ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pro A/V/L resume?  (Read 10049 times)

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
Re: Editable files
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2013, 11:08:18 PM »

Never send an editable file to a client or potential client, or pretty much anyone else unless you want them to edit it. Send PDFs only. This does not just apply to resumes.

Since 1972 I can count on one finger the number of jobs I have gotten because of a resume. Even that, one although they asked for a resume, I had an interview based on a personal recommendation. It was probably the interview and the recommendation that got me the job.

Mac

+1

My wife is going through some corporate downsizing and having to do the whole résumé rewrite thing and I was wondering to myself how well I'd do finding a job today based on my résumé. Hope I don't actually have to find out anytime soon...
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

AllenDeneau

• Cookeville, TN / Nashville, TN
Re: Pro A/V/L resume?
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2013, 03:33:02 AM »

I suggest you're over thinking this. You've gotten plenty of useful advice and without specifics I think you could do this all day, just consuming feel-good advice. How about posting your resume for specific advice.

I second that Word docs should never be sent to strangers. Only PDF. Word screams "amateur old timer."

I wouldn't lead with "Mom and Pop experience" since it sounds like you've done much larger things. The small stuff isn't relevant at all once you've done bigger things--it just muddles your message. They don't want your life story. Also, they want crew people, not business owners, so I wouldn't pitch that side hard either. I suggest condensing and focusing your message.

CDL A could be a big one. Someone's gotta drive the truck to the venue...

I think obviously no one wants to know this stuff on a resume. This is the absolute basics that anyone beyond intern is expected to know. One can infer from corporate sound experience that a candidate has done these things.

Thanks All.

Andrew, I am not looking for "feel good" advide as I really am struggling with how to create a resume for this line of work. I don't have a resume for this, as I've never had to have one while owning my own business. The only reume I have is related to business outside of this industry, hence me asking what to include or omit and how to say it....

Definately wasn't planning on leading with or even including "mom & pop" biz stuff, it was just for a bit of background for those who've asked or made sugggestions. The only things I'd think that would be good to convey regarding being a business owner is, I understand customer service, I'm educated and can learn and I can handle responsibility... I agree they don't want to know about my day to day duties operating my business...

Obviously I was kidding about that I "listed" that I knew but there's a bit of truth there too, what do I try to convey that I do know and know well?

Let me come at it this way, in general, what is it that companies are seeking when they post a job opening on a job site asking for A1, A2, techs etc...?

So are you saying not to get specific? List out various event types and services that I've provided or worked on? Tell them I am comfortable and skilled at regularly mixing 2 - 40+ channels of audio? I have experience rigging and flying sound and lighting?

I'm gonna try to get a reume put together tomorrow or Tuesday and I'll see then about posting it here for a review. I'm not sure what I'll include but it seems that brevity is preferred with some highlights of various skill sets vs. an in-depth description of what consoles I've used and with whom I've worked...

I do agree that a CDL A should be helpful, this is the reason I kept it when I moved although it was a hassle, hoping it would come in handy for jobs...

I also agree with you all about PDF's, they are THE only way I'll send any electronic document. I spent the time formatting and designing it and I want it to be viewed as I designed it, a word doc just won't cut it.

That is correct that Office 2010 has the PDF creator which makes things really nice.

Thanks all, I do understand that, for the most part, a resume is "ceremonial" but this company has posted asking for resumes, so I need to get it done and to them.. I would like a resume for when I make great contacts, I'll have something to leave with them.. I never expected to pick up and move 500+ miles away and had a great word of mouth business going that I got lazy with taking pics of events and such so I don't have much eye candy except from our DJ side of things. Once I got the lighting and sound deployed all I had to do for the DJ gigs was watch and wait until it was time to strike so I did get lots of pics of those events. Still mostly lighting though...

Anyway, thanks all. I do appreciate your efforts to help...
Allen D.
Sound | DJ | Lighting

Thomas Bishop

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2013, 11:50:56 AM »

No offense but I feel like your time could be better spent in Word rather than your web browser. Your new questions I have already answered. Not to brag or sound conceited but the information I wrote is coming from both an employer and employee perspective. And of course there's all kinds of excellent suggestions in this thread. Reread the thread, start working on a resume, and if you're still having trouble there are companies out there that specialize in helping people write resumes.

AllenDeneau

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2013, 12:34:14 PM »

I would also take down the email address giving away the name of the company looking for people that these forums are filled with.

Missed this the first time I read your reply, done. thanks
Allen D.
Sound | DJ | Lighting

AllenDeneau

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2013, 12:40:27 PM »

I'm gonna try to get a reume put together tomorrow or Tuesday and I'll see then about posting it here for a review. I'm not sure what I'll include but it seems that brevity is preferred with some highlights of various skill sets vs. an in-depth description of what consoles I've used and with whom I've worked...

Anyway, thanks all. I do appreciate your efforts to help...

Thanks Thomas, as you may have missed, that's exactly what i said I was going to do. I was simply looking for a bit more direction in terms of what "specifically" to include with regard to "what I have experience with" that's all.

thanks everyone for your contributions.. wish me luck
Allen D.
Sound | DJ | Lighting

Thomas Bishop

« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2013, 02:33:08 PM »

Hey, man, I certainly feel ya.  It's tough to get started doing something that you're not entirely comfortable with and I'm a huge procrastinator.  I should be out looking for work, doing my taxes, and learning a new console right now but I'm sitting around on a forum that I got away from for this very reason.

You'll do fine, I promise.  When I look at resumes I'm not analyzing every single detail.  It should be legible, with no grammatical mistakes, and concisely summarize your experience as it relates to the job you're applying for.  The actual hiring is going to come from speaking to you on the phone, in person, and above all else who you know (and I know first hand how hard it is when you don't know anyone).

When I moved to NJ in 2006 I knew no one in the industry here.  I put a resume together, but what got me started was just opening the phone book.  I called a certain business several times and finally found the best time to actually have a conversation with the owner of the company.  He just said to check in with him periodically to see if he needed help.  I would call every week or so and eventually he knew of a guy that was hard up for crew for a particular gig.  I went, met both company owners for the first time, and I ended up working for the other (larger) company for around 5 years.  I don't think either of them ever saw my resume, it was strictly right time, right place.

Totally unrelated, I'll be at the Exit/In on July 7 if you're interested in grabbing a beer and chatting in person.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2013, 02:33:08 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 25 queries.