ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Rant about Lab Lounge Users of Powered Speakers  (Read 26148 times)

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

• Az Concert Sound Solutions
Rant about Lab Lounge Users of Powered Speakers
« on: August 26, 2012, 09:07:00 AM »

I just read a thread about someone wanting help tuning his system with some Yamaha powered tops and QSC powered subs.  These topics come up quite a bit so this isn't a rant about this one particular member but to lounge members as a whole who are using powered speakers from different manufacturers.....

1.  Manufacturers these days seem to make sure that their subs and tops work together as a system.

2.  When you buy a "system" you generally do not need a DSP as they have taken care of it for you and have provided an output to send from the subs to the tops or vice versa that sends the correctly processed signal.

3.  When you buy different bands of powered subs and tops you are giving up much of the benefits that the manufacturer has engineered into thier "system" for you.

So whatever the reasoning is behind trying to buy different brands of gear to half hazzardly put a rig together, please do yourself a favor and buy a "System" and you will be so much happier in the long run.  Choose a system based upon the one that fits your needs the best rather than the fact that you like ABCs subs and XYZs tops.  You can't do a fair comparison of individual componants, you have to listen and evaluate them as entire systems.  Some will have a narrower dispersion pattern versus others while some may have downward aimed horns or conical horns, these are things to consider when you are choosing a system,  some are pole mountable, some have three way tops, etc.  Some will even fit into a Yugo, that may be a really important feature for some.

End of a very mild rant and hopefully someone will take notice when shopping for a new system and actually buy a "System" rather than just a bunch of speakers.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Rant about Lab Lounge Users of Powered Speakers
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 09:13:18 AM »

I just read a thread about someone wanting help tuning his system with some Yamaha powered tops and QSC powered subs.  These topics come up quite a bit so this isn't a rant about this one particular member but to lounge members as a whole who are using powered speakers from different manufacturers.....

1.  Manufacturers these days seem to make sure that their subs and tops work together as a system.

2.  When you buy a "system" you generally do not need a DSP as they have taken care of it for you and have provided an output to send from the subs to the tops or vice versa that sends the correctly processed signal.

3.  When you buy different bands of powered subs and tops you are giving up much of the benefits that the manufacturer has engineered into thier "system" for you.

So whatever the reasoning is behind trying to buy different brands of gear to half hazzardly put a rig together, please do yourself a favor and buy a "System" and you will be so much happier in the long run.  Choose a system based upon the one that fits your needs the best rather than the fact that you like ABCs subs and XYZs tops.  You can't do a fair comparison of individual componants, you have to listen and evaluate them as entire systems.  Some will have a narrower dispersion pattern versus others while some may have downward aimed horns or conical horns, these are things to consider when you are choosing a system,  some are pole mountable, some have three way tops, etc.  Some will even fit into a Yugo, that may be a really important feature for some.

End of a very mild rant and hopefully someone will take notice when shopping for a new system and actually buy a "System" rather than just a bunch of speakers.

+1
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Sharyn Ferrick

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 09:43:25 AM »

Not all of the powered tops come with an appropriate sub, EV-zxa5 probably works best with something like  a Yorkville LS800/801P. Mackie had well respected tops in the Srv450, BUT the 1801 and 1501 were not favorites. 
Sharyn

Sean Lehman

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 01:48:05 PM »

Hey Ryan, just want to state the reason I went with the mismatched brand system I purchased.  The reason I chose the KWs was based on spec/reviews/and portability. I was highly considering the KW 122 but based on all the positive reviews I've read on the DSR it fit better with what I'm doing. The main reason was the dispersion like you stated.  The KW is 75 and knowing I'm not going to splay anything soon, I figured the DSR with the 90 pattern was the best choice.

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 02:35:28 PM »

Hey Ryan, just want to state the reason I went with the mismatched brand system I purchased.  The reason I chose the KWs was based on spec/reviews/and portability. I was highly considering the KW 122 but based on all the positive reviews I've read on the DSR it fit better with what I'm doing. The main reason was the dispersion like you stated.  The KW is 75 and knowing I'm not going to splay anything soon, I figured the DSR with the 90 pattern was the best choice.

Here's my first show yesterday.  The 90 x 50 pattern is ideal for for this situation. The K-12's are being used as sidefills. I don't have a problem interchanging subs and tops as the situation demands. This show needed a fast load out as I and my associate were booked at different shows a short time later.

Charlie Zureki

• South Eastern Michigan (near Windsor)
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 03:06:22 PM »

Here's my first show yesterday.  The 90 x 50 pattern is ideal for for this situation. The K-12's are being used as sidefills. I don't have a problem interchanging subs and tops as the situation demands. This show needed a fast load out as I and my associate were booked at different shows a short time later.

Hey,
Tell that kid to find somewhere else to sit. Leaning on the stack may cause him a headache. ;D

Hammer
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 03:08:34 PM by Charlie Zureki »
Do it the right way....don't be a Dino!

James A. Griffin

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 03:20:21 PM »

Hey,
Tell that kid to find somewhere else to sit. Leaning on the stack may cause him a headache. ;D

Hammer

+1.   Kid probably can't even spell "Liability".
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Charlie Zureki

• South Eastern Michigan (near Windsor)
Do it the right way....don't be a Dino!

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2012, 04:51:14 PM »

Hey,

Hammer
Two words-thinning out the "gene pool".
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2012, 04:51:14 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 24 queries.