ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Church Scanners - No Idea what I'm doing  (Read 1957 times)

Jamie Cummins

Church Scanners - No Idea what I'm doing
« on: August 11, 2012, 07:58:10 am »

Ok, so we decided to upgrade our light equipment for our church's youth band.  The youth pastor bought 4 Chauvet scanners, a dimmer pack and a DMX control board.  I have never ran real stage lights before (I've run some lights behind color gels on dimmers before) , but I'm one of the only few that helps the youth out that can figure all this out (I'm a computer technician, but I know NOTHING about scanners/placement/etc).  I got the scanners setup and  I can figure out how to run lights fine, but we just set them up on a table so I could figure them out.  Know, he wants to know where to place them around the stage.  So my question comes down to - are there any good rules for placing scanners? behind stage? in front of stage?  We do have a hazer too by the way.  Any help is welcome.  I'll be on this community a lot. Thanks ahead of time.

Sam Feine

• Personal Website
Church Scanners - No Idea what I'm doing
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 09:25:51 am »

It really depends on the look that you are going for. With the hazer placing them behind the stage could give a cool concert like light beam effect, however this would limit their usability as gobo projectors. I would experiment and see what works for you, possibly try two out front and two in back to get more possible combinations.
Electro-Acoustic Engineer at Community Professional Loudspeakers

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
Re: Church Scanners - No Idea what I'm doing
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 09:28:46 am »

Ok, so we decided to upgrade our light equipment for our church's youth band.  The youth pastor bought 4 Chauvet scanners, a dimmer pack and a DMX control board.  I have never ran real stage lights before (I've run some lights behind color gels on dimmers before) , but I'm one of the only few that helps the youth out that can figure all this out (I'm a computer technician, but I know NOTHING about scanners/placement/etc).  I got the scanners setup and  I can figure out how to run lights fine, but we just set them up on a table so I could figure them out.  Know, he wants to know where to place them around the stage.  So my question comes down to - are there any good rules for placing scanners? behind stage? in front of stage?  We do have a hazer too by the way.  Any help is welcome.  I'll be on this community a lot. Thanks ahead of time.
Depends on what you want them to do and what mounting options you have.

If you want to light the stage, one idea would be to put two on a front hang and two on a rear hang. This is most useful with a hazer, otherwise the two lights on the rear won't look like much.

You could put all four in front if the stage, which would allow you to put more light that's visible from the audience. With no hazer this would be better, IMO.

If you want a more DJ-like experience, you would want to put at least some of the lights where they shine on the audience.

You will need to experiment and see how your lights look from the placement options you have - building steel, floor stands, etc. No matter where you put them, be sure to hang them safely - appropriate clamps, safety cables, and if you're using tripod stands - use big ones suitable for the weight of the fixtures with a good margin.

duane massey

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 03:02:47 pm »

More info, please. Model #'s of fixtures and controller. Any other lights/controllers? Permanent or mobile use? Size of stage, number of performers?
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 03:02:47 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 22 queries.