ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wireless control of a PM5D with a USB style router?  (Read 3372 times)

micky simm

Wireless control of a PM5D with a USB style router?
« on: November 03, 2012, 05:53:34 PM »

Has anyone done this? A laptop or tablet (running studio manager & 5D editor of course), connected to the USB server which is connected to the 5D? Would this do the trick? Or is the only way the common "tablet connected wirelessly to a laptop which is then connected to the console" method?
There seems to be conflicting info out there about the answer to this so I hope someone here knows for sure! Thanks!

The type of router I'm referring to: http://www.silexamerica.com/products/usb_device_connectivity/sx-2000wg.html
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 06:08:55 PM by micky simm »

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
Re: Wireless control of a PM5D with a USB style router?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 06:10:46 PM »

Yes. It works, takes a lot of trial and error to configure, and often times drops the connection and you have to re connect to the wifi to get it to reconnect to the console.

It's an ok option, but not great.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Wireless control of a PM5D with a USB style router?
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 06:52:31 PM »

Just give up now and get 2 computers.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 03:41:38 AM »

Just give up now and get 2 computers.

+1.  I've been playing with this technology on and off for a few years as a weekend warrior with different heardware and it has been finicky for me. Sometimes it works right away, other times not. Synchronizing Studio Manager between laptop and 01V96 frequently hangs even when realtime operation works, kind of makes me leery.

If you're at the PM5D level and don't want any pre-show or mid-show surprises with your FOH laptop control, I'd hardwire a computer at FOH and use wifi to a tablet for remote with the understanding that the remote may get flakey and require reconnections....
Mark McFarlane

Ivan Feder

• Paris, France
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 05:20:49 AM »

if you can use a cable, this works very well:
get a USB to RJ45 extender ( about $15 on ebay)
Most extenders/ converters will work up to 60 metres, 180 ft.
Saves you from running 2 computers and an awkward remote desktop app.
Has anyone done this? A laptop or tablet (running studio manager & 5D editor of course), connected to the USB server which is connected to the 5D? Would this do the trick? Or is the only way the common "tablet connected wirelessly to a laptop which is then connected to the console" method?
There seems to be conflicting info out there about the answer to this so I hope someone here knows for sure! Thanks!

The type of router I'm referring to: http://www.silexamerica.com/products/usb_device_connectivity/sx-2000wg.html
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 11:44:32 AM by Ivan Feder »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 05:20:49 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 25 queries.