ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: I need small powerfull side fills  (Read 11675 times)

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
Re: I need small powerfull side fills
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 01:03:30 AM »

EV ZX1
Tannoy VX8
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2013, 02:26:06 AM »

So you have 3 600W speaker up front (with sensitivity of 101 dB @ 1 meter) and you want l & R rears to complement... As has been discussed many time PA speakers are not usually the best choices for any number of reasons. 

The AC18 which has a rotatable 120 x 60 horn seems to me to be either too wide or too narrow for a corner speaker.   

Assuming a square / rectangular room a 90 degrees box would sort of give you even near-field coverage yet maximize the sweet spot while minimizing reflections from the walls.

The JF 8 is 100 degrees conical.

The CFX81 is 150 x 60 degrees

The QSC AD-s82H is 90 x 60  ---- >  I "vote" for this one  mounted in a corner at a 45 degree angle from the wall.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2013, 07:43:08 AM »

I have limited space, so that's how I arrived at my list- 11 x 16 (H) x 12  Thanks!
No I am even MORE confused.  You have a room that is 11x12 (on the floor) and you can put FIFTY people in it?

I hope they are GOOD friends.

That is assuming you are talking feet.  If you are talking Meters-then that is a different story.  But if you have a room that has a ceiling 16M- WOW.  Is it a bit "boomy?

When looking at speakers you also need to consider the coverage pattern of the speaker in relation to the seating area.  The vertical height will also greatly affect this coverage.

So NOW we need a drawing or something that gives a general idea of the space you are trying to cover-possible locations of speakers and so forth.  But as a general rule-for a larger number of people you are going to need a wider pattern.

HOWEVER you really need to look past the "simple numbers" in the spec sheet.  Since these are all small speakers-they will have small horns.  Small horns exhibit pattern flip and the actual pattern (at all but the highest freq) is likely to be VERY different than the simple numbers.  You need to get the REAL story-if you are going to talk about coverage patterns-or are trying to cover people evenly.

Also remember that the surrounds typically don't need to "keep up" with the mains.  They often have quite a bit lower capacity in output.  I don't have any specs-but a "really wild guess" would be 10dB-(somebody please correct me if I am off base on this one-I really have no idea of a target regarding max output).

So where does the DJ come into this?????????
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2013, 11:19:59 AM »

Ivan, he came clean... Home theater.

I suppose the DJ plays at intermission. ;)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2013, 08:42:50 PM »

Think of it as a private club with  A/V...  personally I'd be happy with Tannoys ... wait I HAVE Tannoys... I must be happy.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2013, 09:10:20 PM »

Maybe in part of the original post-but what about the rest of the "description of the place".

Knowing what is truthful would really help.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2013, 09:10:20 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 24 queries.