ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Lack of bass in recordings  (Read 24670 times)

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Lack of bass in recordings
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2012, 04:42:16 PM »

A wimpy kick can be a symptom of a speaker that has a weak low end (such as my laptop). Since myself and others are hearing a pretty full kick sound and you arn't, I kind of figured that your monitoring device is possibly suspect.

Don't think for a minute that the clip showed a "pretty full" kick sound.  If that's what you want the kick drum to sound like you could just use a drum trigger to activate a sample of a screen door slamming shut........
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2012, 05:12:25 PM »

I can post a snip of the main mix recording, but I won't be at the church until Wednesday so I won't have access to the file until then.

I agree with Dick, I don't think that recording is all that "full" sounding, way too much beater head. But like I said before that recording is pre-EQ. I have a lot more "thump" and a lot less "click" coming through the mains than that.
There are three things I hate: Harsh highs, hollow mids, and woofy bass.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2012, 05:21:55 PM »

I can post a snip of the main mix recording, but I won't be at the church until Wednesday so I won't have access to the file until then.

I agree with Dick, I don't think that recording is all that "full" sounding, way too much beater head. But like I said before that recording is pre-EQ. I have a lot more "thump" and a lot less "click" coming through the mains than that.

As long as I'm being candid about the clip sound, I'd say that among all the factors to be considered is that it's an un-tuned drum and a cheapo kick mic.  Just the rattling alone would drive me to attack things with zip ties, gaff tape, drum key, crescent wrench and such.

GIGO

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2012, 06:06:01 PM »

As long as I'm being candid about the clip sound, I'd say that among all the factors to be considered is that it's an un-tuned drum and a cheapo kick mic.  Just the rattling alone would drive me to attack things with zip ties, gaff tape, drum key, crescent wrench and such.

GIGO

I'd love to get a new kick mic.

I've recorded the kick drum in this manner before and there was no rattle. Makes me want to record it again this weekend to see if its still there.

The tuning is up to the drummers to take care of. Even if I knew how to tune a kick drum (which I don't, really) they'd rather have the drummer do it.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 06:07:51 PM by Jason Lucas »

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2012, 06:51:16 PM »

I'd love to get a new kick mic.

I've recorded the kick drum in this manner before and there was no rattle. Makes me want to record it again this weekend to see if its still there.

The tuning is up to the drummers to take care of. Even if I knew how to tune a kick drum (which I don't, really) they'd rather have the drummer do it.

The crappier the drum, the closer I put the mic on the beater and the tighter I gate it.

George Dougherty

« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2012, 10:18:14 PM »

Don't think for a minute that the clip showed a "pretty full" kick sound.  If that's what you want the kick drum to sound like you could just use a drum trigger to activate a sample of a screen door slamming shut........

Yeah, but it's got about as much bottom to it as I usually hear from just a Beta91 thrown inside the kick a few inches back from the beater.  It's very possible to get a workable kick sound from that.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2012, 09:10:59 AM »

Yeah, but it's got about as much bottom to it as I usually hear from just a Beta91 thrown inside the kick a few inches back from the beater.  It's very possible to get a workable kick sound from that.

There might be something usable in the sound after you discount the rattling and bleed from the rest of the kit.  But all the extraneous crap should be 86'ed first.  If you don't you'll just get more rattly crap when you boost the kick in the mix.

It almost sounds as if the HPF is engaged........

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2012, 01:05:13 PM »

There might be something usable in the sound after you discount the rattling and bleed from the rest of the kit.  But all the extraneous crap should be 86'ed first.  If you don't you'll just get more rattly crap when you boost the kick in the mix.

It almost sounds as if the HPF is engaged........

I do use a HPF on the kick drum, but it's not engaged in that recording.

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2012, 02:10:38 AM »

I find that when playing pre-recorded music, most systems are bass heavy in at least some part of the below 100Hz spectrum.  This is likely contributory, as well as perhaps some of the other things mentioned.

Merlijn van Veen

• www.merlijnvanveen.nl
Lack of bass in recordings
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2012, 04:36:15 AM »

Again, this has been mentioned twice before AFAIK, because most subs are set up 6 to 12 dB's louder. Effectively shifting the crossover frequency, where subs and mains are equally loud, up. IMHO this seems to be the most likely reason for the lack of lows in the 2-track. Personally  I make a great effort to setup an equal amplitude or "flat" system. Without going into the pro's and con's of such a setup. I've never found my 2-track's lacking any lows. Ask yourself, would you record and mix in a studio, where the subs are 6 to 12 dB's louder?

ProSoundWeb Community

Lack of bass in recordings
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2012, 04:36:15 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 25 queries.