ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Emergency announcement systems  (Read 13994 times)

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
Emergency announcement systems
« on: September 27, 2012, 01:06:39 PM »

Currently researching emergency announcement systems for things like fires, building evacuations, severe weather, etc...

Ultimately we would like to have a couple of panels in different parts of the building that can be activated by a switch or push button to send announcements over the main PA and the back stage and lobby areas, served by our 70 volt systems.

Have been looking at something like the TOA M9000M2 Digital Matrix Mixer with several of the XLR input/output modules and the S-20S Digital Message Repeater for uploading specific messages for different types of events.

Anybody use these? Anyone know of competing solutions?
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Hayden J. Nebus

• Richmond, VA
Re: Emergency announcement systems
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 03:35:02 PM »

Currently researching emergency announcement systems for things like fires, building evacuations, severe weather, etc...

Ultimately we would like to have a couple of panels in different parts of the building that can be activated by a switch or push button to send announcements over the main PA and the back stage and lobby areas, served by our 70 volt systems.

Have been looking at something like the TOA M9000M2 Digital Matrix Mixer with several of the XLR input/output modules and the S-20S Digital Message Repeater for uploading specific messages for different types of events.

Anybody use these? Anyone know of competing solutions?

I'd be very leery of putting buttons around the building that do anything live in the PA.

Code here requires PA interrupt in the event of building emergency, so I lose a subpanel of my sequencer when the fire panel closes a connection. Behind my main PA are some artfully painted RH iconyx  that stay live and are backfed by the emergency power circuit.

We use a Symmetrix symnet system and ARC controllers for aux systems routing and page/program. Fire panel integrated fire strobe/emergency annunciators around backstage/lobbies handle evacuation notices.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 05:07:15 PM »

In every situation I have run into (so far) the PA HAS to shut down when a fire alarm comes through.  As in physically turn OFF-not just mute.

There is a another system that does the EVAC announcements.  Although in every case (so far) the intelligibility of the EVAC system is no where near as good as the main PA. 

In Europe it is a different situation.  they have to (at least in many cases) meet a certain intelligibility score-in the US-it just has to be heard-not understood.

When that changes-there will be a lot of fire alarm guys wanting to learn about intelligibility.  Not quite as easy as simply making a loud noise.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Hayden J. Nebus

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 08:30:38 PM »

In every situation I have run into (so far) the PA HAS to shut down when a fire alarm comes through.  As in physically turn OFF-not just mute.

There is a another system that does the EVAC announcements.  Although in every case (so far) the intelligibility of the EVAC system is no where near as good as the main PA. 

In Europe it is a different situation.  they have to (at least in many cases) meet a certain intelligibility score-in the US-it just has to be heard-not understood.

When that changes-there will be a lot of fire alarm guys wanting to learn about intelligibility.  Not quite as easy as simply making a loud noise.

Is this covered by NFPA ? I'm curious about the actual verbage.

Simon Lewis

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 08:49:56 PM »

Have a look at firms such as Baldwin Boxall and Bosch Security Systems for details on how UK / Europe approaches VA/PA systems.

There is another device that may interest you. The FireCryer is an alarm sounder with up to 6 messages stored on board, that can be wired in with existing fire alarm sounders and specific messages selected by an additional panel.

Our PA/VA industry is a little upset about them because as sounders they do not have to meet speech intelligibility requirements. They can be pretty easy to install.

http://www.vimpex.co.uk/english/fire-cryer-voice-sounder.html

Simon

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Emergency announcement systems
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 09:06:03 PM »

My understanding is that new construction these days ( of  certain types ) has a requirement of intelligibility for the emergency announce system.
I went to a AES lecture on it last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 09:15:50 PM »

My understanding is that new construction these days ( of  certain types ) has a requirement of intelligibility for the emergency announce system.

What about the language barrier?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOZuLD1u_K4
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Rick Earl

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 10:25:23 PM »

Yamaha DME 24n and 64n both have built in Wave players that can be triggered various ways. and the units are fully functional for audio.   I have a set up now in a theme park which mutes the system for emergency announcements. 

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2012, 11:27:55 PM »

My understanding is that new construction these days

My building is over 35 years old.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2012, 12:48:27 PM »

Who is requiring it? How is it enforced?

I have not seen nor heard of this yet (at least in the jobs I am associated with in the US)
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2012, 12:48:27 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.