000w rms and since that amp is rated at 4000w eia then you would be over amping the speakers by 100% or so. They said that running the amp in stereo where each speaker would see 850 watts eia would be the better option.
"I think it needs more barn"

Conrad Muzoora

• Kool Events Uganda
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 04:35:20 PM »

I'm a Yorkville Dealer. I called Yorkville this morning and they say not to bridge that amp on those speakers. The speakers are rated at 1000w rms and since that amp is rated at 4000w eia then you would be over amping the speakers by 100% or so. They said that running the amp in stereo where each speaker would see 850 watts eia would be the better option.

I still dont understand how you can rate a speaker at 1000watts RMS and recomend 850 watts program.
C

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 05:00:06 PM »

Because the ratings are sqewed. Rate the cabinet by the driver, which is 800 watts long term (RMS if you must). Nothing else will matter, not peak, not program, etc. If the driver is rated at 800 then using the rule of thumb 2x800 watts = 1600 watts, you derive the maximum power recommended to achieve is the max output you'll ever require from the amplifier. Why? To support the 1600 watt peaks you'll encounter, not to push 1600 watts down the throat of the driver long term. Use the 4050 and run the amp in stereo mode to a pair of those cabinets. You'll have wonderful sound all day long and be very happy. Just don't clip the amp.

Here is a link to the service manual which states the p/n for the 800 watt driver.
http://www.yorkville.com/products.asp?type=29&cat=2&id=152

« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 05:03:46 PM by Bob Leonard »
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Ron Behro

• Adventures Of Sound Tech Guy
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2012, 02:13:26 AM »

Greatly appreciated. I really need to know if its safe to bridge a qsc rmx 4050 into the pair.

Conrad

Hi Conrad,

Found this cool, little online power amp selector on the QSC Audio website. Select the brand name and model of the speaker and it generates a list of the appropriate QSC power amps to match that speaker's power rating. You can choose Full Range speaker and Subwoofers.
Here is the web link to check it out:

http://www.qscaudio.com/products/amps/advanced_amp_selector.htm

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2012, 02:13:26 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 24 queries.