ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 35   Go Down

Author Topic: Midas Pro Series Console Questions  (Read 255424 times)

Brian Wynn

Re: Midas Pro Series Console Questions
« Reply #260 on: August 05, 2013, 02:46:39 AM »

So it's been a few month's since I have been on a Pro series desk.  I rented a Pro2 sunday.  I wanted to do a shoot out between it and my SC48.  Setup was Ramtech split snake sending to both desk's at FOH and had my guy switch my LR+sub when ever I wanted to change desks.

First impressions: Pros:    The Pro series has a lot more low end, the Channel EQ is more sensitive, and the channel comps are really nice compared to the Avid.

Cons:  During soundcheck I found that Select does not follow Solo when your in a VCA spill but it does in regular mode or a Pop spill.   The other thing that really bothered me was that when recalling a whole channel preset it doesn't save the name or the channel color in the preset information.  I must also add that the solo and mute button's are completely worthless in the day light. I have included a few pic's to show this.   Maybe there is a fix for some of these things.  If you have the answer let me know.

You can clearly see the muted channels on the SC48 but not on the Pro2.  If you look at the screen on the Pro2 you can see the muted and or solo channels.  I guess that's the only way of knowing.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 02:48:54 AM by Brian Wynn »

Brian Wynn

« Reply #261 on: August 05, 2013, 02:51:04 AM »

Midas Techsupport

• The Midas Tech Support Team
    • Midas Website
« Reply #262 on: August 05, 2013, 05:33:06 AM »

So it's been a few month's since I have been on a Pro series desk.  I rented a Pro2 sunday.  I wanted to do a shoot out between it and my SC48.  Setup was Ramtech split snake sending to both desk's at FOH and had my guy switch my LR+sub when ever I wanted to change desks.

First impressions: Pros:    The Pro series has a lot more low end, the Channel EQ is more sensitive, and the channel comps are really nice compared to the Avid.

Cons:  During soundcheck I found that Select does not follow Solo when your in a VCA spill but it does in regular mode or a Pop spill.   The other thing that really bothered me was that when recalling a whole channel preset it doesn't save the name or the channel color in the preset information.  I must also add that the solo and mute button's are completely worthless in the day light. I have included a few pic's to show this.   Maybe there is a fix for some of these things.  If you have the answer let me know.

You can clearly see the muted channels on the SC48 but not on the Pro2.  If you look at the screen on the Pro2 you can see the muted and or solo channels.  I guess that's the only way of knowing.

Hi Brian,

The select follows solo does work in both VCA and POP group mode, but I am investigating a strange bug where with some channel groupings it gets stuck on the first press of the solo button.
As for the whole channel preset, it is deliberate decision never to copy the channel name or colour, as the preset library and copy paste functions are linked in certain ways, and it was decided that it should simply remain as the channel parameters with names/colours.

Best Regards

Rob Hughes
kind regards,
The Midas Tech Support Team

Duane Rodakowski

« Reply #263 on: August 05, 2013, 03:35:05 PM »

I must also add that the solo and mute button's are completely worthless in the day light.You can clearly see the muted channels on the SC48 but not on the Pro2. 

You didn't mention it in you post, so cautiously I'll say it here. There is an adjustment for the brightness on nearly all buttons on the surface.  It's in a sub-menu under preferences.  IMHO the buttons can get quite bright. I have mine turned way down.

Brian Wynn

« Reply #264 on: August 05, 2013, 06:30:50 PM »

You didn't mention it in you post, so cautiously I'll say it here. There is an adjustment for the brightness on nearly all buttons on the surface.  It's in a sub-menu under preferences.  IMHO the buttons can get quite bright. I have mine turned way down.

Rob thank you for your information.  Of course these features will not deter me from purchasing the desk.  I would hope that maybe in a future update that these functions could have options.  It doesn't make any sense to not save the channel name at least in the whole channel preset data.  If your making a kick drum channel preset then what else would you name it???  It just seems like an extra step to go to the naming sheet and enter the name. 
Thank you again for your quick response.

Thanks for the reply Duane.  I will check that out.

