ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Plenum rated IEC power cables?  (Read 14903 times)

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Plenum rated IEC power cables?
« on: August 16, 2012, 11:52:30 AM »

Does anybody have a source for premade IEC cables that are plenum rated? I need some for a few LED lights I'm installing in a drop ceiling at a church.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Plenum rated IEC power cables?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 07:43:45 PM »

Does anybody have a source for premade IEC cables that are plenum rated? I need some for a few LED lights I'm installing in a drop ceiling at a church.
Are the cables going above the ceiling?

I could be wrong-but would "assume" (you know what happens when you do that------) that if the cable is not in the plenum space-it would not have to be rated as such.

Open for correction.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 08:21:44 PM »

Are the cables going above the ceiling?

I could be wrong-but would "assume" (you know what happens when you do that------) that if the cable is not in the plenum space-it would not have to be rated as such.

Open for correction.

Yes. They will be jumped from one to the next by going above the ceiling tiles. I can get the cable and ends to just build it, but I was hoping someone had a sources for premade cables with molded ends.

Nothings ever easy, is it....
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC

• COMSYSTEC
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 10:17:41 PM »

What's an IEC power cable??

-Hal

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 11:47:46 PM »

What's an IEC power cable??

-Hal

Standard computer AC cable. I don't know that IEC is the proper term, but it's all I've ever heard them called.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 07:16:51 AM »

Standard computer AC cable. I don't know that IEC is the proper term, but it's all I've ever heard them called.

I think Hal's comment was intended to be to the effect that the IEC reference relates to the termination and connectors.

As far as I know, you can't run portable cords like that above the ceiling regardless of whether they are plenum rated or not.  You might need to have an Electrician install a hardwired receptacle in the ceiling at each location.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 07:50:39 AM »

Yes. They will be jumped from one to the next by going above the ceiling tiles. I can get the cable and ends to just build it, but I was hoping someone had a sources for premade cables with molded ends.

Nothings ever easy, is it....
OK maybe I am missing something here.  I would assume the lights are actually in the room and not above the ceiling (in the plenum space).  If the lights are in the plenum space-how does the light get to where it needs to go?

So if the lights are in the room-how does the cable get above the celing?  Are their just holes in the ceiling?

I am also confused on how a standard IEC cable would be used to jump fixtures together?  What I am familiar with is units with a female link.  So the cable you need is a female to a male IEC NOT a female to edison (the standard one).

Again I could be wrong as I don't understand exactly what is going on-wiring and physical layout etc.

A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 10:42:58 AM »

OK maybe I am missing something here.  I would assume the lights are actually in the room and not above the ceiling (in the plenum space).  If the lights are in the plenum space-how does the light get to where it needs to go?

So if the lights are in the room-how does the cable get above the celing?  Are their just holes in the ceiling?

I am also confused on how a standard IEC cable would be used to jump fixtures together?  What I am familiar with is units with a female link.  So the cable you need is a female to a male IEC NOT a female to edison (the standard one).

Again I could be wrong as I don't understand exactly what is going on-wiring and physical layout etc.

I need a total of 5 LED's that are hung from under a drop ceiling grid. The LED's are not right next to each other, being scattered around the room. Therefor I was planning on running power to each through the plenum space in order to avoid visible wiring.

Correct that I'll need IEC male-female for jumpers, but that was the first pic I found to illustrate the cable.

It looks like I'll just have to build everything with the proper cord. I was hoping someone had what I needed though....

Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC

• COMSYSTEC
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 09:17:45 PM »

I need a total of 5 LED's that are hung from under a drop ceiling grid. The LED's are not right next to each other, being scattered around the room. Therefor I was planning on running power to each through the plenum space in order to avoid visible wiring.

Correct that I'll need IEC male-female for jumpers, but that was the first pic I found to illustrate the cable.

It looks like I'll just have to build everything with the proper cord. I was hoping someone had what I needed though....

Absolutely not. You are not allowed by code to run power cords within the ceiling space. An electrician can install receptacles above a hung ceiling BUT nothing permanent can be plugged into them.

Since flexible cords cannot be used as building wiring and are prohibited from being run within hung ceiling spaces there are no plenum rated extension or power cords.

The proper way to do this is to have an electrician install receptacles in the ceiling tile above each fixture. Then you would plug your power cord into it. It also may be possible to just install electrical boxes above each fixture then use a blank cover with something like a Heyco strain relief for the flexible cord. Cord gets spliced in the box instead of using a receptacle/plug making it look a little better.

This is the only way you would be allowed to do this and avoid liability.

-Hal

« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 09:20:38 PM by Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC »

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2012, 10:28:30 AM »

This is the only way you would be allowed to do this and avoid liability.

-Hal
And when it comes to liability-it dos not matter if what you did was actually the cause of the problem.

If you do anything wrong (and even if you didn't) then you can be held liable.

Just look at the Great White fire.  JBL had pay- and they had nothing to do with the starting of the fiire or the intoxicating fumes.  The people were dead by the time the stuff in the JBL cabinets started burning-but because it could burn and put off toxic fumes-they were guilty.

Even the buss company that brought the band to the gig was guilty.  For allowing the transportation of the pyro that started the fire-even if they didn't know it was in there.  They were supposed to check all luggage to make sure it was safe.  Of course then the band would have just found another bus company-but that is the way it goes.

lawyers will go after ANYBODY for ANYTHING!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2012, 10:28:30 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 23 queries.