ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 35   Go Down

Author Topic: Midas Pro Series Console Questions  (Read 254535 times)

Jason Kelly

• L-Acoustics
    • XTA Electronics
Re: Midas Pro Series Console Questions
« Reply #130 on: January 16, 2013, 04:15:23 AM »

Shameless crossposting this from the midas facebookpage, but I'm looking for an answer...

Wondering if anybody knows this:

In a touring production, i'm currently faced with a second drummer, replacing the first for a couple of shows. Monitor wishes for the second one are significantly different from number one.

No problem. I use one scene per show, so when drummer 1 returns, I just recall the last show with drummer 1, go into the show editor, select all input channels, select his aux and paste it to the scene du jour.

There isn't currently a way to paste only the MCA's for that mix. The MCA data is recorded within the VCA data. So propagating the MCA setting would also copy the VCA's.
One problem: We're also using MCA's. Is there a way to paste only the drummers MCA's into a new scene?
Jason Kelly
L-Acoustics

Nicholas Radina

• http://www.NicholasRadina.com
Re: Re: Re: Midas Pro Series Console Questions
« Reply #131 on: January 20, 2013, 03:28:35 PM »

Hi Jason,

Working through a new Pro1 and I decided to clear all patching, hoping to start over on trying to learn how patching is accomplished.  Of course now I can't get any headphone output. I've read I need to patch this, but I don't know how.

Also, is there a quick way to clear all POP groups?

Thanks in advance for the help!
nicholas

Jelmer de Jong

« Reply #132 on: January 21, 2013, 12:07:07 PM »

Hi Jason,

Working through a new Pro1 and I decided to clear all patching, hoping to start over on trying to learn how patching is accomplished.  Of course now I can't get any headphone output. I've read I need to patch this, but I don't know how.

Also, is there a quick way to clear all POP groups?

nicholas
Patch monitor A bus (left mon. patching screen) to monitor A output (right i/o patch screen).
To clear POP and VCA assignements open the menu > Control groups.

Nicholas Radina

• http://www.NicholasRadina.com
« Reply #133 on: January 21, 2013, 01:01:01 PM »

Thank you Jelmer!

Do you know if there is a new solution for patching a graph AND using a PEQ at the same time on an output bus? I'm assuming one can insert a graph from the FX rack as a workaround?

nicholas

Patch monitor A bus (left mon. patching screen) to monitor A output (right i/o patch screen).
To clear POP and VCA assignements open the menu > Control groups.

Jelmer de Jong

« Reply #134 on: January 22, 2013, 01:17:47 PM »

Thank you Jelmer!

Do you know if there is a new solution for patching a graph AND using a PEQ at the same time on an output bus? I'm assuming one can insert a graph from the FX rack as a workaround?

nicholas
That's not possible on the same outputbus. The 31band graphic is actually a 31 band PEQ with fixed Q and Freq. So switching between the two doesn't mean you get a different EQ, you get a different control interface. if you want both I suggest you run the L-R signal trough a matrix and give one or the other the graphic EQ.

peter dakin

« Reply #135 on: February 13, 2013, 11:33:33 AM »

So.. I've been trying to get to the bottom of automation, scope etc in-order to try and use the desk more powerfully.

I've been using the offline editor (2nd gen) to do this.

I created a starter tour session and scene, with everything patched, EQ'd, compressed, routed, FX etc to act as my "master" scene. I then altered the re-call scope so any further scenes I save, will all have the correct scope options, so I can flick on a 'song-by-song' basis, knowing my system/monitor options are scoped "out" and the only thing that will change is faders, sends, mutes and FX.
Wonderful, its all looking rosey. I save my scene, then I save my session (yup, saved twice), saved presets for every options, and yes saved that to its own show file (how many saves is that now??) and I transferred the whole lot to a stick to load onto the console.

Dam, I forgot one thing! Re-booted the offline editor, loaded my show file and it by default goes to scene 0, which is the safe 'blank' backup. I click to load my scene, however as loads of certain things are scoped, it remembers/keeps lots of the blank 0 scene info, and thus not updating the information I require. Perfect scope is working perfectly, however one small problem, I don't want a blank scene, I want Scene 1 is the master from which everything is suppose to be scoping from and has all the info.

How do I get round this? I'll have to save scene again to turn Scope items off/out which, as loads of info is missing will wipe hours of prep.

Very annoying!!!!

