ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wireless Headphones  (Read 6236 times)

Michael Bullock

Wireless Headphones
« on: September 17, 2012, 02:28:10 PM »

I'm looking to start offering 'Silent Disco' type services, where the audience uses RF wireless headphones to listen to the music. Does anyone have recommendations on equipment? I have been searching and have not found much in the way of purpose built gear for such services. I need a system that allows for 1 RF transmitter to be tuned by unlimited sets of headphones, easily swappable batteries in the headsets, vinyl ear cushion covers for easy cleaning, and high fidelity, dynamic range, bass reproduction suitable for EDM.   

Thanks,

Michael Bullock
Bullock Sound LLC
Michael Bullock
House Tech, Jefferson Theater
Charlottesville VA

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
Re: Wireless Headphones
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 11:53:48 PM »

I used to use what I think was a Williams Sound (or was it Drake?) assistive listening transmitter that could be "reallocated" to the usable FM band.   These days there are a lot of low wattage FM transmitters available on ebay.  Many lack frequency response for EDM but we solved that by connecting Butt Shaker devices to plywood on soft rubber mats and ran that from the system before the transmitter.  We always made bringing FM radios and headsets the audiences responsibility along with spare batteries.  We did keep a few dozen el cheapo sets (http://www.twhouse.com/ used to carry a lot of options) on hand to sell along with batteries of various sizes. It's pretty surreal to be jamming along and then take off the cans and hear nothing but light motors and a small knocking from the shakers.

Added: We elected not provided radios and headsets for sanitary reasons primarily.  With a lot of sweating and other stuff happening, it just didn't seem like a good use of our time to clean these items.  Not like you could just hose it out with spray like a bowling shoe.  It also gave the attendees the oportunity to provide better equipment for themselves if they chose to do so.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 06:42:34 PM by Lee Douglas »
This space for rent

Sharyn Ferrick

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 09:42:42 AM »

These days there are a lot of low wattage FM transmitters available on ebay.  Many lack frequency response for EDM but we solved that by connecting Butt Shaker devices to plywood on soft rubber mats and ran that from the system before the transmitter. 

What fm transmitters do you recommend? Can you expand on your Butt shaker setup? sounds pretty interesting
Thanks
Sharyn
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 09:45:44 AM by Sharyn Ferrick »

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 01:17:04 PM »

What fm transmitters do you recommend? Can you expand on your Butt shaker setup? sounds pretty interesting

When I did it, I used an assistive listening device that capable of broadcast ing on the standard FM radio band, so I can't recommend a specific FM transmitter.  I don't think you will need much in terms of wattage to cover a dance floor or even a facility and in fact you really don't want to cover any more than nesessary.  I highly recommend checking laws and rules concerning broadcasting on these frequencies before purchasing a transmitter.

As far as the shakers go; we tried various mats to allow the shakers to move the wood without feeling to soft and squishy to step on.  We end up with some sort of carpet pad stuff that wasn't too expensive but could be re-used a number of times and easily replaced when needed.  We only did this closest to the stage, to try and achieve the tactile feeling of low bass. Judging by the number of dancers in those areas, it worked well.  How far back you decide to go will depend on your resources and/or budget.  I should add that this was mostly done outdoors on cement.  The few times we used it indoors on floors with space below them there was considerably more sound coming from them as the floor became a sounding board, although significantly attenuated by the mats used between the floor and the plywood.
This space for rent

Sharyn Ferrick

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 06:03:14 AM »

As far as the shakers go; we tried various mats to allow the shakers to move the wood without feeling to soft and squishy to step on.  We end up with some sort of carpet pad stuff that wasn't too expensive but could be re-used a number of times and easily replaced when needed.  We only did this closest to the stage, to try and achieve the tactile feeling of low bass. Judging by the number of dancers in those areas, it worked well.  How far back you decide to go will depend on your resources and/or budget.  I should add that this was mostly done outdoors on cement.  The few times we used it indoors on floors with space below them there was considerably more sound coming from them as the floor became a sounding board, although significantly attenuated by the mats used between the floor and the plywood.

So you placed the shakers on a board that was placed on top of the mat? so the dancers were on the mat?
Indoors, did  you just place the shakers on the wooded floor? or ??

Thanks
Sharyn

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 09:17:23 PM »

Always on the mats.  The surface the shakers are on has to move to be effective but be static enough to not be a slipping hazzard.
This space for rent

Sharyn Ferrick

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 07:44:57 AM »

Always on the mats.  The surface the shakers are on has to move to be effective but be static enough to not be a slipping hazzard.

just to make sure I understand, the dancers were on the mats also? what did you use for matting?

thanks
Sharyn

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2012, 11:58:47 AM »

I'm afraid we've totally hi-jacked Michae's thread!  I'll PM you.
This space for rent

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2012, 11:58:47 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 23 queries.