ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: holy dueling X32's Batman!  (Read 15197 times)

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
holy dueling X32's Batman!
« on: September 17, 2012, 10:45:08 AM »

okay, i'm using 2 X32's to run FOH at my church and i want to use the firewire/USB interface for 'virtual soundcheck' but i need about 48 tracks at once.

so, can i plug 2 Firewire or USB streams into a computer and record that many tracks at once?  and if i can, what software and/or hardware should i be using, bearing in mind that i STRONGLY prefer computing systems with Eve's Favorite Fruit tm prominently displayed...

one other little factoid.  i don't have these mixers in hand yet.  waiting on musician's friend to catch up with orders.  just thought i'd get ahead of the game...
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Bill McKelvey

Re: holy dueling X32's Batman!
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 11:50:07 AM »

okay, i'm using 2 X32's to run FOH at my church and i want to use the firewire/USB interface for 'virtual soundcheck' but i need about 48 tracks at once.

so, can i plug 2 Firewire or USB streams into a computer and record that many tracks at once?  and if i can, what software and/or hardware should i be using, bearing in mind that i STRONGLY prefer computing systems with Eve's Favorite Fruit tm prominently displayed...

one other little factoid.  i don't have these mixers in hand yet.  waiting on musician's friend to catch up with orders.  just thought i'd get ahead of the game...

As long both X32s show up under Audio/MIDI you would create an Aggregate device. You may have to use 48 or 44.1 as I have had problems with any other settings on other devices.

George Dougherty

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 03:48:34 PM »

Not sure I'd expect it to work well. If it can, ASIO4All may bring them together but you need to make sure everything is clocked together and you'll probably want the USB or Firewire inputs on separate devices instead of sharing the same bandwidth on the same chip.

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 04:48:04 AM »

In my limited experience Core Audio Aggregate devices work in some scenarios and with some devices but not all.  This is something you'll need to find out for yourself, I doubt anyone has tried this with 2 X32.  The x32 doesn't go beyond 48K so that shouldn't be an issue. ASIO4ALL wont help you on a Mac, ASIO is a Windows driver protocal.

Software wise you have quite a few choices that support Core Audio drivers.  Garage Band will probably be the cheapest of the commercial and will do what you have stated. unless there is an artificial track count limitation (which I doubt exists in Garage Band). Some vendors limit track counts in their entry level products, something to watch out for before you buy, for example the entry level Cubase.  There is possibly some free recording software for the Mac, I'm a long time Cubase user and don't really follow the market.
Cubase, Logic, ProTools would be a step up from GarageBand, but GarageBand is surprisingly good and for a virtual sound check all you need is something to stream the tracks, you don't care about plugins and latency and sw bussing and yada yada yada.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 04:55:18 AM by Mark McFarlane »
Mark McFarlane

George Dougherty

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 04:48:36 PM »

In my limited experience Core Audio Aggregate devices work in some scenarios and with some devices but not all.  This is something you'll need to find out for yourself, I doubt anyone has tried this with 2 X32.  The x32 doesn't go beyond 48K so that shouldn't be an issue. ASIO4ALL wont help you on a Mac, ASIO is a Windows driver protocal.

Software wise you have quite a few choices that support Core Audio drivers.  Garage Band will probably be the cheapest of the commercial and will do what you have stated. unless there is an artificial track count limitation (which I doubt exists in Garage Band). Some vendors limit track counts in their entry level products, something to watch out for before you buy, for example the entry level Cubase.  There is possibly some free recording software for the Mac, I'm a long time Cubase user and don't really follow the market.
Cubase, Logic, ProTools would be a step up from GarageBand, but GarageBand is surprisingly good and for a virtual sound check all you need is something to stream the tracks, you don't care about plugins and latency and sw bussing and yada yada yada.

Reaper would work well on either Mac or Windows and can easily handle that kind of channel count.  For a $60 license there's a lot to like about it.

Loren Aguey

• New York City
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 06:18:59 PM »

Reaper would work well on either Mac or Windows and can easily handle that kind of channel count.  For a $60 license there's a lot to like about it.

Absolutely. Reaper is on par with DAW's that cost several times more, and with unlimited track count.

Ben Brunskill

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 06:27:22 PM »

Brian, why did you go for the X32’s?

I was going to PM, but I figure it might be helpful to others as well.
Basically I’m needing to buy a console quick smart after water damage has 86’ed our GL3300. I haven’t really considered the X32, but I’m wondering if I’m being small minded . . . 

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 07:35:30 PM »

Brian, why did you go for the X32’s?

I was going to PM, but I figure it might be helpful to others as well.
Basically I’m needing to buy a console quick smart after water damage has 86’ed our GL3300. I haven’t really considered the X32, but I’m wondering if I’m being small minded . . .

Well, our need to finally lose our analog desk became more urgent recently, so I needed to do something, but frankly had no money to do anything like an iLive, or Pro1 or the like.  This was a way to get into digital at a price point we could swallow.  We need about 48 channels which is why I went with 2 desks, but my other motivator was that, in a pinch, we can cram our whole service into one X32, so I've got some built in redundancy as well.  I do feel like uli is really trying to pull things together with this desk, but I've certainly had my share of Behringer failures like many others have.  This is just a little insurance policy.

If I had these already delivered, I'd make you a ridiculous deal on an ML5000, but I suspect you're gonna need something before I get my replacements in....
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Dennis Wiggins

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 11:15:40 AM »

[quote author=brian maddox
on the other little factoid.  i don't have these mixers in hand yet.  waiting on musician's friend to catch up with orders.  just thought i'd get ahead of the game...
[/quote]

GC claims to have them in stores today.

-Wigs

Martin Primus

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 03:32:10 PM »

[quote author=brian maddox
on the other little factoid.  i don't have these mixers in hand yet.  waiting on musician's friend to catch up with orders.  just thought i'd get ahead of the game...

GC claims to have them in stores today.

-Wigs

There's one set up at the GC here in Omaha.  Don't know if they have more than that, but they'd probalby box it up if somebody wanted it :)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 03:32:10 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 25 queries.