ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Wedge Suggestions  (Read 15324 times)

Aaron R. Lee

• Big Noise Productions LLC
Wedge Suggestions
« on: September 19, 2012, 03:59:54 PM »

Looking for your opinion(s) on the best bang for buck wedge.  I currently have some EV SX250's I'm wanting to knock down to the 'B' rig.  I've been looking at the JBL 712m I know they just came out with the 800 series but from what I've read  they are not quite as good as the 712m.  I may be wrong on this.  In either case what are your recommendations for a good wedge for a medium sized production company 'A' rig.  Oh amp to power it with too?  Thoughts?  Crest Pro 8200, Crown Xti 6002, QSC PL304

Thanks in advance......

L'Acoustics, Meyer, etc... wrong price range at the moment :)

Nathan Lehouillier

Re: Wedge Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 06:23:58 PM »

Hello Aaron,

For the money I have had good luck with the Ev X-Array XW-12. A friend of mein
has the XW-15 and they very nice. The nice thing about staying with the Ev product
is you can use your current inventory in conjuction and it doesn't look as hodge podge.

Nate
KDS&L

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 07:30:58 PM »

The place where it seems most medium sized providers fall short is in the number of channels with processing available. I like the jbl 712m and despite internet chatter I really can not believe the new series will not perform as well. I have not heard the 800s so I am not going to condemn them unheard especially since I don't know of anyone who have had them long enough to draw that conclusion.

If the choice came down to 8 of a higher dollar wedge or 12 of the jbl, I would take the flexibility of more wedges especially with dsp on itechs.
Jay Barracato

Anthony Forchielli

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 10:37:08 PM »

Personally i think the JBL 800 series is great.  Very clean and low profile looking cabnet as well. The STX800 12inch monitor is a bargain although a bit pricey when you consider you still need to amp it.  But this is a nice A system option for a regional sound company.  The VP line is just too pricey and you wont really attract clients because of it anyways  (however they are my favorite wedge out there).  Now there is the VRX monitor as well that has a seriously low profile, and supposedly great sound.  I've never heard that particular box though.

The JBL PRX 12 and 15 monitors both sound good, however you will need to put something under them as the built in angle basically aims at people's shins (which is a real shame cause it is a nice sound speaker at a great price).  But this is a nice option as it's powered and somewhat light.

The EV LIVE X series are probably your best bargain out there.  The 12inch model is light.  and i mean REALLY light.  Upon close inspection you may find it not quite as rugged or durable as the QSC or JBL offerings, but it hold's it's own.  There is a 15 inch model that i think is like $100 more?  Either way the 15 sounds that much better at louder volumes so you may want to look at that.

The QSC powered KW speakers are great.  I love them.  A wonderful horn, nice highs that arent too harsh.  I've found they dont quite have the low end that the ev's or even mackie 450's have, but they are the all around best sounding speaker in that price range. 

If i were you and you have the money, i'd get JBL STX 812's with crown or QSC amps.  You're looking for something that does about 800 watts at 8 ohms i think.  Cant remember if the STX 812's are 600 watts program... either way dont's starve your speakers.  get more than there rated for if possible. 

If you'd rather the powered route, i think it's the EV live x stuff or QSC KW. 

Marlow Wilson

• Ottawa/Montreal CAN
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 11:32:49 PM »

Looking for your opinion(s) on the best bang for buck wedge.  I currently have some EV SX250's I'm wanting to knock down to the 'B' rig.  I've been looking at the JBL 712m I know they just came out with the 800 series but from what I've read  they are not quite as good as the 712m.  I may be wrong on this.  In either case what are your recommendations for a good wedge for a medium sized production company 'A' rig.  Oh amp to power it with too?  Thoughts?  Crest Pro 8200, Crown Xti 6002, QSC PL304

Thanks in advance......

L'Acoustics, Meyer, etc... wrong price range at the moment :)

Keep an eye out in the Marketplace.  I will be posting 9 Radian Microwedges for less than you're going pay for more MI gear, new or used.  In my view going from the Sx250 to SRX/QRX/etc is too small an upgrade to be worth it.  EV live X or QSC KW would be a step sideways or backwards.

If you're within swinging range of a 'real' monitor rig why not buy the real thing.  I continue to be blown away by some of the modern coax stage monitors.   For a DJ monitor system this summer I swapped out some JBL VP series three-way enclosures for the provider's itech 12000HD power 12" coax's due the sightline issues.  The VP's - two per side as texas headphones - were shutting down on other stages, while the coax's coasted along without issue.  I was astonished at how much better they were and would continue to use them in lieu of ARCS, KF850's and other texas headphone solutions I've had success with in the past.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 12:35:17 AM »

What does shutting down on other stages mean to the rest of the world.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 08:34:05 AM »

What does shutting down on other stages mean to the rest of the world.
I take it to mean they were thermalling out (due to being overdriven by DJ mor noize and his buddies) ?
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Nick Pires

• Portland, ME
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 09:08:55 AM »

Aaron,
If you want to stay with EV. I would go XW12 or 15. They are a pretty serious wedge. Best way to power/process is with the TG amps, but DX38/46 or DC-one work also. They can take a lot of power. The Phoenix line (PX1122m) would be perfect (price/performance/versatility), but like many good products with EV...they have discontinued them.  >:(
I have nothing bad to say about the SRX712M. I've used those a lot as well. They're very versatile. You can run them bi-amped or passive, and they have two pole mount options (different angles). They need quite a bit of power to get the most out of them.
Microwedges (and Radian Apex series), sound great and are fairly well accepted, but the angle is not always ideal (points too far up a lot of times.
I'm not who I would be, if I wasn't who I am.

Marlow Wilson

• Ottawa/Montreal CAN
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 10:42:45 AM »

I take it to mean they were thermalling out (due to being overdriven by DJ mor noize and his buddies) ?

Yes.  On the same event we had 24 Vertec 4888dp's distributed in four corners for one 100x100 tent.  Many of those enclosures went into thermal protect mode and shut down as well (requiring a reset over the network which wasn't set up, so each had to be done individually - PITA).  From then on we only used passive Vertec and have had no more problems.

The comparison between the VP box and the wedge was interesting because the VP by all means a 'real' PA and a step above most SOS.  They were used over a pair of the single 18's per side so the issue wasn't a need for a HPF.  My main point is that there are wedges out there that can make good quality large-format trap boxes seem just okay.  A used Radian Microwedge might not quite be in that category but they are still available for $500 each or so.  If that's too much money then I'm not sure what else can be had that will actually outperform the Sx250 in enough of a way to justify upgrading. 

Marlow Wilson

• Ottawa/Montreal CAN
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 10:49:19 AM »

Aaron,
If you want to stay with EV. I would go XW12 or 15. They are a pretty serious wedge.

+1.  Just to be clear, I'm not saying you must buy the microwedges.  There are lots of great professional monitors out there, each with there own pros and cons.   

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 10:49:19 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 25 queries.