ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL VTX V25  (Read 22934 times)

Adam Robinson

JBL VTX V25
« on: September 19, 2012, 11:17:19 PM »

I've been on tour for about 3 weeks now with a bunch of VTX boxes and would like to report back on them.  At first, I thought they sounded nice, but after more and more shows they've really grown on me.  I'm thoroughly impressed at the clarity of high end these boxes have.  Because I'm powering them with I-Tech 12000s, I'm able to use the XLT preset not available when using the 3500s.  They provide a bit further frequency extension at the top of the box's range considering the 12ks have the headroom to do so. 

JBL touts that these boxes will now transport in carts rather than traditional Vertec style (on their face on dolly boards).  We are touring with a cart system and it's my opinion that the rigging really doesn't play nicely when flying this rig that way.  If JBL truly wanted this PA to fly out of carts, they should have taken the opportunity to completely redesign the rigging when they created this redesigned box.  My techs have a decent time getting the PA out of the carts until the PA starts to curve beyond a couple degrees.  Best conditions considered, I've put up many other "cart based" line arrays faster and easier than the VTX, and I've recommended we go back to dollyboards and caterpillar this PA up. 

I'm controlling my rig via the new Performance Manager software.  For gigs like this, it's truly a huge leap forward from System Architect.  The software makes putting together a rig and managing it quick and easy.  I'm able to make system-wide changes on the fly and monitor many aspects of the system quickly.  One thing I've learned though is that it requires a pretty hefty computer to run well.  The machine I brought out to run it is not up to spec and the software is quite sluggish.  It still runs just fine but can be slow to respond to mouse clicks.  Because my tour is short, I opted to not switch the computer out. 

Bottom line, VTX is a great addition to the JBL family.  It takes the recent advances they were making with Vertec to the next level.  I'd be happy to see this box on any gig.  Every show I do on the box I find something about it I like more and I think it definitely stands at the top of our industry.  (And I still wish they would have redesigned the rigging...)

Here are a few pics of my setup.  If anyone has any VTX questions, please feel free to leave a comment!

Håkon Sorum

Re: JBL VTX V25
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 04:07:24 PM »

I've been on tour for about 3 weeks now with a bunch of VTX boxes and would like to report back on them.  At first, I thought they sounded nice, but after more and more shows they've really grown on me.  I'm thoroughly impressed at the clarity of high end these boxes have.  Because I'm powering them with I-Tech 12000s, I'm able to use the XLT preset not available when using the 3500s.  They provide a bit further frequency extension at the top of the box's range considering the 12ks have the headroom to do so. 

JBL touts that these boxes will now transport in carts rather than traditional Vertec style (on their face on dolly boards).  We are touring with a cart system and it's my opinion that the rigging really doesn't play nicely when flying this rig that way.  If JBL truly wanted this PA to fly out of carts, they should have taken the opportunity to completely redesign the rigging when they created this redesigned box.  My techs have a decent time getting the PA out of the carts until the PA starts to curve beyond a couple degrees.  Best conditions considered, I've put up many other "cart based" line arrays faster and easier than the VTX, and I've recommended we go back to dollyboards and caterpillar this PA up. 

I'm controlling my rig via the new Performance Manager software.  For gigs like this, it's truly a huge leap forward from System Architect.  The software makes putting together a rig and managing it quick and easy.  I'm able to make system-wide changes on the fly and monitor many aspects of the system quickly.  One thing I've learned though is that it requires a pretty hefty computer to run well.  The machine I brought out to run it is not up to spec and the software is quite sluggish.  It still runs just fine but can be slow to respond to mouse clicks.  Because my tour is short, I opted to not switch the computer out. 

Bottom line, VTX is a great addition to the JBL family.  It takes the recent advances they were making with Vertec to the next level.  I'd be happy to see this box on any gig.  Every show I do on the box I find something about it I like more and I think it definitely stands at the top of our industry.  (And I still wish they would have redesigned the rigging...)

Here are a few pics of my setup.  If anyone has any VTX questions, please feel free to leave a comment!

Hi, how do you think this compares to K1 or Meyer LEO?

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 05:11:41 PM »

Hi, how do you think this compares to K1 or Meyer LEO?

Read the rules, fix your display name before posting again.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Adam Robinson

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 06:28:42 PM »

Read the rules, fix your display name before posting again.

Thank you for your cooperation.

And I'm happy to reply when this user has updated his information according to forum rules.

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 08:53:14 PM »

And I'm happy to reply when this user has updated his information according to forum rules.

Thank you Adam. 

Everyone else, please adopt this method.  And thank you for your cooperation.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Håkon Sorum

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 11:24:11 AM »

Hi! Sorry about that, my mistake! Now; how do you think the VTX compares to other top of the line boxes like the K1's, leo's and such?

Adam Robinson

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 12:57:31 PM »

Hi! Sorry about that, my mistake! Now; how do you think the VTX compares to other top of the line boxes like the K1's, leo's and such?

I have never been in front of the LEO, but I think you're splitting hairs when you're talking about comparing the top of the top of the market like this - they all sound good and perform well.  Between K1 and VTX, my personal preference is for the VTX.

Mike Sweel

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 04:05:14 AM »

From my experiences, you can not compere VTX with E15. E15 is much better!

Adam Robinson

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2013, 08:30:02 AM »

I have extensive experience with both boxes.  Your opinion is much appreciated, Mike, but how about you describe why you feel this way.

Mike Sweel

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 09:23:07 AM »

I have extensive experience with both boxes.  Your opinion is much appreciated, Mike, but how about you describe why you feel this way.

Ok, first of all, I must admit that I don't have extensive experience with VTX. I just came across with VTX 3 times. I think that E15 have much more low end and it is very "in the face" sound and I in truth I don't like JBL sound, but VTX is much better then Vertecs.

Adam Robinson

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 10:35:21 AM »

Ok, first of all, I must admit that I don't have extensive experience with VTX. I just came across with VTX 3 times. I think that E15 have much more low end and it is very "in the face" sound and I in truth I don't like JBL sound, but VTX is much better then Vertecs.

I've never had an issue getting either rig to sound good.  I prefer the sound of the VTX to the E15, but the rigging on the E15 is some of the best on the market right now.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2013, 11:18:06 AM »

What is an E15?

Mac

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN

Adam Robinson

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2013, 03:22:56 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 24 queries.