ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Galileo 408 vs. Lake LM44  (Read 25857 times)

Al Rettich

Galileo 408 vs. Lake LM44
« on: September 27, 2012, 05:34:32 PM »

Looking for a system EQ that is one rack space. Needs to be a minimum of three inputs in, and six outputs. I've been reading a lot about the new Lake LM44. Haven't heard much feedback though. I'm quite familiar with the Galileo 616 system and love it. Haven't seen, or found anyone to give me a price on a 408 or for that fact a LM44.

A fellow friend/ amazing sound guru Joe has a SC48 with a lake contour underneath his console. I'm trying to minimize set up time.

Open to any and all suggestions.

Jason Phair

• Marketplace
Re: Galileo 408 vs. Lake LM44
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 06:12:15 PM »

The LM44 is 4-in, 4-out.  It's cool if that's all you need, but outputs are kinda limited, especially at the price.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 06:33:13 PM »

The LM44 is 4-in, 4-out.  It's cool if that's all you need, but outputs are kinda limited, especially at the price.

The LM-44 is 4 in 4 out analog, it is 8 in 8 out via AES, and 4 in 8 out via Dante. There are only 4 Mesa Eq modules in there, so it is not an 8x8 processor, but you can matrix ins and outs through the 4 processing channels.

The Lake software really wants to be run on a tablet, it is not that friendly to a mouse or trackpad, but it is super flexible and gives you lots of control options. Galileo is more straightforward, but doesn't have any crossover capability, it is a system eq, not speaker processor (unless you have powered speakers).

A lot will depend on what you are using it with. If you are dealing with Meyer line arrays, you really need the Galileo, it is worth its weight in gold when you are setting up Mica or Milo rigs. If you have a large PA where you want control over the system as a whole, as well as individual sections the Lake rocks. If you a straight forward 4x8 crossover/eq the XTA 4 series or the XTA DP528 may be what you want.

They all operate very differently, but all are great products. I have not used the LM-44, but I have used the Mesa Quad it is based on, and I have not used the Galileo 408, but have used the 616.

Mac

Merlijn van Veen

• www.merlijnvanveen.nl
Galileo 408 vs. Lake LM44
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 06:42:30 PM »

Galileo has all-pass filters on all outputs. Lake only in contour mode.

Al Rettich

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 08:44:10 PM »

Mac,
I've used the Dolby Lake and love it. However, being that space is tight, and I'm not providing the crossover part of the PA I'm 90% looking for a EQ, delay to tune the PA. Sadly, neither product can be used with a iPad (which I've found is as tough as some of the upper end tablets).

Both systems are easy to nagivate. I love the 616's. I am a big Meyer fan.

However, I'm not able to find prices on each. I'm so use to not paying retail, and everyone that I deal with cannot get their hands on a LM44 or 408..

Hoping someone on here had some use with either. Let me know if they had any tips or tricks on them. I know with the 616 I've ran it on a Apple mini and use the iPad to remote into the computer.

Jason Raboin

• Klondike Sound
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 09:00:13 AM »

I've used the Galileo 408, controlled by a Mac laptop.  It is exactly the same as a 616, just with less I/O.  I prefer the Galileo to Lake, but that is most likely because I have far more experience on Galileo.
Jason Raboin
Partner
Klondike Sound

Dana Sampson

• Quickbeam Systems Inc.
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 07:00:32 PM »

Looking for a system EQ that is one rack space. Needs to be a minimum of three inputs in, and six outputs. I've been reading a lot about the new Lake LM44. Haven't heard much feedback though. I'm quite familiar with the Galileo 616 system and love it. Haven't seen, or found anyone to give me a price on a 408 or for that fact a LM44.

A fellow friend/ amazing sound guru Joe has a SC48 with a lake contour underneath his console. I'm trying to minimize set up time.

Perhaps a XTA DP448 would work.

Chris Johnson [UK]

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 12:03:02 AM »

I was going to suggest the xta 548. Great units and very flexible

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Riedel Communications

Karel Will

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, 06:56:40 AM »

Hi,

Have you checked out this beauty?
http://www.apex-audio.be/manufacturing/products/overview/7/10818

Karel Will

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2012, 06:57:55 AM »

Galileo has all-pass filters on all outputs.

Really? 'cause I can't find them. How can I access these?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2012, 06:57:55 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 24 queries.