ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Types of podiums?  (Read 10599 times)

Matt Collins

Re: Types of podiums?
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2012, 12:01:25 AM »

i've even seen some with built in RGB LED edge lighting that's dmx controllable...now those are fancy!
Pics?

James Feenstra

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2012, 08:41:16 PM »

Pics?
they're a custom build...basically it's a standard acrylic lectern with some modifications. namely LED strip lighting down the edges of the front facing with the control box hidden in the base

the ones i've seen weren't entirely acrylic, they're an acrylic/polished metal hybrid, as you need to hide the sides/back. They look incredibly cool, especially when the company logo is etched into the acrylic front panel, as it lights up with the LEDs

as for actual cost, I have no idea.

you could even make a generic frame with a removable acrylic piece and do custom panels for clients.
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2012, 10:50:04 AM »

Let's see your preferences on podiums?

Transparent, thin, big and bulky, etc  8)
If you go for wood, make sure it's actual wood, not particle board.  They get decimated when handled roughly (unfortunately, that's what we have at my job).  Anything with a laminate will eventually get gouged or knicked and we be useless.  Cabinet-grade multi-ply birch (like that used to build loudspeaker cabinets) is pricey, but well worth the cost in the long run.

Lucite/Acrylic lecterns are nice, but should only be handled with cotton gloves, so as to avoid fingerprints.

My job has some video lecterns - 32" wide (minimum) with a plasma oriented vertically in the front of it.  You attach or upload an image and that becomes the client's logo/frame capture.  If you're savvy, you can change the display with the mood the client wants for the room. ;-)

Truss lecterns are popular…they're nice if you have any structurally unsound pieces lying around.  Just get them cut (or do it yourself) to a standard height (?) and add a top piece.  They probably even come as "make your own" nowadays.  They look really nice with a truss sock/condom and warmer (internal uplight).

Personally, I prefer the lecterns that the presenter can't hide behind.  They are fairly skinny and only require some judicious use of gaff tape to conceal the wires going to/from.

If you have no say in your podium du jour, then you should get some mic mounts that allow you to do what you need to with your mic(s) of choice.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Scott Hofmann

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2012, 06:07:16 PM »

After examining this lectern at Infocomm, I would never again buy a particle board or a wood lectern:
http://www.summitlectern.com/
They use them at a local military base for outdoor ceremonies as well.
Scott Hofmann

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2012, 10:27:23 AM »

You mean lecterns?????

I was always an firm believer in calling them Lecterns, not Podiums.  However most dictionaries now define Podium as a Lectern so now we can all just go with the flow.
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

Steve Kennedy-Williams

• Kennedy-Williams.net
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2012, 06:46:08 PM »

You mean lecterns?????

came here for this. thanks.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2012, 06:46:08 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 25 queries.