ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Newb looking for advice  (Read 9399 times)

Dave Delfel

• Dave Delfel
Newb looking for advice
« on: August 28, 2012, 11:49:50 PM »

I have been doing sound for few years and have started collecting lighting to improve shows.
So far i have:
8 ADJ par56 LEDS
4 Intimidator Spot 2.0
1 Elation DMX Operator

I have figured out basic functions of the lights and I kinda know how I want my shows to look like. I have not done much programming yet. Because I am a 1 man show I need to rely on scenes and chases that I can recall quickly and have quick setup preshow. Do I have the right gear to get started?

duane massey

Re: Newb looking for advice
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 11:43:22 AM »

You'll need to do a bit of programming before you can really easily do a show. The Operator is a limited and clumsy beast, but it will "work", technically. You will find yourself getting very frustrated as you tackle programming on this controller. Keep your looks simple.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Dave Delfel

• Dave Delfel
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 01:06:06 PM »

You'll need to do a bit of programming before you can really easily do a show. The Operator is a limited and clumsy beast, but it will "work", technically. You will find yourself getting very frustrated as you tackle programming on this controller. Keep your looks simple.
Any reccomendations of a controller worth investing in? This setup may expand a little but it is 90% bar band stuff.

Jamie Chappa

• Arsenic Promotion and Production
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 01:38:07 PM »

Any reccomendations of a controller worth investing in? This setup may expand a little but it is 90% bar band stuff.
I use an enttec dongle and freestyler total cost 70. With that i have an old computer in my rig with a wireless keyboard each key is a scene. This setup is perfect for one man shows. I can give ya more detail if you want it. This very easy to do.

Dave Delfel

• Dave Delfel
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 03:51:05 PM »

I use an enttec dongle and freestyler total cost 70. With that i have an old computer in my rig with a wireless keyboard each key is a scene. This setup is perfect for one man shows. I can give ya more detail if you want it. This very easy to do.
I am very interested in that setup. I currently run Software Audio Console, so I have a computer on stage and a laptop FOH.
I was thinking I could have the lighting software running in the background of the laptop.

I tried to research MagicQ via this forum but found reviews to be criptic(not familiar with the light lingo) so I gave it a shot and tried it. Not for me. Specificly I need pro fixtures(and alot of them) to really use it. In addition to another computer for the visualizer. Too much for good old basic bar shows.
Which brings me to asking if the Chamsys dongle works with Freestyler or do I need to get the Enntec dongle?

Randall Hyde

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 07:18:42 PM »

I am very interested in that setup. I currently run Software Audio Console, so I have a computer on stage and a laptop FOH.
I was thinking I could have the lighting software running in the background of the laptop.

I tried to research MagicQ via this forum but found reviews to be criptic(not familiar with the light lingo) so I gave it a shot and tried it. Not for me. Specificly I need pro fixtures(and alot of them) to really use it. In addition to another computer for the visualizer. Too much for good old basic bar shows.
Which brings me to asking if the Chamsys dongle works with Freestyler or do I need to get the Enntec dongle?

I'm using MagicQ and I'd recommend against it. It makes SAC's user interface look absolutely great.

For a one-man show, I'd suggest taking a look at ENTTEC's offering. I forget the name, but it's intended for operation by a solo performer and does a good job (at least AFAICT) of automating chases during a show.

Also, take a serious look at Blizzard Lighting (their fixtures, not necessarily FreeStyler which is probably a bit complex for you). The Rocklite RGBAW and Puck fixtures are absolutely great. They blow anything by ADJ out of the water. The ADJ PAR56 cans are going to be rather dim, sadly; cheap, but worth every penny....
cheers,
Randy Hyde

Jamie Chappa

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 12:58:23 AM »

Freestyler for a first time user i found very easy to program and they have very good tutorials. Its free and very functional for your situation. Its only limit i have found is only 30 keys can be made to scenes. It works well with movers also. If you go on there site it tells you all the usb dongles that work. There forum is full of new fixtures also.

duane massey

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 11:17:18 AM »

I found Freestyler to be incredibly limited for a software-based system. It is "free", but it can't compare to a decent hardware controller or a mid-level software package.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Jamie Chappa

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 02:10:49 PM »

I found Freestyler to be incredibly limited for a software-based system. It is "free", but it can't compare to a decent hardware controller or a mid-level software package.
yes but the op is looking for simplicity he only wanted scenes and chases

Dave Delfel

• Dave Delfel
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012, 06:13:51 PM »

yes but the op is looking for simplicity he only wanted scenes and chases
I'll admit I don't know much about programming and patching. I have some concepts in my head and not sure the easiest ways to implement them. And free or cheap is always nice. I'm not afraid to put in the time to set things up but I like the idea of tweaking certain elements from show to show. I.E. striking spots for center , L &R stage. Im not sure what would work for this type of setup. So far chamsys is out and the basic controller is out. I can't see buying a $1,000-$2,000 controller for bar gigs.

Pros/cons of free styler vs. a decent analog controller? I may be able to cross rent a controller but I don't know what is in demand in my area.

Again I apologize for being a newb, all of your advice is appreciated.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012, 06:13:51 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 25 queries.