ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Newb looking for advice  (Read 9398 times)

Jamie Chappa

• Arsenic Promotion and Production
Re: Newb looking for advice
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2012, 08:02:39 PM »

The best advice i can give ya is to download it. As you set it up use the virtual usb. This will allow you to program everything you want. Use the 3d visualizer to see if ya like what ya got. If ya hate the layout and find its not working for you nothing is lost but a few hours of your time. If you do like it bonus programming is done. Buy a dongle and away ya go.   

As for the comparison to a good anolog controller. I have never owned nor used one so im not sure. I have always made freestyler work for what i need, previous to that i had a simple chauvet controller.

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2012, 10:17:36 AM »

I found Freestyler to be incredibly limited for a software-based system. It is "free", but it can't compare to a decent hardware controller or a mid-level software package.

I guess it depends what you're comparing it too, it's FAR more capable than any sub $1000 HW controller but it's very clumsy to operate compared to a $1000 SW package.

duane massey

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2012, 06:11:47 PM »

Paul, a Showdesigner 1 is far more capable for real-time operation, and is available online for $749. I've worked with both, and there is no comparison.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2012, 09:14:06 AM »

The ShowDesigner1 and Magic 260 are probably the cheapest hardware controllers worth buying particularly if you have any movers, the Martin Freakie would be the next step down but doesn't have any means of loading or saving shows which is a big deal breaker for me. All of these do give you that instant access to fixtures with real sliders to handle and yes that is desirable for live use, but none of these can do layered scenes/sequences like any of the software controllers Freestyler included, and that one feature puts them at a whole other level for ease of programming and the ability to have virtually endless combinations of looks at your fingertips.. or mousetip as it were.

duane massey

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2012, 12:08:46 PM »

I wouldn't compare the Magic 260 to an SD 1. The 260 looks like it would be a cool device, but it's really not much better than an Operator. I've only had to use a Freekie twice, and was (surprise) very frustrated by it's limitations.
You can layer Chases on the SD 1 (up to 8), but you can't layer scenes. One of my personal complaints about all PC-based packages is the lack of simultaneously access different functions (color, gobo, rotation), etc. Lots of small quirks that may not be of importance to someone else. What I really like is the instant response of using the sliders for pan and tilt instead of a joystick or mouse. What really sucks about all of them is the lack of a really helpful manual, one of the worst being Light Jockey.
What really makes no sense to me is the practice of putting together a system with multple movers and par/wash fixtures, and then going cheap on the controller. Obviously not the OP, as his system is very basic and will be easy to operate. Lately I've been brough in on several system installs where the client purchased a package with 12 or so fixtures, installed them, and tried to hire me to set-up and program a DMX Operator. In both cases I told them to either buy a better controller (SD 1) or just let their DJ do it and save the expense of having me come onsite.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Othmane Alaoui

• Produkson - Sound & Lights
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2012, 06:11:06 PM »

Freestyler is pretty simple et efficient for the type of gigs you want to do. Before I moved to an M-one system, I used freestyler with the enttec dongle to control 12 moving lights ( SGM and Coemar ) with the addition of 24 colorblasts and some LED Pars. The only thing that can be an issue is reliability for large events. I still use FS for all smaller gigs ( 4-6 movings and some LED's). I also use an analog board for traditionnal lightings ( Pars, leeko's ...).

Chamsys is a real solid lighting control system, used in larger events, a lot more complicated to setup but once you get along with it, its a better solution even for small gigs ! Usually is used with a console from chamsys ...

If you want to spent a little more, 3-4K take a look at the Martin M2GO !

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2012, 06:11:06 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 25 queries.