ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Lack of bass in recordings  (Read 24825 times)

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
Re: Lack of bass in recordings
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2012, 05:47:04 PM »

It's a Superlux FK-2. Came from this little bundle: http://www.superlux.us/images/DRK_F5H3.pdf
There are three things I hate: Harsh highs, hollow mids, and woofy bass.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2012, 06:28:36 PM »

I tried flipping the phase switch on the kick channel, no change. Same with the bass channel. I did notice that when monitoring the kick that it sounds really thin and wimpy, no "oomph" to it at all. Probably explains why I couldn't hear it very well in the recording.

The recordings are 24bit, 48KHz wave files.

When I played the recordings back, I was listening through headphones.
Alright, well, I got a pre-EQ, pre-dynamics recording of the kick drum, what do you think?

http://k006.kiwi6.com/hotlink/sb795ge7uw/kickdrumrecording.mp3
So are you saying that clip is how it sounds coming in to the channel but it is wimpy and thin after the channel processing?  What happens if you bypass all the channel processing and then monitor it?

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2012, 06:44:40 PM »

It's a Superlux FK-2. Came from this little bundle: http://www.superlux.us/images/DRK_F5H3.pdf

Did you take the link down?  I went back to have another listen to see if I could tell where the rattle was coming from and there's no clip there now.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2012, 06:51:00 PM »

I can still hear it when I click the link. Not sure what's up. BTW I've done other recordings and that rattle wasn't there, that might have been just something going on that one day.

Won't be at the church until Wednesday so I'll have to wait until then before I can monitor the kick again.

I'm also still clueless why I can't hear the bass guitar at all in the recordings. If I record the bass guitar's individual channel it comes through clear as a bell.

Stefan Maerz

• Knoxville Tennessee
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2012, 12:29:45 AM »

This might be blatantly obvious, but is it possible you are playing back the music on lousy speakers? Perhaps lousy headphones?

"Wimpy" is a good adjective to describe the sound that your kick makes coming from my laptop speakers. For the most part, all I'm hearing through my laptop speakers is the beater click.

Through the speakers I mix with, the kick sounds pretty normal, aside from the hum that has been mentioned.

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2012, 12:40:11 AM »

It could be that I was listening through headphones in a loud room at a lower volume.

Still doesn't change the fact that the kick is basically silent when I monitor the main mix.

And like I said, the signal is fairly hot. I have the gain almost as high as it can go without clipping, and I have the makeup gain on the compressor set pretty high too. Same with the main and channel faders. I can't for the life of me figure out where the issue is.

Kent Thompson

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2012, 01:12:16 AM »

Did you take the link down?  I went back to have another listen to see if I could tell where the rattle was coming from and there's no clip there now.

The rattle is coming from the bass ( causing a vibration on something on or in the bass drum (probably the microphone stand is up against the bass drum body). The rattle changes pitch with the bass. There is a loud noise that happens at around 6 & 7:19  probably a clip because the level raises at that point.
The recording sounds pretty decent to me on my monitors...
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 01:36:39 AM by Kent Thompson »

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2012, 07:33:01 AM »

I'm also still clueless why I can't hear the bass guitar at all in the recordings. If I record the bass guitar's individual channel it comes through clear as a bell.
Still doesn't change the fact that the kick is basically silent when I monitor the main mix.

And like I said, the signal is fairly hot. I have the gain almost as high as it can go without clipping, and I have the makeup gain on the compressor set pretty high too. Same with the main and channel faders. I can't for the life of me figure out where the issue is.
How are the bass and kick channels routed?  Have you tried bypassing all the related effects and processing, then maybe reinserting them one at a time to see how they are affecting the kick and bass?

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2012, 11:39:25 AM »

When you mix signals together they tend to step on each other, so texture and details that are audible when solo'd alone can easily get lost in the final mix.

Generally drum and bass are pretty dominant sounds, but maybe you have other LF-MF sources stepping on them.

A crude spectral analysis of the track and the final mix might help reveal what is going on, while I don't suggest we mix with a SA.

JR

Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Stefan Maerz

• Knoxville Tennessee
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2012, 04:36:21 PM »

It could be that I was listening through headphones in a loud room at a lower volume.

A wimpy kick can be a symptom of a speaker that has a weak low end (such as my laptop). Since myself and others are hearing a pretty full kick sound and you arn't, I kind of figured that your monitoring device is possibly suspect.

When you monitor the main mix (in our hypothetical example), you might hear the beater click, but not the low end thump (as seems to be the case when you solo it).

Personally I can say that sometimes I can loose the beater click sound in busy arrangements....thus, since you have lost the low end through the speaker and the click has been masked, you might not hear much at all.

A quick test might be just to post the main mix up.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2012, 04:36:21 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.