ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: RESULTS: Digital Mixer Shootout and VUE Audiotechnik Demo  (Read 51124 times)

paul bell

Re: RESULTS: Digital Mixer Shootout and VUE Audiotechnik Demo
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2012, 07:52:04 pm »

Holy smokes Tim, it's been five years already!

At this point, what I'm interested about is the reliability of the X32 console in use. We've all seen the occasional post about XYZ digital console failing at critical moment. I suppose time will tell. I sold one PreSonus SL console to a client here in NYC and it was a complete train wreck. Money refunded but to me it knocks it out of my personal consideration.

While I'm certain the speakers at this gathering were great, I'd like to hear more about the X32.

What operational changes were suggested to the reps?

Geri O'Neil

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2012, 07:54:49 pm »

Glad to see Abdul EQ was there in spirit. Sorry I didn't make it over. Saturday, I was up on my roof patching a leak.

It looks like you managed OK. :-)  Congrats to all who participated and to the gear for holding in all it's magic smoke. 

JR

PS: I hear we might get some real rain next week... :-(  My roof is ready, bring it on. :-)

That's why I haven't stopped long enough to post more than I have. Planning to button down our place and possibly a trip to Ocean Springs to talk Mom off the beach. Almost literally... ::)

Geri O

Geri O'Neil

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2012, 08:06:12 pm »

Holy smokes Tim, it's been five years already!

At this point, what I'm interested about is the reliability of the X32 console in use. We've all seen the occasional post about XYZ digital console failing at critical moment. I suppose time will tell. I sold one PreSonus SL console to a client here in NYC and it was a complete train wreck. Money refunded but to me it knocks it out of my personal consideration.

While I'm certain the speakers at this gathering were great, I'd like to hear more about the X32.

What operational changes were suggested to the reps?

I suppose that since I was probably the guy with the most hands-on experience (other than James, who had the other one and might have done a show on it), I should post some particulars about it. But with a Mom near the beach on the MS coast, my and my girlfriend's places here, and our shop and the boss's house while he's gone this week, I'm up to my ears in getting ready to, well, get ready for a possible hurricane. Maybe later tonight....

One quick thought I had for Joe and John, which we discussed at the time... It's great to be able to record straight to a USB stick. An indication of recording time and/or space left on the stick would be handy to have.

Geri O

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2012, 11:57:08 pm »

One look at the photos and I'm greatly releived to now know I'm not the ugliest or oldest guy on this site. And I know for sure my knees don't look as bad as Doug's.

All joking aside I had seriously considered a quick flight down. I'm on vacation, but unfortunately I have spent the past week at the hospital with my 90 year old Dad. He's doing much better and I'm thankful to the big guy above.

As stubborn as I am it's beggining to look like I can be converted thanks to you guys, and what appears to be serious effort on the part of Behringer. Thank you all for the efforts, the additional work from all of you, and of course thank you to Vue and Behringer. It is this type of effort and professionalism that underlines the words "Pro Sound Web."
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Geri O'Neil

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2012, 12:08:36 am »

One look at the photos and I'm greatly releived to now know I'm not the ugliest or oldest guy on this site. And I know for sure my knees don't look as bad as Doug's.

All joking aside I had seriously considered a quick flight down. I'm on vacation, but unfortunately I have spent the past week at the hospital with my 90 year old Dad. He's doing much better and I'm thankful to the big guy above.

As stubborn as I am it's beggining to look like I can be converted thanks to you guys, and what appears to be serious effort on the part of Behringer. Thank you all for the efforts, the additional work from all of you, and of course thank you to Vue and Behringer. It is this type of effort and professionalism that underlines the words "Pro Sound Web."

Would loved to have met you and see you at the event, Bob, but you most certainly did the right and only thing. Glad your Pop pulled through.

I have more to mention later, when this possible weather event passes, but for now, I can unequivocally say:

"This ain't yer father's Behringer"

Geri O
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 08:44:55 am by Geri O'Neil »

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2012, 08:08:28 am »

You can't even see my knees (which are in fine shape BTW:-)  !!!

