ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: DMX software + multi-track recording. Too much to ask from one PC?  (Read 9435 times)

Loren Aguey

• New York City
Re: DMX software + multi-track recording. Too much to ask from one PC?
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2012, 05:18:12 PM »

I have two Chamsys MagicDMX Full dongles and one Enntec unit.  I like the Chamsys because it's small, compact, and light weight.  I added a short tail with a 3 pin XLR so I don't have to use an adapter with it and I always have an option.  If you need more than one universe Chamsys makes a two universe interface: http://chamsys.co.uk/dualdmx.

I've decided to go for the Chamsys MagicDMX Full dongle to keep it all in the family so to speak. I also like how it doesn't require any additional drivers.

It's a small club and I won't need more than one universe.

I know I'm swerving my own topic but after downloading and checking out this software, I realize I have a long learning curve ahead.

My only programming experience is on a Showdesigner 1 controlling 8 Trackspots and that was several years ago. I have experience operating Light Jockey but none programming it.

I've seen a few tutorials on youtube, and I will definitely be frequenting the Chamsys forums and of course the user manual. But by any chance does any one know of a good recourse, or any other tutorials to learn this software from the very basics on up? For starters it will be about 20 led par cans and movers will probably come later.

DanGlass

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2012, 07:06:12 AM »

Good decision.  I think that you have already found the best tutorials available online.  Dont get overwhelmed with the setup process, take your time.  Once you get through the setup it will be smooh sailing from there.  I was talking to them the other day and they have just started up a Chamsys USa office based in Florida.  After LDI next month they are planning to start having training classes with the first ones potentially in NYC.  No dates have been set yet and it is more of a "stay tuned" situation.  I am based in Philadelphia so if you really get into a jam just contact me and I can try to help you out.  I will private message you my contact info.

Thomas Bishop

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2012, 03:13:51 AM »

Yep, it's a fairly steep learning curve.  That's my only complaint.  Start with the basics and realize that they just took the console and stuck it on a computer screen.  I know just enough to get by with the shows I use it for, so if they have those training courses I will definitely attempt to attend. 

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2012, 02:47:46 PM »

If your OS is high enough.  window 7 Business.  You could look at virtual machines that would reduce the conflicts. 

also by splitting a quad core into 4 individual.  You can send one to cpu, two to recording and the last one to lights.

You might also be able to have a smart usb hub asigned into the virtual and providing 4 to 7 ports to that machine.  If you virtualize the recording the same could be done there too. 

Jano Svitok

• SR Forums
  • Bratislava, Slovakia
    • zvukari.sk
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2012, 03:20:16 AM »

I'm afraid virtualization adds another layer and thus may increase latency, although I don't have tested it. AFAIK there's no support for firewire virtualization, only USB.

I'd stick with setting CPU affinity for the particular recording program, and maybe virtualize lights so that if lights crash, they don't take recording with them.

You can start with one computer, without fancy stuff like virtualization, monitor CPU/disk load and buy another if you find that one computer is not enough...

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2012, 09:22:12 AM »

I'm afraid virtualization adds another layer and thus may increase latency, although I don't have tested it. AFAIK there's no support for firewire virtualization, only USB.

I'd stick with setting CPU affinity for the particular recording program, and maybe virtualize lights so that if lights crash, they don't take recording with them.

You can start with one computer, without fancy stuff like virtualization, monitor CPU/disk load and buy another if you find that one computer is not enough...
32 tracks of audio isn't a CPU concern, and neither is lighting software.  Conflicts between the applications could potentially be an issue, and Hyper-V may very well help with this. 

One thing to note is that with newer (Windows 7/Server 2008) machines, even the "local" instance is run on the hypervisor - just like any other guests, so there's no performance advantage of keeping the recorder on the local instance.

The hardware constraint would very likely be the hard drive - the recording software needs continuous access to the disk so that buffers don't fill up and audio is dropped.  Multiple applications accessing the drive at the same time may disrupt the HDD's availability.  Add a second hard drive and use that as the recorder destination and I believe you'll have reasonable success.

Loren Aguey

• New York City
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2012, 06:42:11 PM »

32 tracks of audio isn't a CPU concern, and neither is lighting software.  Conflicts between the applications could potentially be an issue, and Hyper-V may very well help with this. 

One thing to note is that with newer (Windows 7/Server 2008) machines, even the "local" instance is run on the hypervisor - just like any other guests, so there's no performance advantage of keeping the recorder on the local instance.

The hardware constraint would very likely be the hard drive - the recording software needs continuous access to the disk so that buffers don't fill up and audio is dropped.  Multiple applications accessing the drive at the same time may disrupt the HDD's availability.  Add a second hard drive and use that as the recorder destination and I believe you'll have reasonable success.

Just an update: Although I agree a dedicated lighting PC would be better, the boss has just spent a lot of money on new lights and sound so for the time being I'm gonna have to roll with just one for both.

So far, its been fine. And TJ you're right, the CPU and ram usage with both running is almost non existant. 1.5 GB of ram (out of 12 GB available) on average, which is what the OS uses at idle anyway with nothing running. CPU never goes above 15% and usually is between 1% and 5% with both programs running.

In terms of conflicts, short of the computer not crashing I can't really tell if there is any potential issue between Reaper and MagicQ. I'm not really sure what virtualization is and how it would help me in this case, I'll have to read up on that. Regarding the hard drive, that's an interesting point. But how much of the hard drive is lighting software really using?

Hopefully I'm not speaking too soon, but so far all is well with the new setup. And I've got a basic handle on programming in MagicQ, mostly due to me being the really annoying new guy with a million questions on the Chamsys forums.

Also for anyone else starting from scratch in Magic Q with zero programming experience on a computer like me, the tutorials on onstagelighting.co.uk were immensely helpful. Much more so than the manual for grasping the basics.

Particularly this one:

http://www.onstagelighting.co.uk/training-tutorials/magicq-pc-intro/

And this one: Which even though it walks you through setting up conventional dimmers, most of it still applies to my LED setup, and significantly improved my workflow after going through it.

http://www.onstagelighting.co.uk/training-tutorials/magicq-tutorial-getting-started/
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 06:44:38 PM by Loren Aguey »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2012, 06:42:11 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 23 queries.