ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: QSC PL 9.0 problem/repair?  (Read 4663 times)

John Chiara

QSC PL 9.0 problem/repair?
« on: August 02, 2012, 10:34:20 PM »

Have a Clair 208v PL 9.0 that upon startup has one channel that goes into protect. Had this before on a PL 6.0 and it had to go back to QSC for a Power supply repair. Anyone know of another way?

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Re: QSC PL 9.0 problem/repair?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 05:29:58 PM »

I had a PL6 need a power supply for one channel a few years ago and it had to go back to QSC. The local shop told me that there is a special jig needed to remove/replace something in the PS.

Maybe the PL9 has it too?

There is a guy who repairs QSC in Goshen MA which isn't too far from you.
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Karl Bader

• Karl Bader
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 09:30:40 AM »

Have a Clair 208v PL 9.0 that upon startup has one channel that goes into protect. Had this before on a PL 6.0 and it had to go back to QSC for a Power supply repair. Anyone know of another way?

I remember years ago they pulled the 6.0 and 9.0 for issues of shooting flames... if it's a similar problem, related?

Karl

paul bell

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 08:20:07 PM »

The QSC 9.0/6.0 PFC versions had unexplained power supply failures. Seemingly perfect parts would randomly fail in some units and other units would function for years without any issues. I doubt if they had "shooting flames" as their internal quad 25 amp fusing would blow first.

I have a 9.0 about to go in for what I assume will be power supply upgrades. They now use better more "modern" replacement components.

Local shops can do any repairs except to the power supplies. They require bench setup with a special calibration test fixture that only QSC has.

As this is a very complicated amplifier, it's best that QSC alone do repairs to it. It takes 45 minutes to disassemble one down to it's chassis and double that time to put it back together.

A common problem I've had is the first cap & MOV on the power input filter board blow up-but still allow the unit to operate.

They'll advise you to take advantage of their trade-in deal for a PL380.

Here's the test fixture:

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 08:20:07 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 25 queries.