ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Naiant Mics  (Read 6893 times)

Tomm Williams

Naiant Mics
« on: August 14, 2012, 10:05:35 PM »

Anybody heard of these mics? They offer a mini condenser WITH an ebony violin mount for $39.00 plus shipping. I was told about these mics from some folks an a recording forum who are apparently quite fond of them. As I do quite a bit of work with our symphony, thought they might be worth a gamble.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Naiant Mics
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 11:37:21 PM »

Anybody heard of these mics? They offer a mini condenser WITH an ebony violin mount for $39.00 plus shipping. I was told about these mics from some folks an a recording forum who are apparently quite fond of them. As I do quite a bit of work with our symphony, thought they might be worth a gamble.

Close miking of section instruments is generally not the best idea.  Standard procedure would be an SDC for each stand or two in the string section.  A better, more natural tonal blend is achieved from a few small area "air blends".

Soloists might possibly benefit from an individual mic in some circumstances, but not a $39 unit. 
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Mark Gensman

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 02:42:27 AM »

They are great mics. Don't let the price fool you. The only folks who say they aren't any good are those who haven't used them.

I have two Naiant mics and they are quite nice, especially for the money. Mine get used on acoustic instruments all the time and work very well. Also great lav mics if you can use a wired mic.

I use mine a lot on upright bass with excellent results.

Steve Kennedy-Williams

• Kennedy-Williams.net
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 02:29:57 PM »

They are great mics. Don't let the price fool you. The only folks who say they aren't any good are those who haven't used them.

I have two Naiant mics and they are quite nice, especially for the money. Mine get used on acoustic instruments all the time and work very well. Also great lav mics if you can use a wired mic.

I use mine a lot on upright bass with excellent results.

Good to hear, his battery powered preamps are highly regarded in the Live Recording hobby. Solid builds, good customer communication, a one man boutique company. Am planning on buying a small P48 stereo preamp from him this fall.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 04:38:32 PM »

Good to hear, his battery powered preamps are highly regarded in the Live Recording hobby. Solid builds, good customer communication, a one man boutique company. Am planning on buying a small P48 stereo preamp from him this fall.
\

They might work just fine...... for their intended purpose.  My main concern for the OP is that he's looking at a "band or small ensemble" miking technique for orchestral miking.  I wouldn't recommend anyone go that route.

Tomm Williams

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 10:21:53 PM »

True, I am looking at a live set-up. The strings in this symphony always struggle to get above the horns. Some venues are better than others but In October they play in the most difficult of all used venues. I was hopeful that being a close/contact mic situation, the omni might still be useful. Not planning on miking all the strings, just every other or every third one. Whatever works out to get above the horns. I've tried SDC's over sections, horns still bleed through too much.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 11:06:30 PM »

True, I am looking at a live set-up. The strings in this symphony always struggle to get above the horns. Some venues are better than others but In October they play in the most difficult of all used venues. I was hopeful that being a close/contact mic situation, the omni might still be useful. Not planning on miking all the strings, just every other or every third one. Whatever works out to get above the horns. I've tried SDC's over sections, horns still bleed through too much.

If the horns bleed through that much there is either a problem with placement or you're using the wrong mic. Close mics on sections seldom works as Dick has already pointed out.

As for using as mic of unknown quality I might try one, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't put all of my eggs in one basket. ;)
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 11:18:42 PM »

The best and proper "fix" is at the source.  if the horns are swamping the strings, it's the conductors job to fix it, not the sound man's......unless the conductor asks you specifically for help.  I'm going  to go with someone telling the brass to ease off. 

Mark Gensman

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 02:20:13 AM »

If the horns bleed through that much there is either a problem with placement or you're using the wrong mic. Close mics on sections seldom works as Dick has already pointed out.

As for using as mic of unknown quality I might try one, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't put all of my eggs in one basket. ;)

They are not of "unknown quality". They have been extensively reviewed on multiple professonal audio forums. Perhaps in the live sound world they are not known, but they have been around for a long time and are well known as very decent inexpensive condenser mics.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 07:54:29 AM »

$40 for the mic, $40 for a mount, specialized cable, and specs that aren't very impressive. Maybe for some type of studio use, or maybe with the specs below they might make a good harp mic. Just for grins I'll buy one and compare it to a half dozen other mics.

Total Harmonic Distortion, 1kHz @ 94dBSPL: 0.2% typical
Maximum Level, 1kHz @ 1% THD: 116dBSPL
Maximum Recommended Level: 130dBSPL
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 07:54:29 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.