ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Ideas for powering LEDs on a bar  (Read 10554 times)

Michael Miller

Ideas for powering LEDs on a bar
« on: August 25, 2012, 03:17:55 AM »

I have a small "self defense" lighting system for my hobby sound company which consists of 4 trees;

The front tree's each have 4 traditional S4 pars on a bar; I drop the bar on the top of the tree, mount a dimmer pack on the vertical pole near the top using an O-clamp, plug the lights in to the dimmer, run power & DMX to the dimmer, raise it up and zip tie the lines to the tower.  This works well, goes quick and looks neat & tidy.

The back tree's each have 4 Elation Opti Tri Par LEDs.  Getting power & DMX to each of these cans is a hassle and always looks messy.  So I'm looking for ways to streamline this process by pre-wiring the bar.

I'd like to, for example, figure out a way to pre-wire the power on the bar so I only have to run one power line to the bar.  I thought about simply zip-tieing a strip to the bar but that's kinda tacky.  A 4 outlet strip that mounts with an O-Clamp like my dimmer packs do would be nice too, but I know of no source for something like that.  (The bar is for ST-132 stands and has a short vertical section in the middle I could mount to as long as it doesn't interfere with the cans.)

Anyone have any clever ideas out there to make life easier with these cans?

Thanks,
Mike

Thomas Bishop

Re: Ideas for powering LEDs on a bar
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 01:05:25 PM »

I'll try to get some pictures of how I wired mine. I used a power strip and it doesn't look tacky. It also allows me to jump the two bars together when on truss, as well as a place to plug in some other small non dim items (wireless dmx). I also have dmx prewired.

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 01:34:34 PM »

I have the adj with the iec pass thru. I use a 25 ft edison to iec to feed the tree and 3 foot iec to iec cables to imp to the other lights. They are zip tied in place with the dmx cables with enough slack to adjust or remove the lights.

If you don't have the pass through option I would use a quad drop from Windsor before I used a power strip.
Jay Barracato

Michael Miller

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 06:45:06 PM »

Well, here's what I came up with.  Not sure it's worth the effort and 6 trips to Home Depot, but it's functional.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 10:36:06 PM »

It may work but it won't pass any NEC tests.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Michael Miller

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 11:43:39 AM »

It may work but it won't pass any NEC tests.

I imagine there is a very good reason for each and every one of the NEC rules.  I have no significant investment (other than time) in this system and would not hesitate to pull it off and revert to an outlet strip if safety were a concern.  (And assuming an outlet strip is a safe alternative.)

What you can't see in the picture is that the splices are made with a screw fastener, soldered and then covered with heat shrink.  The metal box is tied to safety ground.  Each cable has strain relief to eliminate tension on the internal connections and the outer cable insulation extends 1/2" into the box.

If there are specific safety concerns, I really would like to hear about them so I can either address them or abandon this idea entirely.

Thanks,
Mike

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 12:39:33 PM »

The idea IS clever. However, the strain relief on the horizontal wires is designed for romex ( or more correctly, type NM ) and not for type SJ as you are using it. The code prohibits soldering connections where there is a proper screw fastener.

I suspect you don't work where wires get inspected so no one is likely to object. It is even likely better than many others do on a regular basis.

But, when you post home brew wiring on the Internet, you may get some comments on proper practice. I did on some of mine and I learned from it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
Re: Re: Ideas for powering LEDs on a bar
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 02:01:02 PM »

I imagine there is a very good reason for each and every one of the NEC rules.  I have no significant investment (other than time) in this system and would not hesitate to pull it off and revert to an outlet strip if safety were a concern.  (And assuming an outlet strip is a safe alternative.)

What you can't see in the picture is that the splices are made with a screw fastener, soldered and then covered with heat shrink.  The metal box is tied to safety ground.  Each cable has strain relief to eliminate tension on the internal connections and the outer cable insulation extends 1/2" into the box.

If there are specific safety concerns, I really would like to hear about them so I can either address them or abandon this idea entirely.

Thanks,
Mike

My concern is the length of the feeder pigtail. Unless you add some type of extra support (cable tie or tape) the weight of the cord is going to be pulling away from the plug. In other words, the friction of the plug has to hold 12 feet of extension cord in the air.
Jay Barracato

Spenser Hamilton

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 03:30:43 PM »

Well, here's what I came up with.  Not sure it's worth the effort and 6 trips to Home Depot, but it's functional.

We have quad boxes strapped to our light bars, the AC and DMX runs between the lights are zip tied down to look nice and clean (make sure to leave some slack to allow for focus). Haven't had an issue passing inspections with that setup.
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

Steven Leonard

• Sands Productions
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2012, 11:19:49 AM »

Here are some pics of a project I did a year or so ago. I wanted a Pre wired T Bar with AC & DMX and I wanted a nice clean look.

Hope this helps!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2012, 11:19:49 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 24 queries.