ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: RESULTS: Digital Mixer Shootout and VUE Audiotechnik Demo  (Read 51144 times)

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: RESULTS: Digital Mixer Shootout and VUE Audiotechnik Demo
« Reply #70 on: September 02, 2012, 06:52:18 pm »

Additionally, I've used the mixer at a handfull of gigs.   One of which was for the indie rock band "The Weeks", whose lead singer has challenged my 01v96v2 for 4 years in a row at this particular festival I do.    This year the sound of full band and screaming singer was stellar, even coherent.     The X32 was the difference.   Well, that and the PR-22 instead of SM58   ;D     But I guarantee that the mixer did it's part.

Just to be accurate, were you using the PR-22 back when that singer was challenging your 01v96v2, or are you comparing a SM58 + 01v96v2 to PR-22 + X32? If your singer was challenging the 01v96v2 with a PR-22 we have eliminated that variable and have a valid comparison.

BTW microphones and speakers actually do sound different.  8)

JR
Don't tune your drums half-ass. Listen to what a properly "cleared" drum sounds like.   http://circularscience.com/

James A. Griffin

« Reply #71 on: September 02, 2012, 07:03:26 pm »

Just to be accurate, were you using the PR-22 back when that singer was challenging your 01v96v2, or are you comparing a SM58 + 01v96v2 to PR-22 + X32? If your singer was challenging the 01v96v2 with a PR-22 we have eliminated that variable and have a valid comparison.

BTW microphones and speakers actually do sound different.  8)

JR

Over 4 previous gigs:    All used 01v96v2 as mixer.        Mic:  Year 1&2    SM58     3 Beta 87    4  PR20   

This year PR22.       So MAYBE you could say the mic played some role, although the PR20 with Yam was not so great either.   

If you want to conclude that PR22 + X32 played a role, I won't argue.    My sense is the X32 played a somewhat larger role than the PR22, based on my experiences with the band, the mics, and the mixer.

I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #72 on: September 02, 2012, 07:11:12 pm »

You were there driving the bus... I wasn't.

I'm just trying to keep it apples vs. apples.

I defer to your judgement kind sir.

JR

Don't tune your drums half-ass. Listen to what a properly "cleared" drum sounds like.   http://circularscience.com/

James A. Griffin

« Reply #73 on: September 02, 2012, 08:25:48 pm »

You were there driving the bus... I wasn't.

I'm just trying to keep it apples vs. apples.

I defer to your judgement kind sir.

JR

I'm all about the apples... and I realize there was a good degree of subjectivity in my comment.   Suffice it to say that I like the sound of the X32 better than the 01v96v2.   

:)
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

duane massey

« Reply #74 on: September 02, 2012, 11:15:48 pm »

Thanks, James, that's the type of hands-on info I am looking for. I like apples, too. I find subjectivity to be important if it is from someone who's credibility is well-established. Specs are great (and very important as well), but the final result is the perception of the listener.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Geri O'Neil

« Reply #75 on: September 03, 2012, 12:10:15 am »

Thanks, James, that's the type of hands-on info I am looking for. I like apples, too. I find subjectivity to be important if it is from someone who's credibility is well-established. Specs are great (and very important as well), but the final result is the perception of the listener.

Well, I hope this doesn't shake up any particular trees, but my feelings about the X32 had as much as or more to do with its feature set and its bang for the buck factor. As I've said ad nauseum (and I'm out and back to my tunnel-vision world after this), the sound of none of the mixers in our event sucked. I had my favorite, and even though there was a mixer with the most votes as best-sounding, it wasn't at all unanimous. In fact, every mixer was someone's favorite. And it was said by more than one person, me included, that picking a favorite was damned tough. And I spent time comparing the X32 to three other mixers other than the ones involved in the shoot-out. This time, the X32 was not my favorite. But again, mighty damned close, splitting-hair close. And with mixers from almost to more than 10 times the X32's price.

I guess there's a point in this somewhere, but I'll leave it to those that care to make of it what they will.

Oh, and this one, too. I'd like to see one (or two) in our house.

Geri O
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 12:12:02 am by Geri O'Neil »

duane massey

« Reply #76 on: September 03, 2012, 12:24:21 am »

Thanks, Geri. The application I am working on is nowhere near as critical as what you deal with, so your input is invaluable.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #76 on: September 03, 2012, 12:24:21 am »

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 20 queries.