ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: URGENT!!! SI Compact No Inputs  (Read 20779 times)

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
Re: Re: URGENT!!! SI Compact No Inputs
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2012, 04:17:53 PM »

Digital failures tend to be more catastrophic than analog failures, but I wonder if we truly have gone backwards or forwards with reliability, assuming you could even find an apples to apples comparison.  Some of the most loved analog devices of yesteryear shipped with a trunk of spare parts and occasionally a full-time tech to keep them running - ATI Paragons and Cadacs for example.  Original Varilites were leased as a service with a factory tech close by.  Other products were notorious for exploding - Flame Linear amps, etc.  Another whole category of failures - the miles of analog patch cables to and from outboard gear - are pretty much gone in the Brave New Digital World.

While even for smaller shows it does seem prudent to have a backup console and maybe DSP at the ready since they are usually single points of failure, with advances in size and capability and the incredible drop in price of new digital compared to old analog, it's now easier and cheaper than ever to have these backup items on hand.

Like it or not - we're not going back.

I can think of a couple of made in detroit cars that for the first years of production had to stop for repairs more often than gas.
Jay Barracato

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
Re: URGENT!!! SI Compact No Inputs
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2012, 10:02:12 PM »

So, I can't even delete my own account?  Will one of the asshole moderators around here please do the honors?

Hey, I don't mind you calling me an asshole, but the mods are pretty good guys and nothing but helpful. I'm also thinking that if you own a soldering iron and actually know how to use it, now would be the time to practice doing things on your own.  ;D
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

paul bell

« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2012, 12:08:34 AM »

Mr Bishop, there have been a good number of "shootouts" over the years attended by various people here. Afterwards, we usually end up at some bar/pub/restaurant and shoot the shit.

If you were at one of these and mentioned your console problems, invariably the conversation around the table would've gone close to how it played out here on The Lab.

If it went that way with a bunch of us over burgers and beers after a day of sound gear testing, would you still be pissed?

For the most part, we're all adults here, some are friends and most are relatively well versed in pro audio.

I did notice that your console not only got fixed, they offered you a replacement console. It's good to see a manufacturer step up and cover their thing. Good for you!

I hope you'll stick around. Sometimes threads run a muck but usually come full circle and useful answers and advice or experiences are posted. This is a great place with a swell bunch of people.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 11:19:19 PM by paul bell »

Don Le

« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2013, 12:41:27 AM »

We just encountered the same issue with our board this week.  I called Soundcraft and spoke to a nicest, most professional technical service personnel I've ever seen in my entire life.  He told me that this is a known issue and give me a number to the local Authorized service dealer.  I told him that it will be almost impossible for me to find the original receipt.  He said that Soundcraft will stand behind their product and will take care of the problem for me.  I called the service dealer and they told me that Soundcraft had already called and informed them to expect me.  Wow, first class service.. I took the mixer in around noon, the service dealer called later that afternoon and informed me that Soundcraft is overnighting them a package contain all the component and instruction to fix the problem. 

Here's the bummer.  The next day, which is today, the service dealer called me in the afternoon and said that they had changed out the Transistors and everything tested out fine, but encountered some strange smell like something is burning.  They immediately shut the unit down and reluctant to turn it back on awaiting further instruction from Soundcraft.  By this time, the Soundcraft technical service department had probably already close.  I'll have to wait until Monday to get an update.

I've noticed at least two people that had this same issue here; did you guy encountered anything like this?  Your help is much appreciated. Thanks.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2013, 12:41:27 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.