ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: URGENT!!! SI Compact No Inputs  (Read 15680 times)

Ryan C. Davis

• SL,UT
Re: URGENT!!! SI Compact No Inputs
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2012, 10:13:36 pm »

Why do console makers have so much trouble with power supplies?  You'd think after over four decades of experience, they'd have this crap sorted out.

I've noticed all the big headlining shows where I've gone and scoped out the FOH board and setup I've seen a rack with at a minimum of 1 spare PS ready to rock and roll. Must be something that people have come to grips with.
Ryan Davis

Anthony Forchielli

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2012, 11:09:23 pm »

Do the Si's not have dual internal power supplies? Our Vi1 has the two built in, we were discussing picking up an Si32 as a monitor console and for smaller gigs.  Love how the Vi sounds.  Got to go hands on with an Si at a mixing with professionals and thought it seemed like a nice investment.  I'm curious to see if this problem is resolved quickly and easily. 

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
URGENT!!! SI Compact No Inputs
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2012, 12:38:26 am »

Do the Si's not have dual internal power supplies? Our Vi1 has the two built in, we were discussing picking up an Si32 as a monitor console and for smaller gigs.  Love how the Vi sounds.  Got to go hands on with an Si at a mixing with professionals and thought it seemed like a nice investment.  I'm curious to see if this problem is resolved quickly and easily.

Si and Vi Consoles do have redundant supplies - Si Compact Consoles do NOT. Most of the small digital desks don't, though.

There are a lot of people with no issues, including myself, and they've been out for a bit now. We'd be hearing more if it was an epidemic of this sort of failure there are a bunch of users here.

Good luck with your repair!

paul bell

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2012, 09:12:50 am »

I've had several Soundcraft consoles die at the wrong moments over the years so I haven't trusted or used Soundcraft in a long time. I guess their issues continue with their digital stuff.

Brian Wynn

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2012, 10:42:52 am »

The first thing you should do is put the soundcrap in the dumpster and go out and buy a good digital mixer.  Those si compact desks are the worst sounding and functioning digital mixer I have ever put my hands on.

Riley Casey

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2012, 12:26:31 pm »

Not sure that this is a germaine reply after the OP has already asserted his fondness for the sound of the Soundcraft.  Of course the best sounding board is always the one that is working as opposed to the one that isn't.  Spare power supplies however are a relic of the past in terms of their worth in keeping the show going.  In a digital console the PSU, be it internal or external is no more or less likely to fail than say a display or the central CPU.  The only genuinely reliable way to be sure the show will continue in this brave new world ( not so new at this point ) is to have a back up console.  Absent the required racks of outboard gear on hand that spare ought to be digital as well.

The first thing you should do is put the soundcrap in the dumpster and go out and buy a good digital mixer.  Those si compact desks are the worst sounding and functioning digital mixer I have ever put my hands on.

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
URGENT!!! SI Compact No Inputs
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2012, 01:56:54 pm »

Really? I've never heard anyone else express dissatisfaction with the sound quality of these desks.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2012, 02:04:39 pm »

I haven't mixed on a Compact so I have no idea of how they "sound," but we went from being a 100% Soundcraft shop to being a 0% Soundcraft shop about 10 years ago.   Service and support sucked worse than a $3 hooker.

I've been seeing a number of Vi, particularly in monitors, and the techs that use them speak well of them...  So far I've seen a couple of tours that carry a spare Vi but no spare VENUE.  I suspect part of that is because the VENUE desks are sufficiently ubiquitous that a replacement can likely be hired locally.

That all said, after my 15+ year hate relationship with Soundcraft, I'd entertain owning Vi series.
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Benjamin Krumholz

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2012, 02:46:58 pm »

I'm on a gig right now.  SI 32 shows no inputs and passes no signal through to the channels.  I see no meters and nothing outputs.  Any ideas?  It's been sitting for 8 days, working every day except right before this show.  I've tried the obvious.  Soft patch, hard reset, updated firmware.....  HELP!!  On a MixWiz!

Firstly Thomas this sux! We have 3 Si Compact 16s and they have been pretty reliable. One had to have an FX board replaced.. I was thinking you were possibly booted into the firmware loadin screen if you held the power button for to long..
Another thing we have experienced is that the square buttons can stick and get caught under the face of the mixer. If this happens the mixer can freak out sometimes causing a reset depending on what button is stuck.
Is the mixer still in this state? What happened today? Bet your glad u had the Mix Wizard!

Steve Payne

• Soundworks of Virginia, Inc.
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2012, 06:37:32 pm »

I've had several Soundcraft consoles die at the wrong moments over the years so I haven't trusted or used Soundcraft in a long time. I guess their issues continue with their digital stuff.

Paul, I understand the sentiment. I still carry what is surely an irrational distrust of Crown amps based on experiences nearly 25  years ago.  I don't intend to change your mind, but do need to say that our exprrience with our 2 Vi consoles has been very positive over the past year and a half.  We have had several issues crop up.  None of them show stoppers.  Support has been excellent.  We have been able to reach very knowledgable tech support folks on tbeir personal cell phones at odd hours and on weekends.  Parts, when needed, have arrived quickly.  We are very happy with both the Vi consoles performance and the support we get.  Just sayin.
Steve Payne
like us on Facebook at:
https://www.facebook.com/SOUNDWORKSOFVIRGINIA

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2012, 06:37:32 pm »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 23 queries.