ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lack of bass in recordings  (Read 24852 times)

Sidney.Pilien

Re: Lack of bass in recordings
« Reply #60 on: September 29, 2012, 03:44:56 PM »

Right, I was aware of that, I just didn't know that there would be such a dramatic difference between the signal level/voltage and the perceived loudness. Now I know! :)

What you hear with your ears(perceived loudness) and what you see on the meters are totally different animals, especially on digital boards. After A/D conversion, you can't get hotter than 0 DBFS because everything is measured from 0 DB Full Scale down. There is no voltage.

So when recording, your number one priority is not what you hear with your ears but what you see on the record level meters. This especially true on multi-tracking. But in your case, you only have a stereo track so the real concern is the balance between all the channels summed to a single track which is exactly the house mix. I'm assuming what you are recording is the FOH stereo  mix.

Everything else is coming through strong except 2 channels. You can hear them but not loud enough. Crank up the bass/kick channel fader and eq up 6db or more with all amps off and check level at daw. It should come up and if it does, drop the subs amp levels. What you have is a routing/mix problem so you need to do whatever it takes, switch channels, change levels or whatever.

No on here seems to know your board so if nothing works, check with Roland or a Roland forum. Hope this helps.
Sidney Pilien  

As Schultze would say "I know nutting!"

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
« Reply #61 on: October 29, 2012, 08:41:01 PM »

By the way this weekend I adjusted the mic placement on the kick drum and I think that helped a bit. The mic was about halfway in the drum basically pointing directly at the beater. Now mic is barely inside and pointing off-center slightly. It's less of a "click" now and more of a "thunk", which is more of what I was looking for. I no longer feel like I have to cut high end out.

I haven't done a stereo recording for a while but I think it's going to be a little better, it sounded okay when I monitored the main mix through the headphones. If it's still not enough I think I know how to fix it regardless.
There are three things I hate: Harsh highs, hollow mids, and woofy bass.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #62 on: October 29, 2012, 11:29:51 PM »

I tried flipping the phase switch on the kick channel, no change. Same with the bass channel. I did notice that when monitoring the kick that it sounds really thin and wimpy, no "oomph" to it at all. Probably explains why I couldn't hear it very well in the recording.

The recordings are 24bit, 48KHz wave files.

When I played the recordings back, I was listening through headphones.

This is the clue.

Think of it this way. THe recording is a "mirror image" of how well you set up your PA. If you have your subs too hot compared to the mids and highs, there will be no bass on the recording. Or in your PFL buss for that matter.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #62 on: October 29, 2012, 11:29:51 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 24 queries.