No has mentioned the mixer which won by all accounts was analog.  At the end, we repatched around the digital desks and it audible.   

BTW each digital desk was set up for mic preamp gain at -12 DbFS in order to drive them a bit.

"It's got electrolytes.  It's got what plants crave."

James A. Griffin

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2012, 10:03:51 am »

I have more to mention later, when this possible weather event passes, but for now, I can unequivocally say:

"This ain't yer father's Behringer"

Geri O

+1.    Geri has nailed the headline that comes out of this event.

Yes, we had a small sampling of ears attempting to rate the subjective "sound quality" of the boards and we can debate about how useful that information is.   But the real news here is that a board with a Behringer badge stood next to the better known brands and no one smirked or rolled their eyes.      After "the vote", we all agreed that the sound of the mixers was very close.   And Doug is correct that the APB sounded better than any of the digital desks.    But let's for a moment say that all the digital boards sounded so closely alike  that it could be fairly called a tie.     Then there remains the more objective assessment of the functionality of the 3 boards.

X32 v LS9.   I don't want to comment too much on this issue, since I'm not the one present with the most experience on the LS9.      However, I would step out on a limb and say that most of those  comfortable with their LS9 would be comfortable with the X32.   Nat Duncan has used the LS9 as his primary mixer for how long? 6-7 years Nat?     Nat now has one of the demo X32 in his hands and we hope he'll have shop time and a few gigs with it soon.    We'll look forward to his comments.

X32 v Presonus SL24.4.2      I picked up this board 3 months ago at the price of $3300, still the current price at the online box houses.    It's a solid board.   Sounds great and  the work flow makes good sense once you get used to their different way of doing things.    I also like the idea that if you need more inputs, you can cascade two units with a firewire cable, doubling your inputs.   I've never done that, but John Moore's YouTube video makes the process seem very easy and seamless.   This is a very cool feature that I had planned to implement.    24 inputs would get me through most of the things I do.   The 2nd unit would get me through those bigger gigs, but would more often be used as a back up or 2nd mixer for a multi-stage event.    Owning two of these would seem to be  a good business move for a small provider like myself.

Two things are a bit inconvenient about the Presonus:  a)  the very small monochrome display screen makes EQ, dynamic, and effects adjustments a bit slow.   You pretty much have to use Universal Control or iPad to make these functions work easily   and b)  lack of moving faders requires the user to manually adjust faders after re-calling scenes.   Again, this is easier with the UC and iPad, but I just believe it would be a much better mixer if the control surface itself were as easy to use as the computer interfaces are.

All that being said,  in my opinion, the X32 lives up to it's marketing hype as a "Game Changer".   It will not affect those > 10K mixers out there, but for those contemplating an LS9, the X32 provides most of that functionality at a much lower price, while adding a few nice things you don't get with the LS9.     For those contemplating a Studio Live 24.4.2, the X32 brings significantly more features at $400 less.        I don't pretend to know the intricacies of how big global music companies market their product, but my guess is that Presonus willl have to drop their price quite a bit in order to hold on to market share after word of the X32 gets out.   Or perhaps they'll introduce a new model with a greatly beefed up feature set.
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

Frederik RosenkjŠr

« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2012, 10:19:20 am »

No has mentioned the mixer which won by all accounts was analog.  At the end, we repatched around the digital desks and it audible.   

Was this done blindfolded? Or did you know it was being done?
Affiliations: Danley Sound Labs, Yamaha (MI)

James A. Griffin

« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2012, 10:21:49 am »

Was this done blindfolded? Or did you know it was being done?

We did not know which of the 3 digital boards were playing during the test.  After the test, Doug played the analog.   We knew it was  the analog, but it was not an official part of the test.
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

Andre Vare

• Hamilton, ON Canada
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2012, 10:44:33 am »

I've tabulated raw data and will offer that now, with more detailed info and impressions to come from other participants.
Thank you for taking the time to arrange the testing, perform it, and sharing the results.

Andre

ProSoundWeb Community

┬ź Reply #29 on: August 27, 2012, 10:44:33 am ┬╗

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 22 queries.