ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: RESULTS: Digital Mixer Shootout and VUE Audiotechnik Demo  (Read 51123 times)

James A. Griffin

RESULTS: Digital Mixer Shootout and VUE Audiotechnik Demo
« on: August 26, 2012, 03:39:35 pm »

I've tabulated raw data and will offer that now, with more detailed info and impressions to come from other participants.

The setup & protocol:

Doug brought an Oppo 95 BluRay player and discs which fed his APB console.    The console provided identical stereo feeds to the LS9, X32 and SL 24.4.2.     Outputs levels were matched to within .5 db using Sys-Tune.   Output of one mixer at a time was fed to the VUE speakers via Kramer VS-4X switch.     

The same song was played several times, with Geri O switching and telling us it was 1, 2 , or 3 at any given time.  Only Geri knew which was being played.

11 attendees turned in response forms.   I saw some writing, but not turning in.  And some didn't fill out response forms.

"Which mixer do you think had the best overall sound?"

Behringer X32                6
Yamaha LS9                   3
Presonus  SL 24.4.2       2
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
Re: RESULTS: Digital Mixer Shootout and VUE Audiotechnik Demo
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 03:42:51 pm »

James,
would you be so kind as to start a seperate thread for you and other attendees to post thier results and oppinions please.

Also, where you able to use the material I sent?
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

James A. Griffin

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 03:47:55 pm »

James,
would you be so kind as to start a seperate thread for you and other attendees to post thier results and oppinions please.

Also, where you able to use the material I sent?

Bob,

This IS the separate thread  ;-)

Thanks for sending the material, but we didn't have a chance to use it.   Doug Fowler had chosen Aaron Neville's "Everybody Plays The Fool" as our song for the day.  It make a lot of sense for us to listen to all the speakers and consoles with the one recording in our heads.   We all got to know the song's sonic qualities and it made it easier for us to evaluate differences in the various products.    It was a wise choice on his part.
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

Per Sovik

• Sogn, Norway, Europe
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 03:54:50 pm »

<snip>
11 attendees turned in response forms.   I saw some writing, but not turning in.  And some didn't fill out response forms.

"Which mixer do you think had the best overall sound?"

Behringer X32                6
Yamaha LS9                   3
Presonus  SL 24.4.2       2
Wow, allowing for the HUGE statistical uncertainty of such a small sample, that must be a really satisfying result for Behringer.

I wonder how the X32 did in the A/B test against the more expensive consoles. I gather that part was an informal thing without any blind test listening and result gathering taking place?

Geri O'Neil

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 04:36:33 pm »

Wow, allowing for the HUGE statistical uncertainty of such a small sample, that must be a really satisfying result for Behringer.

I wonder how the X32 did in the A/B test against the more expensive consoles. I gather that part was an informal thing without any blind test listening and result gathering taking place?

Per, I'm not quite certain how to take your post and assertions. From the start, this was not intended to be anything more than an informal gathering of like-minded sound folks in our area to have some fun and do some casual listening and comparing of a few pieces of equipment. And having said that, James and Doug both went to considerable expense and outlay of time and effort, along with Vue and Behringer providing products and reps to assist us in our undertaking, fully understanding that there would be no big-name movers and shakers participating, but nonetheless treating us like we were a big deal.

There were only 3 consoles in this excercise. The X32, the Presonus SL24, and the Yamaha LS9. Personally, I was more concerned about how the several-year-old, older tech, and not exactly showroom shiny (sorry, Nat, just pickin', sorta) LS9 was gonna compare against the more recent technology in the other two. It actually fared pretty well against the other 2, all things considered.

If you want to attempt to invalidate our findings because of the informal and not 100% scientific methods and results (and Doug went WAAAY above and beyond the call, not only presenting a terrific display of the VUE products, but greatly assisting us with the methods and level-matching of the three DUTs), then by all means, feel free to do so. I kinda thought "oh, crap" when I saw that James had announced our intentions on the LAB because I smelled something like this coming. "So you're not up for some criticism of your methods?" What's to criticize? This was what it was. And I shouldn't have to tell you that you need to look into the magazines, online groups, and other organizations for the formal and official information you seem to be seeking. I have no interest in comparing the X32 to a Pro 2 or an SC48. I don't have to.

I'll say this...I set up the X32, our M7CL, our PM5D, and our CL5 in our shop last week for several reasons, one of which was to listen to all of them. I'm not even gonna describe the methodology. It doesn't matter. I found out what i wanted to know with no intentions of sharing it. And all I care to say is that the X32 held its own, although not to the point of making me want to replace any of the Yamahas. But I'd like to see one or two of them around in addition to, no doubt.

As I fully expected, none of the 3 consoles sucked. That might be all I care to say on the matter.

Geri O
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 05:01:00 pm by Geri O'Neil »

Joe Sanborn

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 04:57:02 pm »

Thanks James, Nat, Geri, Doug and all who participated yesterday.

