ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: speaker on a stick setup at vmworld  (Read 4517 times)

Jason Vanick

speaker on a stick setup at vmworld
« on: August 30, 2012, 10:28:27 PM »

My day job is related to tech and I just got back from a conference in san francisco ...

In the breakout rooms they were using wireless lav miss plugged into yamaha digital boards ...

From there, they were connected to a variety of analog boards before connecting to the speakers (some powered, some not)...

Can somebody enlighten me as to why it would be setup like that?

Thanks!

J

Tim Halligan

Re: speaker on a stick setup at vmworld
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 01:19:56 AM »

Some bizarre form of press bridge perhaps?

Cheers,
Tim
An analogue brain in a digital world.

John Penkala

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 05:55:07 AM »

My day job is related to tech and I just got back from a conference in san francisco ...

In the breakout rooms they were using wireless lav miss plugged into yamaha digital boards ...

From there, they were connected to a variety of analog boards before connecting to the speakers (some powered, some not)...

Thanks!

J

It could be that the client of the venue brought in their own A/V vendor and ran it this way to appease the in house vendor. This kind of stuff can happen when outside vendors work in union staffed venues.

TonyWilliams

• Nashville, TN
    • Blog
speaker on a stick setup at vmworld
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 07:19:09 AM »

I'm thinking like what John said. The hotel provides a small mixer, and the A/V guys decided to just run through that. But since you say powered speakers instead of in house ceiling speakers, I'm not sure.

- Tony Williams
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 10:16:14 AM »

In hotels this is often less a matter of union houses than vendor contracts.  AV vendors contract with the major hotel chains to become the "in-house" supplier.  The hotels take back 60-75% of every dollar the AV vendor charges.  The only recourse for the AV vendor to remain solvent is to write the contract to stake out certain 'must have' provisions when any AV type services are utilized in the hotel.  All of this is very malleable of course depending on the hotels' client.  If this is a major corporate client that block books entire major market hotels with this chain several times a year then the hotel general manager is much more likely to tell the in house AV to take a hike when the client brings in their regular AV vendor.  A middle ground for a good client is to let the in-house furnish their minimum set up and have the client's designated AV vendor handle the actual value end, dealing with the presenters, making recordings and handling the media content. 

If you were in an older hotel say early 20th century construction its possible that the breakout rooms had no installed sound or it may be that the installed sound was just too flakey and neither the hotel nor the in-house AV saw fit to make the investment - thus the sound on a stick.

It could be that the client of the venue brought in their own A/V vendor and ran it this way to appease the in house vendor. This kind of stuff can happen when outside vendors work in union staffed venues.

Jason Vanick

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 01:54:59 PM »

if it matters at all, this was at all 3 buildings of the Moscone center...

I guess I can see the point regarding appeasing the unions...

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 02:20:28 PM »

if it matters at all, this was at all 3 buildings of the Moscone center...

I guess I can see the point regarding appeasing the unions...

Either you don't understand the word "appease" or your didn't fully understand Mr. Casey's comments about in-house AV contractors.  This is zero, zip, nada to do with appeasing a union because IF the event center is a union house (and I'm pretty sure Moscone IS), it doesn't matter where the equipment came from, the union contract regarding LABOR prevails regardless.  The union contract, however, doesn't have shit to do with the equipment or its deployment.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 03:12:18 PM »

Thanks!

J

Analog "individual zone volume controls" so the room captains can adjust the sound level to taste without messing with a 'spensive digital doo-hickey.......and a way to accomodate both the A/V provider and the in-house provider.  Everybody gets to hook up their toys and charge for them.

Yee-haw!!!!!
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 03:12:18 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 25 queries.