ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NSI 2408CD Troubles  (Read 8983 times)

John Woodfield

• Lab Lounge
NSI 2408CD Troubles
« on: October 01, 2012, 10:23:55 PM »

I have a 2408CD dimmer pack for my house lights. I have one channel that is not working at all, another that the lights flicker randomly.

Is there any troubleshooting that can be done/part replacement or do I need to replace the entire unit?

Scott Hofmann

Re: NSI 2408CD Troubles
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 12:07:54 AM »

If you turn off power to the entire unit and take the cover off, then power back up, you will see two control boards at the bottom of the cabinet. The left board is usually the first 4 dimmers and the right board the second 4. Observe the 4 amber LEDs that follow the drive signal on each board to see if your control signal is driving the board. If it does and there is no output, the SSR (power cube) for that channel is probably open and can easily be replaced. If an LED indicator flickers, then your control source might be the problem instead.
I've observed that these control boards have a habit of going bad in time. NSI/Leviton actually is pretty speedy repairing them and the price is reasonable. No need to replace the entire cabinet.
Scott Hofmann

John Woodfield

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 09:44:18 AM »

If you turn off power to the entire unit and take the cover off, then power back up, you will see two control boards at the bottom of the cabinet. The left board is usually the first 4 dimmers and the right board the second 4. Observe the 4 amber LEDs that follow the drive signal on each board to see if your control signal is driving the board. If it does and there is no output, the SSR (power cube) for that channel is probably open and can easily be replaced. If an LED indicator flickers, then your control source might be the problem instead.
I've observed that these control boards have a habit of going bad in time. NSI/Leviton actually is pretty speedy repairing them and the price is reasonable. No need to replace the entire cabinet.

The power cubes are the large square boxes toward the bottom that have a curved top point toward the outside of the box?

To troubleshoot the control source I could probably switch the dipswitches to place it on a different spot? i.e. instead of 1-8 make it say 24-32?

Is there a source to order the parts from online?

Scott Hofmann

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 06:20:57 PM »

No, the SSR's (power cubes) are the small rectangular blue or black plastic "blocks" attached to the aluminum heat sinks on each side of the cabinet. One power lead goes to the chokes which are the parts you are describing. You can swap the power cubes around to see if one is defective, but you'll need to replace the heat sink compound (available from Radio Shack) between the cube and the heat sink when you put them back. I think these are dual SSRs, meaning there are two independent dimming channels per block, so if only half of it is bad, you have to replace the block containing both channels, so it would take another channel temporarily out of service.

Changing the dip switches so the dimmers respond to a different set of control channels could help make sure the problem is not in the control console. You could also set both boards to the same set of addresses and if one set of four LED indicators responds correctly and the other set doesn't, you know it's not the control console.
You can also swap the two control boards around. They are identical.
Have you called Leviton/NSI tech support at 1-800-959-6004?
They can also give you the part numbers and procedure for ordering replacement parts or sending the boards in for repair if they are found to be the source of the problem. Like I said,they have been speedy and reasonable in their charges in the past.
Hope this helps.

Scott Hofmann

Doug Hammel

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 02:18:12 PM »

As the others have said it is more than likely the "power cubes" on the side of the dimmer case. Our church has two of these for our sanctuary house lights. Two channels went out and of course they were on seperate power cube pairs, go figure. The guys at NSI/Leviton were excellent to work with, they were on the phone with me for close to an hour while we trouble shooted the dimmers and console till we found the culprit. The power cubes by the way are about $120 bucks and as stated before they control two channels. The NSI guys told me this is usually the reason for problems with these dimmer packs.

I have a 2408CD dimmer pack for my house lights. I have one channel that is not working at all, another that the lights flicker randomly.

Is there any troubleshooting that can be done/part replacement or do I need to replace the entire unit?

Scott Hofmann

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 10:41:03 AM »

The commonly used Crydom D2440-10 dual power cube is available from most electronics parts houses like Mouser Electronics for under $43 in quantity of 1 with no minimum order.
Scott Hofmann

Doug Hammel

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 09:22:11 AM »

Hello Scott, that 120.00 price was from NSI. I am waiting on the powers that be at our church to approve the PO. I knew there would be a "cheaper alternative", I just haven't looked around yet so thanks for the help. I will give Mouser a call
Cheers,
Doug Hammel

The commonly used Crydom D2440-10 dual power cube is available from most electronics parts houses like Mouser Electronics for under $43 in quantity of 1 with no minimum order.

Scott Hofmann

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 04:17:39 PM »

Doug-- I do not have the NSI dimmer in front of me so be sure to double-check the SSR part number before ordering!
Scott Hofmann

Doug Hammel

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 09:42:34 PM »

Thanks for the post Scott, after my post I checked again and it is different from the pic on Mousers website. I will have to see if I can cross reference the NSI one with a equilvilent but lower priced one.
Thanks,
Doug Hammel

Doug-- I do not have the NSI dimmer in front of me so be sure to double-check the SSR part number before ordering!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 09:42:34 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 25 queries.