ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: wiring dual subs with each driver seperate pair  (Read 10773 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: wiring dual subs with each driver seperate pair
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 01:14:38 PM »

Wouldnt the voltage increase when wired that way?

You pick up 6dB of increase in input sensitivity when you bridge, and often that is mistaken for an increase in *TOTAL* output voltage capability.

The total voltage swing of the amp's output section can't go any further than it does in dual channel mode.  What you've gotten is a greater current reserve.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 01:36:29 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 01:33:45 PM »

You pick up 6dB of increase in input sensitivity when you bridge, and often that is mistaken for an increase in output voltage capability.

The total voltage swing of the amp's output section can't go any further than it does in dual channel mode.  What you've gotten is a greater current reserve.

Actually, that 6dB increase is due to increased voltage capability. In bridged mono mode you are using 2 AC voltages of opposite polarity for a voltage difference between them that is double (6dB) that of a single channel to ground. That double voltage continues to be double until each side individually reaches its maximum, which will still be double the maximum voltage of a single channel.

Mac

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2012, 01:35:37 PM »

Actually, that 6dB increase is due to increased voltage capability. In bridged mono mode you are using 2 AC voltages of opposite polarity for a voltage difference between them that is double (6dB) that of a single channel to ground. That double voltage continues to be double until each side individually reaches its maximum, which will still be double the maximum voltage of a single channel.

Mac

DOH!

I shouldn't post before coffee....  Original post modified...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Marc Platt

• Classic LAB
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2012, 01:37:30 PM »

Mac
At least everyone agrees....
As a child I had dreamed of becoming an engineer. Now all I want to know is, when do I get to drive the train?

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2012, 01:38:06 PM »

DOH!

I shouldn't post before coffee....  Original post modified...

Sometimes bad things happen to good people.

Mac

Marc Platt

• Classic LAB
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2012, 01:39:57 PM »

Sometimes bad things happen to good people.

Mac
Yea it does. But what pisses me off the most is when good things happen to bad people.
As a child I had dreamed of becoming an engineer. Now all I want to know is, when do I get to drive the train?

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2012, 01:42:36 PM »

Typically the "higher" the pinset number, the higher the pass band frequencies... your HF would be on pinset 4, mid (or LF in a 2 way box) on pinset 3, and subs on pinsets 1 & 2.

For example, in JBL's VerTec 4889 the 2-15" speakers are powered on separate pinsets, so LF is on 1 & 2, mids on 3, HF on 4.  There is no pass-through for subs.

And it's always a good idea to follow this practice just in case an inexperienced operator wires the PA wrong.  If your HF drivers are on +1/-1 and someone accidentally connects a full-range signal (or even worse a LF signal) to those pins, the HF drivers will be smoked.  If you accidentally send a HF signal to your subs chances are you're not going to hurt them. 

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2012, 02:07:15 AM »

Mac

The voltage will be double that of the individual channels in stereo mode until the current limit of each channel is reached.  The max swing will be less than 2x that of an individual channel if the load is sufficiently low.

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2012, 02:32:37 AM »

I am actually still running at 4ohm loads per amp ch, just instead of the parallel connection of the 2x18's taking place inside the enclosure (as orig) I wired each of the drivers in each box with seperate pair of 12ga and then they are wired to parallel at the amp rack (4ohms nom) Just doubled the effective wire dia.
  When you tested the amp brdg mono with the pair of drivers parallel, you did not hear any difference? Wow that is not what Id expect with double the power.
no difference

Dave Dermont

• Forum Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • From The Great Pocono Northeast
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2012, 08:09:58 AM »

I am still trying to get past someone doing a critical listening test saying "the loudness and bass tone control were set on max".
Dave Dermont

Warning: Dates on calendar may be closer than they appear

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2012, 08:09:58 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 22 queries.