ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: question for the pro's on Comb Filtering  (Read 14449 times)

Dan Mortensen

Re: question for the pro's on Comb Filtering
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2012, 05:10:29 pm »

The fact is many don't know what to listen for, until they are shown.

It's an ear-opening experience for many.

I have found that by using noise for system alignment tasks, it is much easier to hear delay offsets than with music.

This is a good discussion of an important topic for those of us who put speakers into spaces.

Here's another veer:

When discussing comb filtering, I think it's important to differentiate between comb filtering between physically adjacent speakers, and comb filtering as a result of multiple speakers in a space.

The former is what the OP was asking about in deciding between 2 speakers per cluster vs 3 or more speakers per cluster. I agree with everyone here that overlaps in coverage between physically adjacent speakers is detrimental to coherent sound by creating comb filtering.

The latter involves a Left/Right/whatever arrangement of sources, whether made up of single speakers or clusters. For maximum clarity and coherence in a space, a single cluster which fully covers the room without inherent comb-filtering is the best for speech intelligibility.

I would argue, though, that the comb filtering coming from two properly point-sourced Left-Right arrays (meaning no comb filtering from the arrays themselves individually), even with mono signal coming from each array, gives a musicality that our brains find enjoyable, and that that musicality is not present in sound from a center cluster only.

No matter how much reverb/delay/whatever you add to a center-cluster signal, it doesn't sound "musical" in the same way that a Left-Right system does.

Is that "musicality" due to experience/expectation, or something else? I don't know, but my taste has been consistent on this for a long time.

And there are cases where "musicality" may not be the highest priority, such as a truly shitty room that is nothing but bad reflections/echoes, where a center cluster may be the best solution.

Short version: Comb filtering is not always a negative, but is always negative the closer you get to the speakers.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2012, 07:13:25 pm »

1ms is the exact time interval for 1kHz but the wavelength is approximately 1 foot at the usual speed of sound.
There I go not reading close enough.  I mistook the 1ms statement as 1 foot. 

Reading to fast-my bad :(
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2012, 07:13:25 pm »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 22 queries.