ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: New(-ish) comms system - GreenGo  (Read 17531 times)

Steve Anderson

Re: New(-ish) comms system - GreenGo
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2012, 01:21:58 PM »

let me introduce my self first

i'm joost van eenbergen system designer of the ethernet based green-go intercom system.
Firstly, thanks for your reply to Pete's questions, it is always good to get info straight from the designers of products. I know the board here encourages manufacturer involvement in the discussions, so it is most welcome.

Secondly, the rules of this sight say names must be full names, and I'm sure a moderator will probably ask you to fix that soon  :)

I do look forward to hearing more about the range as it progresses.

And just for your information if you didn't already know, Pete has just finished running the comms for the opening and closing ceremonies of a rather large sporting event in London  ;)

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2012, 02:06:27 PM »

Hello
let me introduce my self first
i'm joost van eenbergen system designer of the ethernet based green-go intercom system.
if you have any questions please put them here.

Can the beltpacks be anywhere on the internet?
How are devices discovered if they are on vastly different networks?
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

Joost van Eenbergen

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2012, 04:47:25 PM »

Hello steve

i changed my profile.
i normally use the same (vaneenbergen) call sign on any profecional forum, so people know it's me.

i've seen pete's reputation. i'm not worthy (waynes world movie :)

to pete

For the moment unit's need to be on the same network. we're not using ip, but layer2 routing.
An ip bridge is in the planing. to make connections between locations.

A lot of new things are cooking. First on list are the 4-wire and 2-wire interfaces.

joost van eenbergen

Joost van Eenbergen

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2012, 06:58:17 AM »

Hello Steve

At 100 MBits I think the PoE uses the unused pairs... There may however be ethernet issues with doing this, I recall ethernet's 3-4-5 rule back in 50ohm coax days, the 4 indicating max repeater hops. Anyone know?

100Mbit can use either the Spare or Data pairs for power.
The 3-4-5 rule doesn't count anymore, because we're using switches.
We've been working with 20 switches daisychained and looped back.
A switch will introduce a delay in the signal, but that is just 24 micro seconds per switch. The intercom system is designed to don't care about strick timing and there is also no master clock in the set needed.
Just plugging in 2 beltpacks in the network and your done.

BTW the loop back with the switches we did with our ethernet switch from our sister brand ELC. It has a fast looping/backup option in there, so a network line failure will be curent in milli seconds. So ethernet is easy to make backup.

Sorry for the plugs.

Steve Anderson

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2012, 07:04:34 AM »

[...] from our sister brand ELC. It has a fast looping/backup option in there, so a network line failure will be curent in milli seconds.

You mean like Spanning Tree Protocol redundancy except way faster yes? I assume that operates at Layer 2 as well?

And what are the expected timeframes for the various items in the range? You said you were working on the 2 and 4 wire interfaces, what actually is shipping or close to shipping at the moment.

Cheers,
Steve

Joost van Eenbergen

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2012, 07:14:20 AM »

You mean like Spanning Tree Protocol redundancy except way faster yes? I assume that operates at Layer 2 as well?

And what are the expected timeframes for the various items in the range? You said you were working on the 2 and 4 wire interfaces, what actually is shipping or close to shipping at the moment.

Cheers,
Steve

The loop is faster than spanning tree, but needs to be setup in the switches. You can run multiple loops from a single switch.

Just a quick story why we made the system.
My background is in broadcast audio 15 years ago. Making for example digital matrixes and running 128 channels of audio on a fibre.
13 years ago i started a company inDMX controls for lighting and have grown into networks.
2 years ago a client was complaining about the f**ing extra icom cable he had to run next to it's great redundant fibre link.
So i scrabled i'll my ideas together and made a great ethernet based intercom engine.

On sale at the moment are the 2-channel beltpacks and 8-165-24-32 channel desks.
(quick note, 2-channel beltpack means it has quick acces to 2 channels. internally each unit has 32 channels, 1 program audio channel and the possibility for direct connections).

Pipeline:
2-wire , 4-wire wallpanels.
and some install units (be show at the Plasa show next month).

Rest of the pipeline:
you'll see :)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 07:16:00 AM by Joost van Eenbergen »

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2016, 05:16:23 AM »

I know this is an old thread, but the information here is likely still current and relevant.

I'm interested to hear if anyone has any real-world experience with this system, especially wrt the wireless system. (Range/Interference/Comparisons would be great!)
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Andrew Cox

• Audio Alliance
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2016, 10:23:23 AM »

Hello,

We're a big GreenGo user, around 50 units at the moment ( comprising of beltpacks, loudspeaker stations, 2 wire, 4 wire, bridge interfaces ). We've done many projects with GreenGo talkback and really like it, it's incredibly flexible, sounds great, and works well. GreenGo have been very responsive with suggestions and any questions also.

The wireless kit we've had for a few weeks and like it. We've used Telex BTR for many years and we've not found anything else ( up to now ) that we're happy with ( we've tried all the Clearcom / Riedel / Telex systems ).

So comments on the wireless specifically are:

- the range is similar to BTR - we had a show last week with both Telex and GreenGo wireless and both lost signal at the same point outside the main ballroom. ( The Telex had ALP450 aerials also ).
- the audio quality is same as BTR / same as GreenGo wired intercom which is excellent.
- frequency issues - we were a little concerned that in busy 'DECT' environments that the GreenGo would struggle - but so far no issues and we've been in some crowded DECT venues with it.
- useability - the packs have up to 4 channels directly accessed by 4 buttons so very easy to use - further channels can be accessed by another button press. The menu structure follows the wired packs - so easy to use.
- each 'base' can connect to 4 packs, and packs can connect to multiple bases to 'roam' to cover larger areas - we'll be testing that functionality later this week.
- The only negative is that the buttons are black on black so difficult to see in the dark sometimes - but that is such a minor issue in relation to the massive flexibility the system offers that we're prepared to let GreenGo off for that!

I or one of my colleagues are very happy to answer any questions. So DM me or post here and I'll try my best to help.

There's more coming from GreenGo - they are a great find and it's a very good system ;-)

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2016, 05:28:04 PM »

Great stuff, thank you!

Have you compared it to the Radio Active system? I assume the only advantage of RA is the low latency?
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Andrew Cox

• Audio Alliance
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2016, 09:52:27 AM »

Great stuff, thank you!

Have you compared it to the Radio Active system? I assume the only advantage of RA is the low latency?

We've not tried the RA system, we've spoken to them but at the time it wasn't available in the UK. The latency of the GreeGo is very small - I would suggest around 20-30ms, so even radio comms to wired pack there was not a noticable delay with the users standing together.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2016, 09:52:27 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 24 queries.