ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Which ISO transformers do you carry ?  (Read 7899 times)

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
Re: Which ISO transformers do you carry ?
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2012, 09:50:20 AM »

There really is a difference between input transformers and output transformers btw.  If you're using generic iso's they are probably 600 ohm units and should be used to drive a line rather than receive a line.

Input transformers usually have a Faraday shield, and in the case of at least one Jensen model, they should have very low capacitance on their secondary side (Jensen recommends about 3 feet of typical shielded pair cable, IIRC).

However, in a typical voltage transfer system, I don't see the disadvantage of using an "output" transformer at the receive end of a balanced line.  The wire resistance should add only marginally to the output impedance of the driving circuit, so what's the down side?

GTD

Curt Sorensen

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2012, 11:22:04 AM »

When I went to look for the link, I saw that he had a new website. I thought he had published more specs previously, and I even remember thinking he might have provided too much info, as someone could build their own from it. It's not there now. There is some more info at:

http://www.steve1mac.blogspot.com/

There's a photo of the innards, a frequency response chart, but nothing regarding phase or the levels it can handle. At the price point and seeing the photo, I doubt that the transformers are stellar. But I've had a lot of luck using them with intercom connections where fidelity is not usually a topic, and I thought they might be worth adding to anyone's kit. I would use them for straight audio in a pinch, but then I have a pair of two-channel Radials for the critical paths to go to first.
It's my understanding that using two transformers makes it work for intercom, but I have to wonder if they're well matched enough to provide balanced audio that's, well, balanced.
And of course I have no connection other than being a satisfied customer.
Curt Sorensen
Madison, Wisconsin

paul bell

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2012, 07:13:25 PM »

I also carry a bunch of Rapco Isoblocks. They're my "magic box".

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2012, 07:13:25 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 24 queries.