It was great to have the time to test, work with and listen to gear all day.  What could be better!

We were there to support the event but intentionally stepped out to the way for the blind listening test.  Obviously I am very pleased with the results. 

The Jazz concert afterwards sounded really amazing and I was glad the community came out to enjoy a great band.

If anyone has any questions on the X32, shoot me a message.

Thanks Again,
Joe Sanborn
BEHRINGER

Per Sovik

• Sogn, Norway, Europe
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 05:09:22 pm »

Per, I'm not quite certain how to take your post and assertions.

Sorry if my wording offended you, I was not attempting to criticize the shootout or the methology. I am satisfied to see that a majority liked the mixer I have bought, while at the same time realizing that it is a small group of answers, so I won't go around boasting that a majority of people thinks it sound better than the two other mixers.
I was also curious to know how a seasoned, neutral professional found the mixer in comparion to more expensive boards that are clearly in another marketsegment, but nonetheless it is an interesting comparison, that I bet you also did out of curiousity and interest.
Again, apologies for any offense.

James A. Griffin

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 05:10:48 pm »

Thanks James, Nat, Geri, Doug and all who participated yesterday.

It was great to have the time to test, work with and listen to gear all day.  What could be better!

We were there to support the event but intentionally stepped out to the way for the blind listening test.  Obviously I am very pleased with the results. 

The Jazz concert afterwards sounded really amazing and I was glad the community came out to enjoy a great band.

If anyone has any questions on the X32, shoot me a message.

Thanks Again,
Joe Sanborn
BEHRINGER

When I first emailed Behringer about this idea a couple of months ago, they immediately liked  & supported the idea, to the tune of sending me two X32 and two S16 stageboxes.    That they did so and sent  people from Los Angeles and NY to Mississippi on a Saturday seemed to be a measure of the confidence they have in their product.  Joe Sanborn and John DiNicola were very knowledgeable about the X32 and were able to answer our questions about how to use a function or why certain things about the mixer were as they were.

We had a few comments for them about what we'd like to see in future firmware updates and they took serious note of them, as if some of them might happen.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2012, 05:11:46 pm »

Per, I'm not quite certain how to take your post and assertions. From the start, this was not intended to be anything more than an informal gathering of like-minded sound folks in our area to have some fun and do some casual listening and comparing of a few pieces of equipment. And having said that, James and Doug both went to considerable expense and outlay of time and effort, along with Vue and Behringer providing products and reps to assist us in our undertaking, fully understanding that there would be no big-name movers and shakers participating, but nonetheless treating us like we were a big deal.

There were only 3 consoles in this excercise. The X32, the Presonus SL24, and the Yamaha LS9. Personally, I was more concerned about how the several-year-old, older tech, and not exactly showroom shiny (sorry, Nat, just pickin', sorta) LS9 was gonna compare against the more recent technology in the other two. It actually fared pretty well against the other 2, all things considered.

If you want to attempt to invalidate our findings because of the informal and not 100% scientific methods and results (and Doug went WAAAY above and beyond the call, not only presenting a terrific display of the VUE products, but greatly assisting us with the methods and level-matching of the three DUTs), then by all means, feel free to do so. I kinda thought "oh, crap" when I saw that James had announced our intentions on the LAB because I smelled something like this coming. "So you're not up for some criticism of your methods?" What's to criticize? This was what it was. And I shouldn't have to tell you that you need to look into the magazines, online groups, and other organizations for the formal and official information you seem to be seeking. I have no interest in comparing the X32 to a Pro 2 or an SC48. I don't have to.

I'll say this...I set up the X32, our M7CL, our PM5D, and our CL5 in our shop last week for several reasons, one of which was to listen to all of them. I'm not even gonna describe the methodology. It doesn't matter. I found out what i wanted to know with no intentions of sharing it. And all I care to say is that the X32 held its own, although not to the point of making me want to replace any of the Yamahas. But I'd like to see one or two of them around in addition to, no doubt.

As I fully expected, none of the 3 consoles sucked. That might be all I care to say on the matter.

Geri O

The arm-chair quarterbacking is why I'll never again participate in a listening evaluation and post results on a public forum.  I'm still a little chapped over the bullshit that came down after Paul Bell's NYC subwoofer listening and evaluation in 2007.

My take on this is "if you weren't there and don't like the either the methods or results, fuck you."
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

James A. Griffin

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2012, 05:19:48 pm »

The arm-chair quarterbacking is why I'll never again participate in a listening evaluation and post results on a public forum.  I'm still a little chapped over the bullshit that came down after Paul Bell's NYC subwoofer listening and evaluation in 2007.

My take on this is "if you weren't there and don't like the either the methods or results, fuck you."

As Geri has said several times, this was all in good fun and born out of curiosity about how the new mixer would sound when compared to ones we're more familiar with.

We all agreed in our discussions afterward that the audible differences were very small.     A competent FOH guy would have no difficulty doing a great show on any of them.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2012, 05:19:48 pm »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 22 queries.