David Jameson

• SR Forums
« Reply #265 on: August 06, 2013, 07:26:55 AM »

Rob thank you for your information.  Of course these features will not deter me from purchasing the desk.  I would hope that maybe in a future update that these functions could have options.  It doesn't make any sense to not save the channel name at least in the whole channel preset data.  If your making a kick drum channel preset then what else would you name it???  It just seems like an extra step to go to the naming sheet and enter the name. 
Thank you again for your quick response.

Thanks for the reply Duane.  I will check that out.

I think this is one of those situations where you have so much flexibility, that it seems convoluted and difficult.  I understand that you would like a "one button does all" scenario, but I personally like the flexibility provided with the Midas software set up.  With the presets setup the way they are, you have the ability to mix and match.  For instance, I have two basic systems...a small system with QSC K10s and KSubs and a larger system with RCF boxes and Danley TH115s.  Obviously these are used in different situations, different processing.  With the way the Pro Series is set up with individual presets, I can recall channel names, different VCA groups, different Effects and Processor presets and mix and match as needed or wanted.  So between saving a scene with everything "pre-setup" to recalling individual EQs, Compression, Effects settings....I'm up and running with a basic set pretty quick.

Comparing the Avid system to the Pro Series, my one thing I would request from Midas (and has been mentioned many times by others) is the ability to insert a new channel in between existing channels or dragging and dropping to rearrange channel layout.   The POP groups do give you a good work around,  but sometimes you just want to see everything laid out conventionally.

As far as seeing the Mute and Solo buttons....I have done several outside events in the hot, bright South Carolina sun with no issues.  I find myself turning down the brightness of the console in general.  I will admit that the Solo "yellow" is a little more difficult to see than the Mute "red"....but I have no trouble seeing what is selected.  I would double check the settings for the buttons.

Good luck.
Jameson Productions
Anderson, SC 29625
jameson_prod at bellsouth.net

Brian Wynn

« Reply #266 on: August 06, 2013, 09:39:43 PM »

I think this is one of those situations where you have so much flexibility, that it seems convoluted and difficult.  I understand that you would like a "one button does all" scenario, but I personally like the flexibility provided with the Midas software set up.  With the presets setup the way they are, you have the ability to mix and match.  For instance, I have two basic systems...a small system with QSC K10s and KSubs and a larger system with RCF boxes and Danley TH115s.  Obviously these are used in different situations, different processing.  With the way the Pro Series is set up with individual presets, I can recall channel names, different VCA groups, different Effects and Processor presets and mix and match as needed or wanted.  So between saving a scene with everything "pre-setup" to recalling individual EQs, Compression, Effects settings....I'm up and running with a basic set pretty quick.

Comparing the Avid system to the Pro Series, my one thing I would request from Midas (and has been mentioned many times by others) is the ability to insert a new channel in between existing channels or dragging and dropping to rearrange channel layout.   The POP groups do give you a good work around,  but sometimes you just want to see everything laid out conventionally.

As far as seeing the Mute and Solo buttons....I have done several outside events in the hot, bright South Carolina sun with no issues.  I find myself turning down the brightness of the console in general.  I will admit that the Solo "yellow" is a little more difficult to see than the Mute "red"....but I have no trouble seeing what is selected.  I would double check the settings for the buttons.

Good luck.

I still think that saving the channel name should be included.  Isn't that point of creating a preset in the first place?  I'll check the brightness.

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
« Reply #267 on: August 06, 2013, 10:19:13 PM »

I still think that saving the channel name should be included.  Isn't that point of creating a preset in the first place?  I'll check the brightness.

Can't speak for others, but that's not what I use presets for.

I do however like it when, if the board supports a "copy and paste" feature, that the channel name is copied. The board I use lets you copy nearly all parameters except the channel name.
There are three things I hate: Harsh highs, hollow mids, and woofy bass.

Justin Myers

« Reply #268 on: August 10, 2013, 03:51:11 AM »

There we go.

Just updated my Midas Pro 1. Even made in the USA.

Scott B Nelson

• Church and H.O.W. Forums
  • Saint Louis area
« Reply #269 on: August 10, 2013, 12:02:09 PM »

Heh.  I guess you won't use the buttons at all -- you taped down both sides -- can't flip it up to press the button.
Midas Heritage 1000, once in a while Yamaha LS9 or o1v

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #269 on: August 10, 2013, 12:02:09 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 35   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 23 queries.