ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Avid Profile help.  (Read 5436 times)

Al Rettich

Avid Profile help.
« on: September 01, 2012, 05:46:56 PM »

I have a show coming up soon,(Corp. Business Theater) where I'm not going to get a lot rehearsal time. In fact, I get one rehearsal before going into an actual show. I was wondering something.

The director wants to get the show where there is a snapshot per scene. We have a eleven piece band, and fourteen folks up on stage with various RF mics.

What my idea was, was to recall safe the faders for the band. Just the faders. During my one rehearsal store to a scene. My question is if I recall safe the fader section of the console, will it still store any fader moves? This way when I turn off the recall fader safe the faders move?

If anyone else has an idea I'm all ears. This is where having a PC to load the software would be helpful!!

Thomas Lamb

Re: Avid Profile help.
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 07:33:59 PM »

I have a show coming up soon,(Corp. Business Theater) where I'm not going to get a lot rehearsal time. In fact, I get one rehearsal before going into an actual show. I was wondering something.

The director wants to get the show where there is a snapshot per scene. We have a eleven piece band, and fourteen folks up on stage with various RF mics.

What my idea was, was to recall safe the faders for the band. Just the faders. During my one rehearsal store to a scene. My question is if I recall safe the fader section of the console, will it still store any fader moves? This way when I turn off the recall fader safe the faders move?

If anyone else has an idea I'm all ears. This is where having a PC to load the software would be helpful!!

As you are recording snapshots you can choose what Ch you want to snapshot. You don't necisarrily have to safe them. You could choose certain Ch and also choose certain attributes (just aux sends, faders, mutes, vca) you can also make global changes to all snapshots or groups of snapshots (I'm not good at this) this may or may not answer your question actually it may confuse and dilute the question. If so sorry for that.
bigTlamb

"If you suck on a functional analog desk, you'll really suck on a complex digital desk...." Dick Rees

Thomas Lamb

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 07:38:04 PM »

Ok just so I can cause more problems. I read your post again what you may want to do is have 2 snapshots per scene the first with the band excluded and the second with only the fader moves on the band scoped in.
bigTlamb

"If you suck on a functional analog desk, you'll really suck on a complex digital desk...." Dick Rees

Al Rettich

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 08:09:16 PM »

I've made snapshots for mutes only. Sadly though currently I went through the script to mute what mics were not onstage. However, all the "band" faders are down. I'm not good at copying from one scene to the global to the rest of the scene. I've been searching the internet for the past two hours for the manual and haven't found a copy yet.

I'm open to any suggestions..

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 08:32:35 PM »

I've made snapshots for mutes only. Sadly though currently I went through the script to mute what mics were not onstage. However, all the "band" faders are down. I'm not good at copying from one scene to the global to the rest of the scene. I've been searching the internet for the past two hours for the manual and haven't found a copy yet.

I'm open to any suggestions..

Hi Al-

The VENUE snapshots work like Yamaha scenes - they store *everything* but have filtered recall.  That means if an attribute in not highlighted on the Snapshot page, that attribute will not change status when the snapshot is recalled.

If you "Automation Safe" a channel a snapshot recall will not alter it in any way, shape or form relative to its current status.

You can also make good use of the Preview and Propagate modes.  Preview works by showing the status of a channel in a snapshot NOT YET RECALLED.  Think "lighting desk."  Propagate allows you to make a change to a channel or group of channels and blind-write the changes to a single or multiple snapshots.  Again, if you have any exposure to lighting desks this will make instant sense to you.

The AVID webinars with Robert Scovill are priceless in getting a real-world look at this.

http://www.avid.com/elqNow/elqRedir.htm?ref=http://avid.na3.acrobat.com/p80031603/  is the Using Snapshots webcast and http://www.avid.com/elqNow/elqRedir.htm?ref=http://avid.na3.acrobat.com/p33947031/ is "Part II" that follows up on some of the material that didn't get covered the first time.

You can get all kinds of manuals and documentation here - http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/User_Guide/en358153

The DigiUserConference (DUC) for live sound is also a great resource.  http://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25  Use the Search, young Skywalker.  Between the DUC forum and the webinars you should pretty well figure it all out.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 06:08:09 PM »

I guess it really depends on what needs to change between scenes. I have done a lot of musical theater where I don’t have the time to finesse everything in all of the scenes like I would like to. And I sometimes have to jump from one part of the play in a rehersal to another so I have taken to safeing everything except the faders. One reason that I don’t want the channel on/mute to recall is if I suddenly have a problem with a wireless mic and I need to mute it I don’t suddenly want that problem mic to un mute in the next scene. Also if you have the trims recalling in each scene and someone turned up an amp and you really need it trimmed down do you want it jumping back to the previous trim on the next scene recall. I love the scene capabilities I just can get by most of the time very well if all it is recalling is the fader moves.

I have never mixed monitors from house where I have a digital console recalling scenes. But one trick is if you have enough spare channels so you can double patch and have your monitors on a separate input you can use an event per channel that when your main fader is all the way down it triggers the mute on the monitor version of that channel. Someone showed me how to do that on the DUC. I also have it so if you manually mute a channel it mutes the monitor version of that channel. The only weird thing is when you power up the console the states of these mutes sometimes have to be un-muted before you start so it follows properly. I think that has to do how you left it when you shut the console down. 

If you want the instructions for the second channel mute thing let me know and I will post it or the link to the DUC where they showed me.

Kristo Kotkas

• Eventech
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 07:51:45 PM »

If you get that one but proper rehearsal you will be fine using snapshots.

Just couple of things to check and think about. Do you need to do monitors from FOH? If so, you need to tell the desk what auxes are for MON and what are for FX. That way you can only recall this or that depending on your need.

Other thing to know is, that if you save that snapshot, you will save everything BUT the plugins! If you want to add the plugins to snapshots, you need to add them for each snapshot by hand. In stress situation this is something you can easily forget. So you either not use plugins in the way that you need to adjust them snapshot-to-snapshot or you absolutely make sure when you create a new snapshot, you rename > add plugins > overwrite.

Another, minor, but still a useful suggestion would be to set the crossfade time between snapshots from 0 to 1 sec. 0 can and will sound un-natual if you hit that next or recall button at a slightly bad moment.

When managing/creating/saving snapshots go easy, don't overwrite by accident! take your time. And use that comments box that you have available for each snapshot to describe what's happening in that scene. This can be helpful so you remember what the next scene will be all about.

To sum it up - make first scene sound good, create a snapshot, rename, add plugins, overwrite, put something in the description box. Make second scene sound good, create NEW snapshot, rename, add plugins... you get the picture.

When all is done, think about what you actually need to automate, and what not. Now select all the scenes and scope ONLY what you think you would prefer desk to do instead of your fingers. In normal situation you almost NEVER want to scope things like PATCH, PRE, NAME, MATRIX you get the picture ;) So don't scope ALL ;)

AND THE MOST IMPORTANT THING - VENUE does not automatically save (actually overwrite) the show file! This means, when all is said and done with Snapshots, you need to go into Failing and select your show and right-click-overwrite to save your Snapshots! I have seen this happen, a person has gone thru a stressful rehearsal and created all the snapshots, then just before the show he recalls the show *just to be sure* but he did not overwrite it after the rehearsals and his Snapshot page was obviously empty. When that happens, witch probably does not as now you know about this, but anyway, if it does, don't panic, as under Failing there is a History Tab. Just think of at what time you had your desk in the correct state and recall a backup from that time and you will be safe.

Good luck!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 07:51:45 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 22 queries.