If I load up my show on the console, will it behave and go to scene 1, rather than loading blank scene 0? I saved the show file, whilst in scene 1.

Jason Kelly

• L-Acoustics
    • XTA Electronics
« Reply #136 on: February 13, 2013, 12:20:40 PM »

So.. I've been trying to get to the bottom of automation, scope etc in-order to try and use the desk more powerfully.

I've been using the offline editor (2nd gen) to do this.

I created a starter tour session and scene, with everything patched, EQ'd, compressed, routed, FX etc to act as my "master" scene. I then altered the re-call scope so any further scenes I save, will all have the correct scope options, so I can flick on a 'song-by-song' basis, knowing my system/monitor options are scoped "out" and the only thing that will change is faders, sends, mutes and FX.
Wonderful, its all looking rosey. I save my scene, then I save my session (yup, saved twice), saved presets for every options, and yes saved that to its own show file (how many saves is that now??) and I transferred the whole lot to a stick to load onto the console.

Dam, I forgot one thing! Re-booted the offline editor, loaded my show file and it by default goes to scene 0, which is the safe 'blank' backup. I click to load my scene, however as loads of certain things are scoped, it remembers/keeps lots of the blank 0 scene info, and thus not updating the information I require. Perfect scope is working perfectly, however one small problem, I don't want a blank scene, I want Scene 1 is the master from which everything is suppose to be scoping from and has all the info.

How do I get round this? I'll have to save scene again to turn Scope items off/out which, as loads of info is missing will wipe hours of prep.

Very annoying!!!!

If I load up my show on the console, will it behave and go to scene 1, rather than loading blank scene 0? I saved the show file, whilst in scene 1.

Hi Peter,

I think, from your post, that you are missing a key piece of information. Which is that in all Show files you must have at least one Scene with no recall scopes enabled. Most people call this their 'sound check', 'Defaults', 'Master' or 'Template' scene. It's the starting point that you use to load your basic eq's, dynamics etc etc onto the console. So why do you need to do this?

Unlike many other consoles we do not have a 'master' scene where the system state/setup is stored. This is generally the data that is used by the console when you load the show or session file into the console. I will be a little generic with this explanation to keep things simple. But with most systems the 'master' scene (whether you can access this as an operator of not doesn't really matter, on most consoles this is a 'hidden' set of data) it is used to store the basic configuration of the console (bus structure, effects package, stage boxes etc etc) for that file/session, as well as the basic channel settings. The structure is then 'fixed' for that file/session, unless you go into the configuration mode or load another show file. Midas consoles work slightly differently.

Every Scene you create in your Midas Show file is a complete picture (or snap shot!) of every piece of data on the system, not just channel settings or patching. Because we can completely reconfigure the structure of the console from one Scene to the next (including bussing structure, effects units, network settings etc etc) we can't really use a 'master' Scene in the same way. As technically every Scene contains that data.

So if you create a show file where every scene uses recall scopes then there is no way for the console to 'load' your start up data. Because each scene that uses recall scopes is telling the console not to recall data, so what ever data is on the surface stays there. Hence the need to have one scene that you use as your 'master' scene.

I fully appreciate this is very 'different' to how most other consoles work, but there are many advantages to the way we do it, which I can go into at a later date.

But I hope this clarifies things at least.

Thanks,

Jason
Jason Kelly
L-Acoustics

peter dakin

« Reply #137 on: February 13, 2013, 12:30:26 PM »

.....you must have at least one Scene with no recall scopes enabled.

Yes that was the one key bit of info I was lacking. I assumed once saved, it would always restore back to the saved status.

I'd better put kettle on and start again.

Jason Kelly

• L-Acoustics
    • XTA Electronics
« Reply #138 on: February 13, 2013, 12:34:56 PM »

Yes that was the one key bit of info I was lacking. I assumed once saved, it would always restore back to the saved status.

I'd better put kettle on and start again.

I've gone one better, check your PM's

Jason Kelly
L-Acoustics

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #139 on: February 13, 2013, 12:42:48 PM »

I've gone one better, check your PM's
So this is proprietary information, or can the rest of us get in on the fun?

Seriously, Jason, this appearance of "the club" restricting distribution of information, useful to current and prospective users of Midas consoles, is a bit off-putting.

Is this all really big secret stuff?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #139 on: February 13, 2013, 12:42:48 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 35   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 23 queries.