ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL STX835 - slot loaded ?  (Read 21295 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: JBL STX835 - slot loaded ?
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2012, 06:43:12 PM »

Correct and maybe the reason why we should take the time to define the differences here. I'm not sure the 835 is actually "slot "loaded per say. However, my belief is that the mid range drivers of the Vertec arrays are truly slot loaded per the industry definition. But like I said above, now I'm FUBAR.

There is a phase plug-like device that fits up to the cone (but doesn't touch it), that channels acoustic energy to the slots.  It's 3D, so there is more to this than just slotted openings on the front side.  One could argue that the slots themselves are a HPF, but I think the phase plug has as much or more to do with any physical HPF.  I've never measured the MF without VerTec v4 processing, so I can't say what the RBI does, or does not do in terms of filtration.

I'm a "ghost" spotlight operator for the next week, so I'll see if I can learn more about how the RBI® works.  I'm pretty sure JBL has a patent for it.

Edit additions:  yep, it's patented.. http://www.google.com/patents/USD450778

The abstract doesn't explain exactly what it does or how, but there are good drawings to give you an idea of the device.

FWIW, in an early JBL press release regarding VerTec, it describes the midrange exits as "slotted."  If you read that back in 2001 or 2002, I understand why you say it now.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 08:52:54 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2012, 09:07:49 PM »

I was beggining to think I was loosing it altogether. Yes, the slots in front of the MR drivers, two (2) per driver. I had thought they manipulated the LF compression, but what do I know about arrays. Not much. Thanks Tim.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2012, 10:16:45 PM »

I was beggining to think I was loosing it altogether. Yes, the slots in front of the MR drivers, two (2) per driver. I had thought they manipulated the LF compression, but what do I know about arrays. Not much. Thanks Tim.

My understanding of the RBI is that it helps the MF and HF play nice together off-axis.  JBL uses the RBI concept (but not necessarily this exact implementation) in other products, so it's not just about vertical arrays.

Relax, Bob.  This wasn't a pop quiz. ;-)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2012, 12:43:39 AM »

I understand it's no quiz but I would like to learn more, especially if it's people like you doing the teaching.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2012, 12:43:39 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 22 queries.